Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook seems slower after TIger install...

Powerbook seems slower after TIger install...
PatsPalace24
Jun 20, 2005, 08:07 PM

Just a quick question guys... after I installed Tiger, my powerbook just seems a bits slower. It is just not as snappy when the Finder opens, as well as programs opening and their speed. I see the spinning rainbow thing a WHOLE lot more. I have a Powerbook G4 1.5 w/ 80gb and 512mb. The install "mode" I did just basically updated the OS, keeping all my apps and everything. I hear that there is a "clean" install that wipes your HD, and fresh installs Tiger. Will this speed up my computer, and what would be the best way to back up all my apps mainly? THanks guys, I want my speedy Powerbook back! Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

theyoda3
Jun 20, 2005, 08:48 PM

The same thing happened to my powerbook. I did Archive an install. I have a 1.33ghz with 768 ram. I was also wondering the same thing if doing a clean install would help.

KenDallas
Jun 20, 2005, 09:06 PM

Well, I have a Powerbook 15" 1.67, with 1gb RAM. It came with Panther but I installed Tiger not too long ago. Tiger seems to be faster as compared to Panther for me. Keep in mind though that once you install Tiger it will spend a good amount of time "indexing" your hard-drive contents for use with Spotlight. If you have an external drive with more data then indexing could take longer. Once the indexing is done Tiger for me in fact is much faster than Panther.

For the record, I chose the "Erase and Install" option when installing Tiger.

babyjenk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 09:46 PM

If you read through past posts re: this problem, you'll see that doing a clean install is the answer. I did a clean install when upgrading to Tiger and everything has been faster. As for backing up, I copied everything onto 5 DVDs before erasing everything. But others have found second hard drives to be helpful, and if I had one, I probably would've done that. There are also some backup programs out there, but I'm not sure which ones are the best. Good luck!

pcummins
Jun 21, 2005, 04:57 AM

I recommend a clean install of 10.4. Also, Spotlight starts chewing up some serious resources/disk IO after it kicks in, so you should disable it for some things like Eudora etc which really slows the PB down noticably as it reprocesses the inboxes and folders. You can also disable it, then re-enable it for some folders to see what the speed is like and customize it to your liking. Disk IO suffers badly on slower 4200 disks, 5400's are so-so, I'd like to get a 7200 to really get it speeding along nicely.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2005, 08:26 PM

A clean install is always best. Backup anything you will need, and start with a fresh Tiger install. I would bet you will see a difference in performance.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 10:05 PM

Double Post
( Last edited by PatsPalace24; Jun 22, 2005 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Double Post)
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

PatsPalace24  (op)
Jun 21, 2005, 10:07 PM

Great. You don't know how happy this makes me feel... I was worried my bragging rights over the brothers XP box were gone! But real quick question. In order to do this "clean install," I need to back everything up. I have never backed anything up, I know thats bad and I need to start, so I guess I start now... I know I should back up my applications and and everything like FCP, ect... Documents would be nice, but not a necessity...
But my main question is how to backup? I don't have an external HD and iPod isnt big enough. I have plenty of blank DVD's, so I guess this would be the easiest. Do I just drag my apps folder inot Toast or what (I don't think thats right). Please help, b/c I want this clean install soon! Thanks alot guys!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 05:03 AM

Well, if you have .Mac or another backup program, you could use that, to backup your keychain, Safari bookmarks, as well as apps, and documents. Backup those apps you don't have an ability to restore. Moreover, any itunes songs that you don't have access to. It is a pain, but take a close look at what is on your system, and what you want back.
Backing up to a CD is okay, you don't need to take the whole app folder, just those programs that you added after you installed or ran panther for the first time.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Jun 22, 2005, 10:47 AM

Yes, I do have a .Mac subscription. I will look into that, and try to figure something out... Any other ideas?
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
20 GB 3G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules