Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" reseller agony!

17" reseller agony!
dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 01:16 PM

OK, it sounds like everyone seems to be getting their AlBook but me! Who else ordered from a reseller? I ordered from MacConnection on 2/20 and they're still quoting 4/15 as their ship date! What gives? Who else is in the same situation? When did you order, from what reseller, and what is their shipping ETA?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by dlindsay17:
OK, it sounds like everyone seems to be getting their AlBook but me! Who else ordered from a reseller? I ordered from MacConnection on 2/20 and they're still quoting 4/15 as their ship date! What gives? Who else is in the same situation? When did you order, from what reseller, and what is their shipping ETA?
Mine is shipping from PowerMax today. Their site says they have em in stock. Check it out.

www.powermax.com

fyodor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 02:14 PM

Same problem here. I ordered mine from MacConnection on 2/25. I don't know why they seem to be lagging behind so many other mac resellers. next time, i'm going macWarehouse

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 02:24 PM

I ordered mine from MacMall on 1/8. Received on 3/29. This seems to be about on par (within a week or so) of when they started shipping out to customers who ordered directly from Apple, right? The slightly extra wait is worth the savings on sales tax.

They did forget my "free" memory (512mb for $39 is still a damn good deal) but that was resolved with a simple phone call.

Moose
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by fyodor:
Same problem here. I ordered mine from MacConnection on 2/25. I don't know why they seem to be lagging behind so many other mac resellers. next time, i'm going macWarehouse
Your problem is that you ordered on February 25. PC Connection received the first 50 last Friday, and were scheduled to receive another 25 yesterday (dunno if they did or not). As of Friday afternoon, there were over 250 open orders, so your order is probably in the 100-150 range, if not higher, due to the typical buying pattern of lots of people ordering on the first couple of days, but only a trickle of orders over the next few weeks until they are in stock at Ingram Micro.

For whatever it's worth (not much) PC Connection is an APPLE PRIORITY RESELLER, so they're going to get them about the same time as (or earlier than) PC Warehouse.

Doesn't matter what reseller you order from. They all get shafted, unless you're lucky enough to order from a reseller that didn't have many orders placed.

MayaPower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2003, 02:31 PM

Yeah...I ordered mine from MacZone in January with the free RAM and extras. They assure me that I am at the top of the reserve list and that quite possibly I might have mine by the end of this month. It is quite frustrating indeed. I would like a set date but Apple appears to not be giving that to the resellers. The price was much better than what Apple direct was charging but the wait time is painful. I can deal with it provided that my machine comes to me in working condition...if not I could be a very unhappy camper. I am going to keep my fingers crossed.
SGI O2 512 RAM
Macintosh G3 300 minitower 128 RAM
Macintosh Albook 17inch 1gig RAM

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by fyodor:
I ordered from MacConnection last night (3/31) and they told me mine will ship next week. They said they're getting in 200 this week, then another big order next week. I have a feeling they're just saying 4/15 to cover themselves just in case. The rep said "It looks like the flood gates are starting to open up."

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 04:33 PM

The rep said "It looks like the flood gates are starting to open up."
I sure as heck hope so!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 10:41 PM

Did I not STRESS the fact that Powermax is SHIPPING NOW? Mine will be here tomorrow. Cmon people- talk to the people that know and love Macs and understand what we are going through...

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 12:28 AM

i want my free 512mb of ram

bertoganzon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 03:00 AM

Yeah, I ordered 1/20 from MacWarehouse and it just shipped today 4/1.

MacWarehouse actually told me last week that they were not suppose to ship the Powerbooks 'til the end of this week, but received shipment early.

I can't tell you that you will receive it earlier than expected, but according to the posts here, it looks like you will.

Good luck, I know EXACTLY how you feel!

cliff
Apr 2, 2003, 05:13 AM

Dood, don't complain. There are still people like me that ordered from Apple the day of the keynote and still haven't recieved thiers..

jxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 11:13 AM

After waiting three months on Amazon and two on CDW, my pb17" was just delivered today from powermax (thanks for the heads-up)....

My sympathies to those who are still waiting - it isn't fair.

BTW - CDW just received another shipment today...

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by cliff:
Dood, don't complain. There are still people like me that ordered from Apple the day of the keynote and still haven't recieved thiers..

Whoa, I didn't know...You're order is still in the system, right? Sounds to me like apple has some funky random number generator prioritizing their shipments. Good luck!

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2003, 11:30 AM

Don't believe anything you hear...a la CNN.

