Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > logitech optical vs intellimouse optical

logitech optical vs intellimouse optical
mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 08:22 AM

Which should i get?

which one has worked/not worked for you?

do the extra buttons work in os X?

t.i.a.

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2001, 09:28 AM

Well, I use the intellimouse explorer. No problems so far, love the 5 buttons (2 at the side for easy net surfing -fwd and back buttons) and scroll wheel. However, the silver is getting worn away leaving a dull grey beneath (almost 2 years).

Heard that the logitech cordless mouseman optical has a better scanning resolution almost double? resulting in more precise tracking. Now if it came with the same button layout as the explorer (it has one less button at the side) I would definitely get it.
It is not only lower in height (easier to stow in my carrying case), it is cordless.

Don't really know if there are driver available for both both mice in OS X.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 09:57 AM

The Logitech Optical works fine for me(well, it did until I dumped coffee on it and had to replace it). The scroll wheel is supported by default in Cocoa apps, and in some Carbon apps. I think I've read that the Finder in 10.1 will support it too. Anyway, I like it--a solid deal for $30.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2001, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by blot:
Well, I use the intellimouse explorer. No problems so far, love the 5 buttons (2 at the side for easy net surfing -fwd and back buttons) and scroll wheel. However, the silver is getting worn away leaving a dull grey beneath (almost 2 years).
This is also my experience � I really like the side buttons and wheel, and the silver finish is eroding. I've had mine since January of this year.

FWIW, T

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 06:32 PM

My logitech MouseMan Optical is awesome. Best mouse I've ever owned and a heck of a lot cheaper than the top of the line M$ mouse.

Circa
Senior User
Jul 25, 2001, 04:26 AM

It is true, the mice have gotten better and the logitech may have a higher optical rez or something. But still you cannot go wrong with the intelli.

Go for the intelli.
Circa

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2001, 05:29 AM

I have owned three IntelliMouse Opticals and two Logitech Wheel Mice (the blue optical one). I beleive somewhere along the line I've had an IntelliMouse Explorer and a wireless optical one from Logitech.

In my experience, the Logitech mice have an extremely good build quality. M$ mice have nice designs, but they seem to be strangely flimsy. The cords notoriously pull out of the Explorer models. However, M$ tech support is great in the experience of my friends; they do not ask many questions, they ask the serial of your mouse and your shipping information to send you another one.

For gaming, I'd go with the blue Logitech Wheel Mouse.

For browsing and less-demanding activities, I'd get the IntelliMouse Optical (or maybe the Explorer if you have big hands).

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2001, 06:03 AM

Get the KENSINGHTON optical pro. This mouse kicks butt I love it My frinend has the logietech one and hates it but who knows that my 2 cents
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

GetSome681
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 09:55 AM

I've had my intellimouse explorer for quite some time now..and it's a piece of crap...the buttons are nice and all, but everyone is right, it's just made like crap...the silver finish and all...PLUS...i have an even bigger problem than most..my infrared eye..it just stops working at all, and my mouse freezes, then i have to bang it, and around 8 seconds later it will start working again...this happens at least 15 times a day...and some times it just won't work again, and i have to try unplugging it over and over, or sometimes just rebooting. I'd go back to that stupid one button apple one, but I can't find it

stupid microsh*t mouse....

<BannanaFiend>
Jul 25, 2001, 02:08 PM

Well as for the intellimouse explorer, a friend of mine is on his third (the led went out on his last two). This has happened in the course of a year or two. Another friend who owns a microsoft optical mouse (I don't recall which one) started having similar troubles with the led about three or four months ago, so this is not an isolated event. I know for certain that my next mouse purchase will be from kensington or logitech, not M$.

-BannanaFiend

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 02:37 PM

M$ claims to provide a Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty for their intellimouse explorer (the rest of their optical mice have a 5yr warranty only) while the logitech optical mice have a 5yr warranty.

Does this mean that if the optics in the M$ mouse fail, I will be able to get a free replacement anytime? Perhaps that is why that mouse is so expen$ive.

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2001, 11:30 PM

went for the logitech.
thanks for everyones input, it was a tough decision.

cheers,
michael

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: mike one ]

poocat
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 10:42 AM

woo-woo!

logitech takes another one.

god i love my logitech.

no one mentioned the major drawback of the ms mouse
(other than being made by ms, i mean)

it won't work if you're left handed.
now, while i'm right handed,
many of my friends are left handed, and i don't think i would ever buy a mouse that can only be used by right handers. seems like a waste when the uni ones are just as cheap if not cheaper, work just as well if not better and are cool blue colors, too!

(logitech does make a right handed model, so obviously that's not the one i'm talking about)

go logitech!

