Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 15" 1.5GHz memory upgrade advise

G4 15" 1.5GHz memory upgrade advise
Nyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 01:28 AM

hello guys, i'm new to mac ( less then 3months of experience) .... i bought a pb15" in july and thinking of upgrading the memory to 1GB. should i buy one 1GB ram or two 512 ram ??? wut are the pros and cons ??? and more... does it come w/ one 512 or two 256 stock ?? thx

hmccorkle
Aug 29, 2005, 01:32 AM

Go for 1 stick of 1GB, you will not only save a slot for an additional stick if you ever need it, but you will save whomever installs that stick some trouble as well. The only downside is the price increase the 1GB has over 2x512MB
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 08:03 AM

When it comes to ram, if a little helps a little, a lot helps a lot.

One gig will be a big improvement. 1.5 will be better.

I have the same PB and it came with one 512 stick. I added a 1 gig for a total of 1.5

I couldn't belive the improvement it made.

You can check the system profiler to see what you have in there now.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 08:47 AM

They come with 2x256 modules stock. I'd recommens a 1GB module, meaning you'd have to replace 1 module, and run the machine with 1.256MB RAM, better still than 1GB... If you'd want to upgrade in the future, then you'd just need to buy a 512 or a 1GB module, instead of replacing the 2x512 modules...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 03:37 PM

Apple came to their senses. The current 15" Powerbooks, both 1.5GHz and 1.67GHz, come with 512MB in the form of one DIMM with one slot empty.

I'd say if you're going to bother to upgrade then add a 1GB DIMM for a total of 1.5GB and be done with it. Once you fill both slots you have to pull a DIMM to upgrade further and you won't later wish you'd gone for the 1GB additional instead of 512MB.
Your Mac could help understand and cure disease

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 10:05 PM

It depends on how high you want to go, 1.5 Gig or 2 Gig of Ram. If you think you'll be fine iwth 1.5, then I would just buy the 1 512MB stick and buy the 1 Gig online. I got a 1 Gig stick for my PB and it's great now.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Nyl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 11:13 PM

thx dudes, i guess i'll go for one 1GB module...
but the comments seem a little bit diverse on whether it comes w/ 1x512 or 2x256, can i hear more ppl's feedback ?
in reference i have the latest pb 15" 1.5GHZ up-to-date.

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 07:58 AM

Go to the Apple menu, click About this Mac and then click the More Info button. that will start the system profiler and there's a memory section where you can see what's in what slot.

I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and it came with 1 512 stick.

hcorf
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 08:59 AM

can any of you guys remember what kind of tasks the ram makes a big diffrence to? I mostly just do iLife and internet/email on mine but i recently got a copy of FCP5, would it improve render times and responsiveness?

asking really because i am a student, and 1gb of ram is quite a lot of money for me, but if it makes my pb into the machine it should be, it definitely sounds worth it.
PB 15" 1.5ghz : 1gig : Combo

Forum Links
Forum Rules