Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying advice? (iBook or Powerbook)

Buying advice? (iBook or Powerbook)
Macgbg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 07:54 AM

I�m trying to choose between buying a new iBook 1,2 GHz BTO with a superdrive and 764 Mb RAM or a new 15' Powerbook (also with a SD and some added RAM). I want to use it for editing DV-films etc but never on a professional basis, only for fun. What do you think I need? Which option would get me the most for my money?

Thankful for any opinions
( Last edited by Macgbg; May 4, 2004 at 08:00 AM. )

mishap
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 08:52 AM

if you are more comfortable with something like iMovie--get an iBook

If you think you want to play with Final Cut Pro HD or even Final Cut Express--get a Powerbook.

The extra resolution will really help on the powerbook for any kind of video editing (professional or not)

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 08:59 AM

Not many people talk about his but being in IT I can assure you....

If you are worried at ALL about how your computer LOOKS... If you are a stickler for scratches.... get the iBook.

My little white iBook is almost 2 years old and honestly, I toss it around like a toy and it's works PERFECTLY... and the case (while there are fine scuff marks) looks great because it's not noticable.

The PowerBooks... however... are another story. Whether you're talking about the old Ti book or the new models, they scratch VERY EASILY... seems like just taking them in and out of a bag does it! Unless you need DVI video output, or a wide screen, you'll probably be very happy with an iBook

gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 10:55 AM

get a better ibook dude, power lifes a big advantage, you can spend money you save on more ram if ya want... ibooks are for on the road!!!
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 12:40 PM

Hands down i would say get the powerbook if money is not an issue and i would suggest a 12inch much more portable... but grpahics are much nicer on the 15inch... i have a ibook and my sister has the new powerbook the powerbook is hands down the btetter choice

gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 01:33 PM

cough cough money... ibook is a wiser choice if you are borderline between ibook and powerbook... but it all depends on how much MORE you want to invest, powerbooks offer so much more...
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by gui1ty:
... ibook is a wiser choice if you are borderline between ibook and powerbook...
That is very much a matter of opinion.

The PowerBooks are in a differenct class than the iBooks, IMO.

And 32MBs of RAM for video in the iBooks should be enough in and of itself to make people look towards the PowerBooks.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 02:28 PM

If I were you I'd go with the 15" PB, better overall machine and thats fact. The 15" is considered almost a desktop replacement now and if you dont have a desktop then go for it and splurge. I really like the iBook's but there's no contest in which is the better machine.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 04:05 PM

I love my iBook but if I had the money the PowerBook would be mine.

rjt1000
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 10:29 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to performance tests of the new 1.2 ghz ibook 14 inch vs the 1.33 ghz Powerbook 15 inch ?

I am also trying to decide between the two, and would like to see some test results before I take the plunge.

What kind of performance hit are we talking about for the ibook vs the Powerbook: 10% ? 20% ? 50% ?

I agree that one of the main strengths of the iBook is durability. I worry that the Aluminum Powebook is gonna take a beating with daily, heavy duty, road-warrior type useage.

-Rich

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 10:45 PM

Well it wont take that bad of a beating if you take care of your computer... as long as you arent hitting it with a sledge hammer it should hold up without a doubt

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by rjt1000:
Hi,

Does anyone have a link to performance tests of the new 1.2 ghz ibook 14 inch vs the 1.33 ghz Powerbook 15 inch ?

I am also trying to decide between the two, and would like to see some test results before I take the plunge.

What kind of performance hit are we talking about for the ibook vs the Powerbook: 10% ? 20% ? 50% ?

I agree that one of the main strengths of the iBook is durability. I worry that the Aluminum Powebook is gonna take a beating with daily, heavy duty, road-warrior type useage.

-Rich
Check out the xbench site:

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

finboy
May 5, 2004, 12:17 AM

I think the Logic Board Repair problem with the G3s would be enough to keep me away from the G4 iBooks.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by finboy:
I think the Logic Board Repair problem with the G3s would be enough to keep me away from the G4 iBooks.
Could you explain your reasoning?
( Last edited by discotronic; May 5, 2004 at 03:07 PM. )

DoraExplorer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
If I were you I'd go with the 15" PB, better overall machine and thats fact . . . I really like the iBooks but there's no contest in which is the better machine.
I'm no expert and what you say may be true, but could someone explain why? Several people have made similar statements without any explanation. Why would the PB be SO much better? When I look at the specs, I don't see any real reason for that--except the video memory. Is that really the only difference?

And I don't think the Xbench site link included a G4 iBook, did it?

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 02:33 PM

Powerbook vs iBook
ATI 9700 vs ATI 9200
128vram vs 32vram
2gb ram vs 1.25gb ram
1.33GHz proc vs 1.2GHz proc
5400HD vs 4200HD
80gb HD vs 60gb HD
167mhz bus vs 133 mhz bus
dvi out vs n/a
audio in vs n/a
pci slot vs n/a
closed lid mode operation vs n/a
monitor spanning without a hack vs available with a hack
brighter screen vs not so bright screen
backlit keyboard vs n/a
higher resolution
better keyboard
better speakers
widescreen

I dont see any one person buying an iBook over a Powerbook if they happened to cost the same price, and I'm willing to bet that almost all 14" iBook users would trade for a 15" Alu PB in a heartbeat if someone were to offer it straight up. Seeing that they arent the same price, you either choose one or the other depending on your use of the machine and price range. The Powerbook is a better computer and that is fact, if they weren't what would be the point in buying them at almost twice the cost. The iBooks by the way scratch way easier then the Powerbook's although the Powerbooks can ding when struck hard enough where as the iBooks are made of plastic and don't ding but can crack. The xbench site has not only the G4 iBook's but it has the updated iBooks as well, just give it a little more looksee. Hope this helped a little.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 03:43 PM

iRez has a good point. If you don't have enough finances, stick with the ibook, otherwise the pbook is a charm.

finboy
May 5, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Could you explain your reasoning?
I think there are obviously some unresolved design flaws in the older ibooks, and I can't help but wonder whether the same inept designers made similar mistakes with the new design. The fact that my 900Mhz iBook just made the extension serial number list, after several months, taints my opinion of the ibooks right now.

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
The fact that my 900Mhz iBook just made the extension serial number list, after several months, taints my opinion of the ibooks right now.
I'm definately with you on that point. I bought my 900 new in Feb. I thought I was getting a good deal. As soon as Apple sells out of the new G3's they put them on the list. It does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

finboy
May 5, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I'm definately with you on that point. I bought my 900 new in Feb. I thought I was getting a good deal. As soon as Apple sells out of the new G3's they put them on the list. It does leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I just gotta wonder about the brain trust that put together the late G3s -- are they the same one's who designed the G4? If so, avoid at all costs.

I got a good price on mine, and it boots into OS 9 (thank heaven), but it's (evidently) a ticking time bomb. My bet is that the G4 ibook is next.

Macgbg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 05:05 AM

Thanks everyone for your good advice and opinions!
I've definitively decided to go for the 15' Powerbook. One more thing; do you think I should pay for Applecare? If I'm not mistaken, I get a 2 year warranty anyway due to new EU regulations for consumers so it might not be worth it.

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by Macgbg:
Thanks everyone for your good advice and opinions!
I've definitively decided to go for the 15' Powerbook. One more thing; do you think I should pay for Applecare? If I'm not mistaken, I get a 2 year warranty anyway due to new EU regulations for consumers so it might not be worth it.
Only if you are going to make use of phone support. You probably wants insurance for it when you are on the road anyway, so you might get it covered there when the two years has past. Set up a deal with your insurance company.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules