Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DirecPC and TiBook/Mac

DirecPC and TiBook/Mac
Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 03:43 PM

I'am not sure which forum this belongs, so I'am sure a good moderator will move it Anyway I just got my TiBook a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. Anyway, I had a PC running on the direcPC internet satillite and it worked OK. Anyway, the PC is now gone so the only thing that remains is the TiBook. Unfortunately there's no out of the box support for macs. Does anyone know of any tips/tricks/hacks etc. to get this thing to work with it? If I hook up a pc and use internet connection sharing will that work? Thanks for ANY help or advice.

Blake

Circa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 03:56 PM

Ya this isn't the best spot to put the thread but don't worry about it. I will still help you ....

Ok I was looking into the same thing for my powerbook, cause I was sick of dial up. I am still using it because that is the price you pay for using a mac over a pc. You see I have and express-v u satelite and it would allow hight speed satelite access which is pretty much the equivelent of cable. So I thought it would be good, but when I looked into it I needed a pc so I could put a card in it. So I thought that would be the end of it, and for the mac it was. But I was talking to some people about it and it turns out if you get a network going in your house with a pc, and make sure you have room for a card. You can get around it with a router, so there is a way but your gonna have to surf threw the pc. I am not sure exactly how it is done, but I know it can be done. I am personally gonna wait until "any" high speed access is available in my area before I do this network thing.

Hope I could be of some help,
Circa
Circa

<Davidarm>
Jul 23, 2001, 02:20 AM

I have the exact setup you're contemplating. DirecPC into a PC with Internet Connection Sharing and a second NIC. The second NIC is connected to my Airport Base Station and my Pismo and my wife's iBook both get Internet access with no issues. I use an old Pentium 100 which wasn't good for much else, but is plenty powerful enough to do the necessary routing through ICS. I've used DirecPC like this fo about a year now, and while it's not as good as cable modem or DSL it's WAY better than a dialup connection...

wiggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2001, 05:54 PM

way off the subject but since there are direc pc users here I'd like to ask-- how is it? I have no broandband option except for direcpc and actually thinking about getting it.. sorry if this questions seems out of place.
"Temptation Island was not a sleazy piece of crap"

<Davidarm>
Jul 26, 2001, 02:31 AM

I've been using DirecPC for about a year now and it works fine. Downloads top out at about 50kB/sec, which is about right since DirecPC rates itself at 400kb/sec. I have the old system which requires a modem and dialup account, which adds to the monthly cost, although the new 2-way dish costs way more up front, has a higher monthly cost, and they don't guarantee any upload speed at all, so I don't see the advantage unless you live somewhere with no phone service either. With either dish the latency is horrible, never below 600ms and frequently 1s! So it's lousy for online gaming, and only adequate for streaming audio and video.

As I said above, it's not nearly as good as cable modem or DSL. Cable modem is coming to my small town and I'll be dumping my dish in a hot minute. But if it's a choice between dialup and DirecPC, DirecPC is *way* better...

Forum Links
Forum Rules