I called my MacConnection rep this morning and was told their backorders from Apple are not expected in for 2 to 3 more weeks.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2003, 12:14 PM

Correct info on Powermax. I emailed them this morning, here's their response:

"Richard, this is Gary Mead, your sales rep here at PowerMax. Thank you for your inquiry. I have plenty of these in stock! "

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 12:29 PM

I called PowerMax yesterday (4/1/2003), spoke with Maiya, and have just received my new 17" PowerBook. Upgraded the RAM through PowerMax as well.

Immediately cancelled my order (place 2/21/2003) with MacWarehouse.

I'm very pleased with the service that I've gotten with PowerMax to this point.

There was no free memory upgrade like with the other resellers, however, it was only $99 installed.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 01:06 PM

Odd, I just called MacConnection and it said their phone number had been disconnected. What gives?

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 02:57 PM

after SERIOUSLY looking at the PowerMax deal (I got a quote from Gary as well...) I called MacConnection one last time to see what their psuedo-fabricated delivery estimate was today. They guy said they're expecing 160 or so in today or tomorrow and that they've shipped out 60 or so already. Chalk all those estimates up against the 2-3 weeks quoted to some forum members and you can go crosseyed!

Moose
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
Odd, I just called MacConnection and it said their phone number had been disconnected. What gives?
I'm sorry. Your call could not be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again.

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
I'm sorry. Your call could not be completed as dialed. Please check the number and dial again.
1-888-213-0260?

freud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 04:00 PM

I am getting mine tomorrow.

MacZone: order 1/22, ship 4/1

They got 20 in last week, and now getting shipments daily. Rep initially said call back for update this Friday, but it looks like my order came through earlier.

I totally understand the slow torture waiting for these machines. But I think everyone will have them in their hands soon enough, with reports from all resellers that they are shipping them. Give it a week more.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
I e-mailed them about this. They said to call 1-800-800-5555

And now they're telling me 4/15.
( Last edited by parsec_kadets; Apr 2, 2003 at 05:40 PM. )

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2003, 11:07 PM

F**k it. I cancelled my order with MacConnection this morning after receiving promises from 3 weeks to the day before I retire. I called PowerMax and ordered a 17", upgraded the RAM to 1 gig for $80 installed ($40 for chip, $40 to install), and $42 for next day FedEx.

First, let me say thanks to those of you who brought this reseller to our attention. INCREDIBLY professional and refreshingly responsive.

Highly recommended, and yes, they have "lots" of 17" PBs in stock ready to ship to your own front door!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 11:26 PM

I am glad to see that some of you have ended your agony and visited PowerMax. I have to second that they are incredibly professional. Though I don't receive my PB til the AM- (I'm completely across the country and got 2nd Day Air) I am confident that my order will be complete and if I have any questions or concerns, they will take care of me.

I don't mean to sound like an ad, but I have been quite impressed with the service I have gotten and like to plug "the little guy".

Unlike some of the resellers, I was never told one thing and shown another, I never pay for the "FREE" stuff that others offer. Sure- I can have a FREE $99 printer, (after I pay shipping and *hopefully* send in two rebates). But I already have a printer! I'm never confused by pricing unless I go to some of those resellers that many are waiting on. I'll pay the extra couple of bucks for service like I get at PowerMax. And I'm sure that those of you who have *switched* will enjoy the difference.

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 11:29 PM

Yep, I have a new friend in PowerMax.

I didn't think of myself as being that naive about the Mac world, however, I've never heard of PowerMax before Monday, when I ordered the PowerBook that I'm writing this message on now.

I'm sure there was a fair amount of being-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time luck involved. But my rep at MacWarehouse was becoming too neglectant in his lack of responding to my emails that the service I was receiving was just too poor. It was refreshing to have the experience I've had with PowerMax this week.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

dlindsay17  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 10:18 PM

I just called and MacConnection is shipping a truckload of these out TONIGHT (mine included!!!) The waiting is over...for some anyway!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 12:39 AM

I just called and MacConnection is shipping a truckload of these out TONIGHT (mine included!!!) The waiting is over...for some anyway!
That's about a day late from what they told me when I placed my order earlier in the week, so that's encouraging. They told me then that they were also going to send out a bunch more early next week. This is why they guy thought I would get mine next week. He said I wouldn't be in the first big shipment, but I would be in the second.

Lord Zulac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 12:56 AM

I ordered on 2/5 from Club Mac and got a letter in the mail explaining that my order has been delayed and that it would be another 30 days. I picked up the phone, called powermax and they had 40 units left so I ordered one and it ships tomorrow!! Woo-hoo. Thanks KeriVit for the the info!

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2003, 02:25 PM

Got mine this morning from PowerMax.

Again, exceptional service, no lies or delivery fabrications, and people who actually know what they're talking about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules