Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stop claiming that OSX 10.1 will be free!

Stop claiming that OSX 10.1 will be free!
Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 12:20 AM

In post after post, I see members on this forum note that "OS X 10.1 will be a free download," "OS X 10.1 will not cost anything," or "10.1 is free."

As far as I am concerned, $19 does not represent a reasonable production cost for the CD (~$0.05) with shipping ($4.00 or so). Rather, the $19 charge is clearly intended to subsidize the development of OS X. I have no trouble paying $19 (or even $99) for 10.1, given the dramatic improvements that it offers, but please people, let's be real.

More from Macintouch:
"In a post-keynote phone interview, Phil Schiller told me that 10.1 will not be available as a download. I specifically asked him about the conflicting info -- Jobs saying it would be free but Apple's press release saying it would be $19 -- and his reply was that the update is free, but the $19 covers Apple's costs.
"His words: 'We literally upgraded every component of the Mac OS, and it is hundreds of megabytes and requires a CD for installation.' The same will apply to iDVD 2, he said."

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2001, 12:43 AM

I can't answer for everyone who posted in those threads, but I *believe* that they started just after Steve Jobs demoed 10.1. There was an open question as to whether it would be a free download, a la 10.0.4, or not.

We *seem* to have the answer: no. Anyone who claims 10.1 to be free hereafter is clearly a buffoon.

But don't count out a change of heart by Apple. Nothing is set until release day.

I, for the record, think $20 is cheap for the reputed upgraded code. And I'm pretty pleased with the cost of 10.0 as well. Go Apple! :-)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

<tom peterson>
Jul 26, 2001, 01:33 AM

First of all, the idea that you can manufacture CDs for $0.05 is wrong. Just because it includes .05 worth of plastic, doesn't mean that's what the replication plant charges Apple to press the discs.

Second, I've heard that the 10.1 upgrade will be 3 or 4 CDs, including additional stuff such as 9.2, developer tools, etc.

Third, of course there will be packaging and printed materials included.

Fourth, you don't know how Apple plans to ship the discs -- maybe they're going to ship them all 2nd day air or something.

True, $20 is not "free," but it's basically just a charge for media, packaging, shipping and handling. The argument that Apple is treating this $20 (including shipping) multi-disc software upgrade as some kind of profit center, is unfair.

<jimmac>
Jul 26, 2001, 02:16 AM

Hey ! Here's a novel bent on this whole soap opera. How about who cares? What I mean by that is I paid my $129.00 the same as the rest of you. I don't mind paying $20.00 if that's what it takes to get an updated ( for that read more complete ) version. I expect I will have to pay Apple sometime in the future for another upgrade down the line ( and a lot more than 20 bucks ). I think you guys need to find something else to talk ( for that read quible ) about. You know, something important because I'm not rich but, I think this is just silly.

BTP
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 02:18 AM

There are a few hundred posts in another thread on this topic. This thread is redundant.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2001, 11:23 AM

When OS X retail version was first released, MacZone had a special offer on it of $97. I took advantage of the offer, so even if I have to shell out $20 for 10.1, I figure I'm ahead on the deal.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

jcarr
Senior User
Jul 26, 2001, 12:32 PM

This is a perfect example of modern computer industry semantics. The Mac OS X 10.1 update will indded be 'Free.' Apple has done this sort of thing in the past.

If the update were not free, you would be in violation of the license agreement if you installed it usiing s freind's CD(s). I feel this will not be the case with Mac OS X 10.1. I may purhcase the upgrade for the $20 or so, but if we get several coppies at work, I will just use one of those to upgrade my home machine.

In real world terms it will cost the majority of Mac users something to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.1, but say what you will, the upgrade will be free. Mac OS X 10.5 on the other hand...
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

rothomp3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by jcarr:
<STRONG>This is a perfect example of modern computer industry semantics. The Mac OS X 10.1 update will indded be 'Free.' Apple has done this sort of thing in the past.

