Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Aluminum and Ocean Front Living

Aluminum and Ocean Front Living
Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 01:16 AM

Aloha,

I've read that some have experienced palm rest that corrode, I assume due to sweat. It's hard to get a handle on how widespread that issue is, but it appears much less so than the uneven illumination issue with Rev. A 15" PB, which "appears" fixed in Rev. B.

Does anyone who owns an Al PB also live oceanfront, or at least very near the ocean? Have you experienced corrosion of the Al casing due to exposure to salt in the air from ocean water?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 01:39 AM

nothing yet .. hope to hell that corrosion on the palm rests doesnt happen to me .. dag .. scary scary scary

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2004, 02:43 AM

I have my AL PB's palm rests and touchpad button (and upper lid surface) protected using clear, self stick, Avery laminating plastic. It sticks on and gives invisible protection against watchband abrasion and salty palm corrosion. I just peel it off, wipe clean with alcohol and apply another piece once in a LONG while. Works great. No problems with overheating either. Just trim some pieces to fit, peal and press into place. Cheap too!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
Aloha,

Does anyone who owns an Al PB also live oceanfront, or at least very near the ocean? Have you experienced corrosion of the Al casing due to exposure to salt in the air from ocean water?
Yes. My apartment faces the ocean. I can see the entire side of my island from my balcony. To get some perspective, I bought my Al 15" PB Jan. 2004 in Texas. I've been at my apartment in Saipan (island in the Pacific Ocean) for about 4 1/2 months. I have noticed a corrosion-like look to my PB.

When I got back to the US, I got a lint-free monitor wipe and cleaned the outer casing with it, then followed up with a damp soft paper towel. And that did the trick.

I think the corrosion look was only temporary. But then again, time will tell. So far though, the corrosive look has not come back since cleaning it 2 weeks ago. Hope that helps.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 11:57 AM

sidenote: Saipan is gorgeous ... how did u get out there?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 02:26 PM

Lancer409: I work for the school system there. My college friend moved out there about 2 years ago and told me about it. I had never heard of Saipan before that.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 10:03 PM

Wow, I never heard of the corrosion before... is that due to sweat, or the ocean air?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 01:51 AM

I'm not sure. The part that had the corrosive-look was were I normal grab when I transport the PowerBook. So my guess is that the salt air interacts with my sweat somehow. The scary thing is that I am VERY careful with my PB. I baby it. Before using it I usually wash and dry my hands. I guess after using the PB for a few hours, sweat inevitably builds up in my hands and so when I pick up the PB the sweat is transferred from my hands/palms to the PB.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 04:26 AM

dang .. too bad no applestore on saipan =P ...

saipan was involved in wwii ... fell asleep in history class eh? =P

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 05:00 AM

shoot - I'm about to move 6 blocks away from the beach

I'm pretty excited - but should I worry about my G5 and Powerbook?
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 05:13 AM

HasanDaddy: I just think it's too early to tell. Again, my experience may be an isolated case, others may vary. I'm back in Texas now, will be heading back to Saipan in 3 weeks. I should be there for a while after that, I guess I'll find out after I get back.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 08:01 AM

could just be me but is it the ozone in the air or something near the sea?? maybe im just imagining things. Ozone is damn corrosive though but aluminium is quite good at the hole resisting corrosion thing due to the oxide layer.

Im sure a chemist or something is gonna come along and tell me im beeing stupid now
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

flypenfly
Jun 23, 2004, 12:13 PM

Interestingly, I grew up in Saipan... was there for about ten years. haha, weird coincidence. Although its been close to ten years since I've been there.

tomfoolry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2004, 02:35 PM

It sounds possible. I live about 2 blocks from the beach, in one of the foggiest areas around, and I've noticed my car react a bit to the salt, but I've had my pb for almost a year with no corrosion.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 04:08 PM

flypenfly: That's so cool! Funny thing is that I had NEVER heard of Saipan before. I guess I must have missed it in history class or they didn't mention it as it ws important in WWII. From what people have told me, it has changed alot since you were there 10 years ago. But the people are still very nice.

tomfoolry: Yeah, the salt air where I live also corrodes automobiles. So I don't know how the PB's aluminum casing will hold up. Again, for me, it's still too early to tell. I just need to take even better care of it than before.

[Update:] Oh, just to clarify. I use my PB next to 2 big sliding doors (which are always open and it's very windy where I'm at) that lead out to my balcony. So I wonder if I'm subjecting the PB to more than the average beach-front user.

Starry Night  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I live on Maui. For 6 years I lived 4 blocks from the beach and for the past two live in Kula on slopes of the volcano. On my aluminum framed bike that was new when I moved here, virtually every piece of metal is corroded and the rubber pieces have all turned to balls of goo. However, the aluminum frame has no rust at all, even the scratches aren't rusted.

Of course all that says is that an aluminum bike frame is rust resistant.

But having read about the palm rest corrosion issue, I began to wonder about the PB........

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
Thanks for the replies. I live on Maui. For 6 years I lived 4 blocks from the beach and for the past two live in Kula on slopes of the volcano. On my aluminum framed bike that was new when I moved here, virtually every piece of metal is corroded and the rubber pieces have all turned to balls of goo. However, the aluminum frame has no rust at all, even the scratches aren't rusted.

Of course all that says is that an aluminum bike frame is rust resistant.

But having read about the palm rest corrosion issue, I began to wonder about the PB........
poor bike ... cool story. any idea if aluminum chemically reacts to other substances? and before someone gets wise on me, i'm wondering if it reacts chemically and corodes or if it's resistant to that. dont tell me powerbooks get high on weed etc.. lol

cliff
Jun 24, 2004, 07:57 PM

I live by the ocean and have had my AI 17" for about a year. No corrosion here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules