Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cds won't mount

cds won't mount
alamosf
Aug 26, 2005, 03:15 AM

just got a pre-owned powerbook (g4, 1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram, 100gb hd, tiger) and after i'd easily transfered all my files/preferences from my old ibook (g4, 800mhz, 640ram, 40gb, 10.3.9) i loaded a blank cd and it wouldn't mount. this happened on my old ibook and i was told that i didn't have enough disc space for it to mount (i had less than 1gb HD left) so i thought having this new powerbook would take care of this, but apparently not. maybe i imported some bug or preference? regarding the latter, i checked the options, especially regarding the one which asks what would happen if i were to insert a blank cd to which i'd chosen for it to open itunes...

ideas? thanks.....
powerbook 1.5ghz, g4, 1.25gb ram, superdrive, 100 hd

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 26, 2005, 04:27 AM

i remembered my old TiBook 400 Mhz wouldn't mount CDs/DVDs either. My current 12" PB's ability to load CD/DVDs also faded out. I think it's the motors or rubber grabbers that help suck in the disc is out of alignment. I had to get the optical drive replaced under warranty.

I liked the old optical drives with the tray 'cuz I could use those smaller mini-CDs and I didn't have to worry about the slot-loading drives not correctly sucking in my discs.

Not sure if that will help.

Maybe go to System Preferences and select CD/DVD media and tell OS X to do nothing whenever a blank disc is inserted.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 26, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by alamosf
just got a pre-owned powerbook (g4, 1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram, 100gb hd, tiger) and after i'd easily transfered all my files/preferences from my old ibook (g4, 800mhz, 640ram, 40gb, 10.3.9) i loaded a blank cd and it wouldn't mount. this happened on my old ibook and i was told that i didn't have enough disc space for it to mount (i had less than 1gb HD left) so i thought having this new powerbook would take care of this, but apparently not. maybe i imported some bug or preference? regarding the latter, i checked the options, especially regarding the one which asks what would happen if i were to insert a blank cd to which i'd chosen for it to open itunes...

ideas? thanks.....
Not enough disk space to mount a cd? I have never heard of this and I cannot imagine a reason why mounting a cd would need more than a few kB.

If the cd does not mount on both books please try to change the cd brand. It is unlikely that both drives are defective. It is more likely that the cd is bad.

Maybe you can ask someone to copy the cd to a disk with another brand and try again.

But the slot in drives sometimes show this problem. It is due to a misalignment/wear out of the mechanism (at least my old TiBook has developed this problem).

rparke1
Banned
Aug 26, 2005, 01:20 PM

isnt there another thread about this somewhere?

sxates
Aug 28, 2005, 11:32 PM

I've had similar problems as well--not sure what the problem is.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure what the deal is either. I have a few CD's (audio) that my Superdrive just absolutely will not mount. The majority of disks are fine, but this unrelated few will not. The CD's play in any other player/cd-rom drive; just not in my Superdrive. I've taken it to the Apple Store and they can't find anything wrong.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2005, 02:35 PM

ideas? thanks.....
are you saying any CD in general? or only recordable CD's? what brand of CD-R are you using and have you tried any other brands?
MBP 1.83

alamosf  (op)
Aug 29, 2005, 04:52 PM

turns out that i am able to burn cd-rs on the new powerbook but it doesn't show up as a blank disk on the desktop or on the itunes menu. i just tried clicking on 'burn disc' and it worked. however, i'm still puzzled as to why it doesn't show up on the desktop or in tunes.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 04:55 PM

turns out that i am able to burn cd-rs on the new powerbook but it doesn't show up as a blank disk on the desktop or on the itunes menu. i just tried clicking on 'burn disc' and it worked. however, i'm still puzzled as to why it doesn't show up on the desktop or in tunes.
Go to system preferences --> CDs and DVDs. Make sure that your preferences for inserting blank CDs and DVDs aren't set to "ignore."

alamosf  (op)
Aug 29, 2005, 05:19 PM

yep... i did set it to 'open itunes' and it does.... but it doesn't show in itunes menu and on the desktop.

hmccorkle
Aug 29, 2005, 06:53 PM

Hey I have the same problem! All data and audio cds mount, but blank cds won't. I think it's because when I first got my PB, I set it to ignore.

Try messing around in Disk Utility... I know it will read whatever is in the drive no matter what, and try to make a disc image. If that doesn't work, get a tril of Roxio Toast 6 or 7 and play around with that. I know there is a disc properties menu somewhere in those apps where you can change the mount options.

Good luck!
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

Forum Links
Forum Rules