Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can we remove scratches?

Can we remove scratches?
Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2001, 10:39 AM

I know by now that scratches on our beloved iceBook are really a heartbreak. After 3 weeks of intensive portability, it lost its original shiny surface. It's full of small scratches. BTW, I treat my iceBook better than my girl-friend. I clean it, I shine it, I embrace it etc...

I know we can get them removed by applying some products. Do you guys have any suggestions? uh... and how are your iBooks doing with their scratches?

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

GroovyPatateFrite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2001, 11:26 AM

Medium-sized scratches can be removed - I use a product called "CD Doctor" which contains petroleum distillates that fill up the scratches after a few minutes of firm rubbing.

Superficial scratches (i.e. "micro" scratches caused by normal use) can not be removed. You'll just have to stop looking at them. :-) It's annoying, I know.

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2001, 12:10 PM

I put a sheet of clear contact paper (By RubberMaid) on the lid/screen, the palm rests, and sections of the bottom. It is totally clear, and has a rubbery feel to it. The adhesive is removable with alcohol. I have had my iBook2 3 weeks, and the only scatches are on the sides.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by MaxMac:
<STRONG>I put a sheet of clear contact paper (By RubberMaid) on the lid/screen, the palm rests, and sections of the bottom. It is totally clear, and has a rubbery feel to it. The adhesive is removable with alcohol. I have had my iBook2 3 weeks, and the only scatches are on the sides.</STRONG>
But that will make the surface look uneven, doesn't it? I have this bag that a friend of mine used to use for his LifeBook that fits perfectly with iBook but it has somewhat rough inner surface. It's not dramatically rough or anything but it's kind of textile that you wouldn't really worry about when you have some sort of magnesium or titanium notebook. However, my new beloved iceBook got loads of small scratches from this bag. I just regret using a PeeCee material on my iBook. I will never do that again.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2001, 09:15 PM

Try some carnuba wax. There should be plenty of overstock unsold infomercial product available at your local bargain outlet. Make sure you spread it on thick and get lots of it into all the open ports and vents.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2001, 10:00 PM

Yea...wax will "fill" the scratches, but won't remove them. Goto WalMart and pickup some "clear coat compound". It's a very very very mild polish that will remove the scratches, scuffs without harming the surface. Works great. I think the brand is "KIT", but any safe for clear coat polish will work just fine. Or...of all things...Brasso. It works very well to and removes scratches.

MaxMac
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>

But that will make the surface look uneven, doesn't it? I have this bag that a friend of mine used to use for his LifeBook that fits perfectly with iBook but it has somewhat rough inner surface. It's not dramatically rough or anything but it's kind of textile that you wouldn't really worry about when you have some sort of magnesium or titanium notebook. However, my new beloved iceBook got loads of small scratches from this bag. I just regret using a PeeCee material on my iBook. I will never do that again. </STRONG>
No, most people don't even notice it. Provided you don't get any bubbles in it when applying it.
I will post some pics.
I love deadlines. They make a whooshing sound as they pass by.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2001, 11:42 PM

I know by now that scratches on our beloved iceBook are really a heartbreak. After 3 weeks of intensive portability, it lost its original shiny surface. It's full of small scratches. BTW, I treat my iceBook better than my girl-friend. I clean it, I shine it, I embrace it etc...

I know we can get them removed by applying some products. Do you guys have any suggestions? uh... and how are your iBooks doing with their scratches?
My iBook is doing fine, thanks and Liquid Glass is the answer. This stuff works great. Removes fine scratches, and leaves a silky smooth finish. My iBook looks as good as the day I bought it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

vinkint
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2001, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Ryu:
[QB] treat my iceBook better than my girl-friend. I clean it, I shine it, I embrace it etc... /QB]
dude - you dont embrace your girlfriend?

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by vinkint:
<STRONG>

dude - you dont embrace your girlfriend?</STRONG>
I do, but I don't do three of them at the same time.

Seriously(well, not really), I am not sure that my girlfriend is the most beautiful girl in the world but I am sure that my iBook is... that makes a whole lot of difference .

er1c
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2001, 12:19 PM

Hi Friends!

A careful application of water thinned Turtle Wax with a soft cloth can polish sctatches from plastic and polycarbonate surfaces, and it protects too. (Nope, I don't work for them)

I ran a CD shop for 10 years and used it to repair many CDs that would not play for the scratches. (For this to work well, polish the disc radially, from center to edge, not like record grooves!)

