Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Mac Pro + old Studio Display?

New Mac Pro + old Studio Display?
SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 02:38 PM

I have a 16" Apple Studio display (CRT) that provides a 1024 x 768 screen at 75 hz. Will it work with a new Mac Pro?? sam

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 02:42 PM

that depends. if you have the older version with a VGA connection, then it will work fine with a DVI to VGA adapter on the Mac Pro. If you have the slightly newer version that featured an ADC connection, you're out of luck. Apple's DVI to ADC adapter is only compatible with flat panel displays, not the CRT-based 17" ADC monitor.

"I start fires!"

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2006, 02:50 PM

Using a MacPro with such an old screen is like putting a V8 in a Toyota Prius. You should invest in a new display, 19" widescreen TFTs start at 200 Euros (Samsung's entry-level 19" widescreen TFT costs around 255 Euros here in Germany), so investing any money in an adapter is a waste.

So do yourself the favor …�
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Using a MacPro with such an old screen is like putting a V8 in a Toyota Prius. You should invest in a new display, 19" widescreen TFTs start at 200 Euros (Samsung's entry-level 19" widescreen TFT costs around 255 Euros here in Germany), so investing any money in an adapter is a waste.

So do yourself the favor …�
Well, I agree with you that using a monitor that old as a main display is a waste, but the DVI-VGA adapter is included with the Mac Pro, so if he gets a new display he can use the old monitor as a second display for palletes and whatnot without having to spend any more. Or use it as a stopgap solution until he can afford a new monitor.

And I'd say the Mac Pro is more like a V12 than a V8

"I start fires!"

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2006, 03:43 PM

Even as a secondary display, it won't be too useful. I had a similar experience with my deceased iBook 800. I used monitor spanning with a Sun 18" TFT and ended up using only the TFT, because my iBooks display was already rather dark.

CRTs -- just like TFTs -- get darker with age, the image is less sharp and they become generally a pain to use. Everybody has to decide for him/herself if he wants to continue using that. But if you have money for a Mac Pro, you should also have the money for a new display as well. Just my opinion and my 2 Eurocents …

SVass  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I am considering waiting until the new displays come out with HDMI (or whatever name they will use) as the connector. I assume that if I sell one hundred shares of Apple it will cover both a computer and a display. I don't want to buy a display and then throw it out. sam

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

Well, there are virtually no graphics cards supporting hdmi available at the moment, so waiting for them is kinda pointless. The only reason you `need' hdmi is if you want to play HD-DVDs or BluRay discs. But then you would have to buy (i) a compatible drive, (ii) a new graphics card and (iii) a new display.

I wouldn't wait for it, to be honest (if that's the only reason holding you back, that is).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 09:50 PM

HDMI is not what you're looking for. You're looking for an HDCP-compliant card (and computer, and monitor, and OS...) to play back the likes of HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and future copy-protected video formats. HDMI (the video part of it, at least) is pin-compatible with DVI. It's the same video signal plus high-quality audio on one more consumer-friendly cable. DVI supports HDCP just fine, so it will probably continue to be used for computer monitors (since it's backwards compatible with VGA, whereas HDMI isn't, that I'm aware of) while HDMI gains ground in the home theater market where VGA was never a contender.

"I start fires!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules