Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What's with Apple mice . . . mouses?

What's with Apple mice . . . mouses?
DoraExplorer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 11:24 AM

Can someone please explain to me why Apple refuses to make a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel?

I mean, they make these beautiful computers and then you have to buy some nasty Microsoft dorky-geekarama-looking mouse to go with it. The Apple mice are very nice looking, but hello?! One-button is like o-ver, oK? Check out eBay! There are hundreds of useless Apple pro mice for sale. Nobody wants them.

I've got work to do, and just a pretty face isn't going to do it. Why doesn't Apple put some of their cutting-edge design into making an attractive, usable mouse? It couldn't be that hard to do.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:04 PM

Many people have posted about this before in this forum, search and see what they have to say. Apple has built in support for two-button mice and this is good but if Apple were to offer a two-button mouse things would not be as great as you say. As it stands all software must be written to accept only single button commands and this makes apps better and less convoluted. I know you have work to do, so do we all, but either go buy a third party mouse, or don't complain because this isn't going to change. Personally I prefer doing my work with the one button mouse and only use my wireless logitech when web browsing, word processing etc.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 12:06 PM

I suggest that you try the Logitech MX900: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...oth+mouse+best

The silver & gray MX900 matches my PowerBook better than the white Apple mouse does.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
Personally I prefer doing my work with the one button mouse and only use my wireless logitech when web browsing, word processing etc.
so you keep 2 mice on your desk? that seems a bit silly. why not just use the left button on the logitech, and alwasys have the option of right clicking when needed.

even using the finder is twice as nice with right-click contextual menus.

i agree with what you are saying though, building applications for one button functionality makes them highly usable in the redundancy sense.

regarding the MX900, i just got mine yesterday and i'm not so sure i like it yet. it doesn't track as well as my last mouse, which was corded, and so far i am unable to map the buttons the way i want them. ... see other post

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
so you keep 2 mice on your desk? that seems a bit silly. why not just use the left button on the logitech, and alwasys have the option of right clicking when needed.

even using the finder is twice as nice with right-click contextual menus.

i agree with what you are saying though, building applications for one button functionality makes them highly usable in the redundancy sense.

regarding the MX900, i just got mine yesterday and i'm not so sure i like it yet. it doesn't track as well as my last mouse, which was corded, and so far i am unable to map the buttons the way i want them. ... see other post
The MX700 tracks so much better than the MX900. I've tried them both, and for me the 900 jumped all over the place. Took it back and got a second MX700 (this is for a second computer) and it's just grand.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 01:22 PM

we don't have time to stop for gas

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 01:59 PM

moral of the story- the search field is your friend, especially if you have any doubts about the originality of your thread.

there is some two button mouse with a wheel that is designed after the apple pro mouse... i dont know remember what it is called, but im sure if you do a search and read the threads you come across, youll find it.

thank you.
Dan.

DoraExplorer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
moral of the story- the search field is your friend, especially if you have any doubts about the originality of your thread.

there is some two button mouse with a wheel that is designed after the apple pro mouse... i dont know remember what it is called, but im sure if you do a search and read the threads you come across, youll find it.

thank you.
Dan.
All I came across were a bunch of useless, pointless postings like yours. Oh, well.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by DoraExplorer:
All I came across were a bunch of useless, pointless postings like yours. Oh, well.

*sigh* do i have to do everything here?

click image for link to product website

i got that from this thread (which i might add was only 8 days ago, and on the second page in.)

i dont know if this is what youre looking for, but please look around before you post.

Dimitri
May 6, 2004, 01:33 PM

I tried one of those but it was a piece of crap. Squeaked all the time and the top didn't even seem like it was attached all the way. Perhaps it was just that mouse, not the design.

Forum Links
Forum Rules