If the update were not free, you would be in violation of the license agreement if you installed it usiing s freind's CD(s). I feel this will not be the case with Mac OS X 10.1. I may purhcase the upgrade for the $20 or so, but if we get several coppies at work, I will just use one of those to upgrade my home machine.

In real world terms it will cost the majority of Mac users something to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.1, but say what you will, the upgrade will be free. Mac OS X 10.5 on the other hand...</STRONG>

In addition to this, as someone else said, this upgrade will include a minimum of two CD's (10.1 and 9.2), packaging materials, jewel cases, and full color installation manuals. Paper and printing is expensive. Plus, that raises the weight significantly. So, all told I can almost guarantee that $19.95 is equal to or less than Apple's cost on this. Upgrades like this are not profit centers. More often, they're sources of loss!

later,
rothomp3

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 26, 2001, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by &lt;tom peterson&gt;:
<STRONG>First of all, the idea that you can manufacture CDs for $0.05 is wrong. Just because it includes .05 worth of plastic, doesn't mean that's what the replication plant charges Apple to press the discs.

Second, I've heard that the 10.1 upgrade will be 3 or 4 CDs, including additional stuff such as 9.2, developer tools, etc.

Third, of course there will be packaging and printed materials included.

Fourth, you don't know how Apple plans to ship the discs -- maybe they're going to ship them all 2nd day air or something.

True, $20 is not "free," but it's basically just a charge for media, packaging, shipping and handling. The argument that Apple is treating this $20 (including shipping) multi-disc software upgrade as some kind of profit center, is unfair.</STRONG>
In addition to this, as someone else said, this upgrade will include a minimum of two CD's (10.1 and 9.2), packaging materials, jewel cases, and full color installation manuals. Paper and printing is expensive. Plus, that raises the weight significantly. So, all told I can almost guarantee that $19.95 is equal to or less than Apple's cost on this. Upgrades like this are not profit centers. More often, they're sources of loss!
my god. this apple kiss ass bull**** is getting so annoying. why the hell are you trying to justify a 20 dollar shipping and handling charge?

face it, Apple wants to make some money out of this. I have no problem paying the 20 bucks but don't try to justify the price by saying paper is expensive and that 3-4 CDs somehow makes the cost of shipping and handling rise by 14 bucks

ink
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by applenut1:
<STRONG>
my god. this apple kiss ass bull**** is getting so annoying. why the hell are you trying to justify a 20 dollar shipping and handling charge?
</STRONG>
They should make it a free download so that people like you can spend hours downloading and burning it to "save" $20. Honestly. If anyone at Apple is reading: Just go ahead and make it a 1gb download (9.2 + OSX + iMovie2 + iTunes + optional dev tools) so that we don't have to hear this complaint over and over again; they can get it for "free" while others can fork over the $20.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2001, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by ink:
<STRONG>

They should make it a free download so that people like you can spend hours downloading and burning it to "save" $20. Honestly. If anyone at Apple is reading: Just go ahead and make it a 1gb download (9.2 + OSX + iMovie2 + iTunes + optional dev tools) so that we don't have to hear this complaint over and over again; they can get it for "free" while others can fork over the $20. </STRONG>

And most of those who are complaining probably paid the $79 that upgrading from 8.6 to 9 cost, and boy, did that bring a lot of new features
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ratfink
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by rothomp3:
<STRONG>

later,
rothomp3</STRONG>
Interesting. I curious from what source we know that it will include multiple cd's, elaboate packaging, jewel casing (which apple never uses), manuals, etc...? I'm not saying it wont, but I haven't seen the site saying it will. On top of that, past Apple-Up-To-Date and other apple upgrade discs I recieved were only a thing cardboard CD mailer, and a CD. Nothing else.

Geof
"I can see the future, and it's a place about seventy miles east of here."

