Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cd

Cd
NicB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2000, 03:17 AM

Topic should be "CD OS X won't boot"...

Continuing to investigate the problem many people have whereby a G4 AGP totally fails to get anywhere when booting from the Mac OS X CD. In my case at least, Apple seem to think it may be hardware.

I am suspicious of the USB sub-system and would like help please with the following brief test:

Start up with either minimal extensions or extensions off, with the standard Apple USB keyboard and puck mouse.
On reaching the desktop, run Apple System Profiler and choose "Show USB alerts and events..." from the "Commands" menu.
In the window which opens, click the "Show all USB events" button.

From the list which appears, I always have the following or similar:

<SNIP>

2.971: [ 0]: Expert - Registered with Native Power Manager 0
9.982: [-1744499709]: Fatal Error: USBHIDKeyboardModule: Error during kReadInterruptPipe, -6982, 7
9.984: [-1744499452]: Fatal Error: USBHIDMouseModule: Error during ReadInterruptPipe, -6982, 6
9.985: [-1744499709]: Fatal Error: USBCompositeDriver - USBDisposeInterfaceRef - immediate error, -6999, -6978
9.985: [-1744499452]: Fatal Error: USBCompositeDriver - USBDisposeInterfaceRef - immediate error, -6999, -6978
9.986: [ 75576705]: Expert - Finalize returned: 0

</SNIP>

Is this the same for everyone? Please post here with brief answers - this may help determine if this is another red herring.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by NicB (edited 10-26-2000).]

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2000, 09:09 PM

This will sound strange, but try booting with the mouse & keyboard unplugged, and then plug them back in if you can get into the installer.

Hey, couldn't hurt

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Cipher13
Oct 27, 2000, 02:09 AM

Reinstall USB drivers from OS9 disk.
Then try.
If no go, then update them, and try again.
Do you have a Pro keyboard on the G4?
And the drivers for it?
Oh yeah, try this. Rather than holding C, just install the System Disk control panel, while booted into OS9, and use it to select the OSX CD as startup disk.

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 10-27-2000).]

NicB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2000, 10:42 AM

Thanks for responses; I've tried all combinations of mouse and kbd in either or both USB sockets, so no luck there. (Original Apple USB keyboard and puck mouse supplied with G4/400 AGP.)

Haven't actually tried re-installing USB stuff, but I figured that I may have a hardware problem since the G4 won't boot from the CD with or without mouse and kbd. Also, I get the same (no) response if I try to use the CD with the HD unplugged.

Setting CD startup using either System Disk or the installer gives the same lack of success.

I'm still intrigued to find if anyone else has the same errors listed above, especially if you can't startup from the OS X CD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules