Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 LCD FLICKER -please advise!

Powerbook G4 LCD FLICKER -please advise!
pete
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 08:38 PM

My second Powerbook G4......the story is long so I won't bore you. Today the LCD started flickering in the lower left corner. I found that quite a few people had the same problem. Does anybody know what the problem is? What's been you experience with Apple repair this?

I've been without a powerbook for about two months this year thanks to Apple repairs and continuous mess up. I just want to cry when I think about sendin this one in a again.

Any advice?

Thanks

Pete

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 09:47 PM

I have the same problem. My Ti is 4 months old, the flickering started about two weeks ago. haven't talked to Apple yet. I am interested though to hear
what others have experienced. I have had no other problems with my Ti, only
one single dead pixel. If I send it in and get a new screen, I fear that I'll possibly get a bad screen.

Gk

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2001, 09:59 PM

My Ti 500 had a slight flicker in the lower right hand corner. Had it since the day I got it. And on a side note, my Ibook 500 has a slight ripple in the lower right corner of the screen. It's only noticeable when you move the screen. There is a thread in the iBook forum, as well as Apples forums about this. You here conflicting stories about what people are hearing from Apple. And I don't know if the 2 are related, or it's normal behavior. I'm sure some would say it's not.

Circa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 10:28 PM

Hmm I have been lucky with my screen, the only noticible problem was the bottem right side is a little brighter than the rest of the screen. To be honust though the new powerbook/ibooks screens seem to be getting better and I don't think you hear about the dead pixels and discolored pixels as much. But for the people that have them I feel your pain.
Circa

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2001, 10:34 PM

Could it possibly be a loose video cable? But you would think that would affect the entire screen.

I'm all paranoid that this is going to happen to mine. I would call Apple. Good luck!

Circa
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 10:58 PM

Heheh your just getting paranoid man don't worrry about it. Just keeping caring for your precious Ti.
Circa

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 11:43 PM

Follow up: it comes and goes... Damn! That means if I send it in to Apple there's a 99.9 percent chance it won't be flickering when the tech guy looks at it. I'll get it back and then there's also a 99.9% chance it will flicker within the first five minutes of operation. Such is life : ( Didn't apple change the rules again so that we can take it in to an authorised repari center for repair? Or does it still exclude displays?

So, wait and see is perhaps the best solution. If it starts flickering all the time, I'll send it in otherwise better to wait.

Don't worry - there's no reason to think your powerbook will start flickering.. just enjoy it!

Pete

Valentine
Jul 22, 2001, 05:23 PM

My first TiBook had a flicker in the lower right hand corner that only happened when it was moved. I took it back to the reseller and exchanged it. The second one has not had a flicker. The reseller (CompUSA) said the screen was not seated correctly, but who knows for sure. I just hope it doesn't happen with time.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by pete:
<STRONG>Follow up: it comes and goes... Damn! That means if I send it in to Apple there's a 99.9 percent chance it won't be flickering when the tech guy looks at it. I'll get it back and then there's also a 99.9% chance it will flicker within the first five minutes of operation. Such is life : ( Didn't apple change the rules again so that we can take it in to an authorised repari center for repair? Or does it still exclude displays?

So, wait and see is perhaps the best solution. If it starts flickering all the time, I'll send it in otherwise better to wait.

Don't worry - there's no reason to think your powerbook will start flickering.. just enjoy it!

Pete</STRONG>
Mine had the same problem, I usually found that diming the screen, then bringing it up again solved it. I work for an Apple Authorized service provider, and I know that you can bring it in to them and have them take a look at it before they send it to Apple. But, even if they say it's broken, Apple might bounce the repair still... it's happened. Good luck man.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 05:17 AM

I don't have any problems with my Tibook except that the HD does a bad high pitched noise...The screen is perfect and has no flaws.

I've seen a guy having the same problem as you in an Apple Repair Center...So I guess you should go and ask for a repair.

mozart11
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2001, 07:24 AM

send it in for repair. My brothers screen did it and then went dead. Apple replaced the screen. My ti is in now because the bottom battery compartment became so loose with in the bottom case that the whold bottom would stay tight. And the screen latch wouldn't keep the ti closed. I would open my laptop bag at work and the computer would be on or battery dead because of this.
I think the ti has many design flaws. I wouldn't be surprised that titanium will not be in the future and back to the plastic. Just for airport to work better I would think.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 01:52 PM

I'm trying to get in touch with the Apple Executive relations guy who handled my last replacement. I'm hoping he can help somehow. The thought of another marathon Apple Repair experience scares me. I have lost all faith in Apple as far as repairs are concerned and I can't afford to be without my powerbook for more than a few days. I know many people also have good experiences so I guess I must have bad luck. In fact I know I do. Anyway, the flickering continues, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've also noticed that when I restart the computer, the monitor is extremely dim on startup until I get the desktop picture when it brightens up. In MacOs X also restarts to a brightness setting of about half of what's possible - even if I set it to the brightest before I restart it....

That's it for now. If it weren't for the fact that I like the MacOS, I'd switch over to the dark side today.....I feel this way every time I'm faced with having to deal with Apple repair people. Don't mind me , it'll pass...

Pete

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 05:01 PM

The Apple Executive relations representative called back within two hours, was extremely friendly and pro-active as always. Promised he would oversee the repair and call back in a few days to keep me up-to-date . Very efficient. Just imagine if all apple reps were like that....what a dream. It seems these guys are really well-trained and professional compared to the lower levels.

Anyway, tomorrow it goes in for the flicker - hopefully it will be back soon....

addicted to my powerbook,

Pete

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2001, 09:16 PM

Update: the rep called yesterday an hour after I finished setting up the dispatch with the tech support just to make sure everything 'went smoothly'....wow. Then he called again today to make sure the box had arrived so I could send the pb in and get it repaired quickly. He said he'd be monitoring the repair starting tomorrow. Even though this is Apple's fault in the first place, I feel pampered and spoiled with this kind of service. All I wish for is for all customer relations with Apple to be like this. the company would benefit tremendously and get a fantastic reputation for first rate customer service.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. This all feels good.

Pete : )

Forum Links
Forum Rules