Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod and Skiing...

iPod and Skiing...
PatsPalace24
Sep 14, 2004, 04:09 PM

Hello all. Yes Yes, coming up is winter, which means skiing. I just got an iPod last Christmas, and took it a few times skiing, which I loved. However, i just put it in my pocket, not even thinking about falling and stuff. This year, I want to be prepared. If anybody can recomend a method they use for ski/snowboarding w/ their ipod... casing? How would you guys recomend? Thanks alot. I appreciate.

PS. I know it is a "safety hazard", but just ignore that one for a second please. Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 06:01 PM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2004, 08:13 PM

LiliPod

But, ouch... I wouldn't want to fall on it weird.

homgran
Sep 16, 2004, 08:30 AM

Are you planning on listening to the James Bond Theme while you hit the slopes, by any chance? That would just be too cool.

-Matt

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2004, 11:14 AM

That looks like an awesome jacket, with iPod controls right at your fingertips. Damn, I want that ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

OreoCookie
Sep 16, 2004, 12:58 PM

Theoretically, you could, but practically, I wouldn't dare because of my skiing skills (rather the lack thereof). Plus, I wouldn't want anyone listening to music instead of watching the `traffic'.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

billybob128
Senior User
Sep 16, 2004, 03:41 PM

personally i just keep it in my pocket and try not to fall but i no my brother keeps his in a ock and that works perfectly

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 01:05 AM

I have one of the Burton jackets that has a pocket that the iPod will fit in but without all the buttons. I tried skiing with the iPod, but I found that while cool, it is distracting because you can't focus as well on your surroundings. Save the music for the apr� ski.

nerd
Senior User
Sep 17, 2004, 01:54 AM

Last year I had bought a 40GB iPod for this same reason. The first day on the slope at Wolf Creek I get ready to go on a run by myself, leaving the girlfriend and brother at base. I reach in my jacket to plug in the headphones and the iPod was no longer in my inside pocket. I sh^t, ran up to the lift which couldn't come close to moving fast enough. On the way up the lift I could only think of 2 places it would have fell out, one where I went over head first on the snowboard and the other where I hit a big bump that I couldn't see (it was getting dark).

I found the iPod at the second place, only about a 1/4" of the black clip on the case was sticking out of the snow. I couldn't believe know one had picked it up. It was in the black case, had to have been easy to spot before it got covered with snow.

If I keep the same jacket this year I'm going to use safety pins and pin the inside pocket shut. You can do all you need from the remote.

Brad

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
That looks like an awesome jacket, with iPod controls right at your fingertips. Damn, I want that ...

haha .. i saw that last ski season .. didnt have an ipod then ... and i wouldnt want to try adjutsing earbuds with gloves on .. lol .. or break it ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
haha .. i saw that last ski season .. didnt have an ipod then ... and i wouldnt want to try adjutsing earbuds with gloves on .. lol .. or break it ..
I'd just use it to go to work during the winter, it's a 30 min walk and I always take my iPod with me ... it can get pretty cold here in winter .

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 06:12 AM

iPods are distracting when going really fast down a mountain side. I'd be wary of listening to anything while doing this sport.

Forum Links
Forum Rules