Of course, use only modest amounts of wax and be careful polishing it off, the wax dries to a powdery residue. A slightly damp cloth controls the dust. Then a dry soft cloth to finish.

Inexpensive and effective.

er1c

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: er1c ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2001, 05:43 AM

You guys, what is the deal with having some scratches. It's an iBook, it's supposed to be moved, and moving just causes some scratches, you can't do anything about it.

Now you can go ahead and do all this waxy-watery-petroleum-stuff and spend two hours every week of doing it over and over again.

OR

You just look at the scratches and say, well, my iBooks getting older and more mature, leave AND LOVE it as it is.

Just a question: do you / will you treat your girlfriend the same once she will get her first wrinkles ??? Or will you continue loving her as she is ??? Or will you "gte" a new one ???

just my 0.02
-t

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2001, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
<STRONG>You guys, what is the deal with having some scratches. It's an iBook, it's supposed to be moved, and moving just causes some scratches, you can't do anything about it.

Now you can go ahead and do all this waxy-watery-petroleum-stuff and spend two hours every week of doing it over and over again.

OR

You just look at the scratches and say, well, my iBooks getting older and more mature, leave AND LOVE it as it is.

Just a question: do you / will you treat your girlfriend the same once she will get her first wrinkles ??? Or will you continue loving her as she is ??? Or will you "gte" a new one ???

just my 0.02
-t</STRONG>
Love... wrinkes... girlfriend??? hey, dude... you are scaring me here

Seriously, I expected some scatches on my iBook but I didn't expect this much when I first bought it. That's all... few scratches, I can live with them.

<macnavi>
Jul 22, 2001, 05:16 PM

From the moment I noticed that it scratches this easily, I accepted it and it gives me a lot peace of mind. It is a Tool. But it got scratches so easily, by just having it in my back, I've been using the foamish bag it comes in before I put it in my bag. Now it doesn't get scratched in my bag anymore. And it even looks durable, the foam bag.

Circa
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 07:15 PM

Ya the best solution to prevent scratches guys is getting a sleeve. You won't regret it, don't use the one that apple gives you it won't last long and won't even offer that much ample protection.
Circa

<dennisbest>
Jul 22, 2001, 11:19 PM

KIT wax is the answer. I was considering this before checking this board. As a teenager I worked for a Patio Furniture store and we had a ton of white resin furniture. We used KIT before delivering it from the warehouse to someone's home. It was absolutely amazing. A bit odd to use auto wax on a chair...but it worked.

er1c
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2001, 06:31 PM

Oh yeah, kit is like turtle wax, mildly abrasve. It will take out iBook scratches and protect it some too.

I'm telling you all, when you suffer a scratched CD or DVD, Playstation game....etc.... remember this.

You will say thank you when you make your discs functional again.

PimpDaddyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2001, 07:20 PM

The final I-book scratch solution:

I too hated seeing those few small scratches here and there on my new i-book. So i took care of it the smart way. I just used a 60 grit sandpaper to really do a job on the outside of my i-book. Now I dont have those 2 or 3 pesky scratches sitting on a shiny surface to annoy me. And the brushed plastic look gives a cool texture effect. Just make sure to not get too much plastic dust in the keyboard. Do it in a paint room if you have access.
I-Book Therefore I-Am

PimpDaddyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2001, 07:27 PM

...because I know that some wisea$$ will ask the question, I wanted to say that I HAVE on various occasion sandpapered my girlfriends face while simultaneously cleaning, shining and embracing her. She looks much much better after the the good Stanley powersander job I did on her face-she now looks almost as good as my sanded down I-Book!!!!!

SANDPAPER ROCKS!!!!!!!!
I-Book Therefore I-Am

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by PimpDaddyMac:
<STRONG>...because I know that some wisea$$ will ask the question, I wanted to say that I HAVE on various occasion sandpapered my girlfriends face while simultaneously cleaning, shining and embracing her. She looks much much better after the the good Stanley powersander job I did on her face-she now looks almost as good as my sanded down I-Book!!!!!

SANDPAPER ROCKS!!!!!!!!</STRONG>
Can you post some photos?

Forum Links
Forum Rules