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 10:51 PM

Poocat forgot to mention that lefties WILL rule the world

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2001, 09:52 AM

just opened the logitech box and am playing with it!

no out of the box special funtion in 0S9.1, tried usb overdrive shareware which works awesome. haven't tried logtech software, because i've read a lot of bad things about it see www.macintouch.com

in osx the wheel and right buttons work out of the box!!!

omniweb takes better advantage of the middle button than IE but the scroll works in both.

thanks again to all.

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 05:09 PM

Hey i just bought logitech optical mouse too! Works great! As for the lefties, scientists say that more right handed people live longer than left handed people.... just a useless fact...

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 09:42 AM

Yeah, lefties have many more car accidents because they are more inclined to turn left to avoid an obstacle. Obviously, this sends them into incoming traffic (in the US of A, anyway) and leaves them in a much worse position in terms of safety. However, this won't stop us from ruling the world!! Aaaahhhh!!!!!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2001, 11:08 PM

late visitor to this thread...
the recently-updated (4.0) software works great with the logitech opt.mouse, which itself is great, excellent feel, tracking...

got my right click doing all my double-clicking, nice...

btw, we left-handers may live shorter lives, but importantly, much more exciting & meaningful ones...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2001, 01:46 AM

Muuch more meanigful??? Maybe you're right...... What about those people who use both hands??

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2001, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by wANCO tHE sANE:
What about those people who use both hands??
You're basically screwed.

kingturd
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2001, 04:07 PM

The only non-Apple mouse I've ever had is my $30 blue Logitech mouse (i'm sure it has a special name that i don't know). It's worked great with USB Overdrive and OS X. The MouseWare software by logitech crashed me in 9 a lot, which is why i went to USB Overdrive. My only complaint is that my wheel scrolls kind of clunky and makes a clicking noise. Everyone else I know who has this mouse though doesn't have that problem, so it must just be me.

My friend bought an MS Intellimouse Optical Eye World Domination Edition or whatever the heck the first MS Optical Mouse was for mac. It has since crashed his computer constantly, dropped support for the right button and scroll wheel, and eventually stopped working all together. The end result? He bought one of those Logitech mice that fit the contour of your hand.

Logitech is the win.

drmemory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 10:55 AM

Had trouble with all mice in my house til i got the logitech optical for my wife and her iBook. she loves it and it is so much better than the ball mice when you live in a house with lots of dogs (dog hair and dog dust gets in everything electronic).

pysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2001, 04:29 PM

I have the the blue logitech mouseman, the right handed one, even though I'm left handed, who knows? I have always used the right hand with the mouse, so it works. After using my bro-in-law's MS optical, I will stay with my logitech forever!! It just has an infinitely better feel to it, and is much more comfortable to use. I highly recommend getting one if you haven't. Optical is the only way to go!
iMac G5 1.8 17" SD/768MB/80GB
iPod Mini 4gb Rev. B
external firewire 400 120GB drive

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2001, 12:13 PM

the logitech is still rocking in the free world.

overall very impressed with it.
the software is really crappy (4.0), they even pulled it from their severs i think! there is a bit of jerkyness with the mouse sometimes, i think it's the drivers! bah�

just for fun i pulled out unreal tournament and have been playing that lately. the mouse works awesome with it.
thanks again all.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2001, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by kingturd:
<STRONG>The only non-Apple mouse I've ever had is my $30 blue Logitech mouse (i'm sure it has a special name that i don't know). It's worked great with USB Overdrive and OS X. The MouseWare software by logitech crashed me in 9 a lot, which is why i went to USB Overdrive. My only complaint is that my wheel scrolls kind of clunky and makes a clicking noise. Everyone else I know who has this mouse though doesn't have that problem, so it must just be me.

My friend bought an MS Intellimouse Optical Eye World Domination Edition or whatever the heck the first MS Optical Mouse was for mac. It has since crashed his computer constantly, dropped support for the right button and scroll wheel, and eventually stopped working all together. The end result? He bought one of those Logitech mice that fit the contour of your hand.

Logitech is the win.</STRONG>
Kingturd, what is this 'USB overdrive' of which you speak? I love my Logitech Optical, but i'm not really diggin' the Mouseware that came with it. I prefer the intellimouse version where you just click the wheel and then move your mouse around to scroll.

Is 'USB overdrive' an alternative mouse driver? Is there such a thing as alternative mouse driver for a Logitech Opticam mouse?? I hope so, thanks!
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 07:02 AM

www.versiontracker.com

Search for USB Overdrive.

It's a very neat utility that will allow you to bind keys/functions to mouse buttons. You'll see.

This is what Microsoft based its IntelliPoint for Mac utility on.

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2001, 06:56 AM

Brilliant! USB Overdrive is the answer to my prayers! I wonder how many other neat utilites are lurking out there....... Maybe I should pay more attention.... Thanks seanyepez!
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Forum Links
Forum Rules