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by jcarr:
<STRONG>If the update were not free, you would be in violation of the license agreement if you installed it usiing s freind's CD(s). I feel this will not be the case with Mac OS X 10.1. I may purhcase the upgrade for the $20 or so, but if we get several coppies at work, I will just use one of those to upgrade my home machine.</STRONG>
This is an important point. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to get the CDs truly for free, because we can copy them from others.

Apple may be charging too much to ship the upgrade CDs, but we're allowed to legally get copies of the CDs without paying for them. It's more of a pain than downloading, but if the download really is that big, you're not losing out on much.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2001, 04:30 PM

Who do you think is right? Steve or Phil? I'd put my money on Steve. It'll probably be a free download but large enough that most sane people would buy the CD instead of downloading the update.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Ken_F2:
<STRONG> concerned, $19 does not represent a reasonable production cost for the CD (~$0.05) with shipping ($4.00 or so). Rather, the $19 charge is clearly intended to subsidize the development of OS X. I have no trouble paying $19 (or even $99) for 10.1, given the dramatic improvements that it offers, but please people, let's be real.

</STRONG>
I don't know about the US but in Europe, CDs are sent from Cork in Ireland by TNT Express (it's like Fed EX or UPS)...It's VERY expensive even only for a 4 Cds box.

Apple doesn't make money on it and it costs certainly more to handle the orders and sent them via express.

If you don't wanna pay $20 (and have a beautiful CD's where you can boot on it etc. without burning it), I'm sure you will find the update on Hotline servers. If you own 10.0, you are allowed to download it or copy it from another CD...But honestly, $ 20 is not that expensive when you see how much you paid for the hardware

rothomp3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ratfink:
<STRONG>

Interesting. I curious from what source we know that it will include multiple cd's, elaboate packaging, jewel casing (which apple never uses), manuals, etc...? I'm not saying it wont, but I haven't seen the site saying it will. On top of that, past Apple-Up-To-Date and other apple upgrade discs I recieved were only a thing cardboard CD mailer, and a CD. Nothing else.

Geof</STRONG>
I stand corrected on jewel cases. Looking at my Apple CDs, I meant "fancy, colorful cardboard CD holders." As for the source of the "multiple CDs" comment: Mac OS X 10.1 requires Mac OS 9.2 for Classic. Therefore, there will be at least two CDs. It's also reasonable to assume a new developer tools CD will be included, bringing the total to three. But at least two CDs is definite! I had also read that other OS upgrades had included at least a full color pamphlet describing the installation procedures. I assume 10.1 will include at least that. Full color printing is very expensive. I am not apologizing for Apple, I'm just trying to point out a reality of the printing industry. The $20 is not a profit center for Apple! Sorry you guys always seem to believe the worst of Apple and the best of everyone else... why don't you try believing the average of Apple (and the printing industry!)

later,
rothomp3

PS: I'm a programmer, but I have friends in publishing...

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 08:31 PM

i'm with applenut on this one.

first they made us pay for the beta, which was unheard of but we coughed up coz we thought it would contribute to the release being great.

then we paid for the release which turned out to be another beta version whose 'usability' was far removed from what we'd been promised constantly in the build up.

now they're going to make us pay for an upgrade which gives us what we thought we were buying in the first place.

and each time, whenever anyone dares to suggest that apple are ever so slightly taking the piss, the fantics line up to kiss apple's fat corporate arses... "$20 isn't enough. i'd willingly sell my entire family into slavery for a stable multitasking OS..."

if apple had an ounce of decency they'd post the upgrade out free to everyone who bought X. preferably with an apology saying "sorry. that last one was really a beta. here's the real version"

BTW steve definately said it would be free. i remember watching his address when we were all wondering whether X would be released at MWNY.

[paraphrasing] he went "i'm pleased to announce 10,1..." [whoops and hollers from crowd] "it'll be a free upgrade..." [more whoops and hollers] "it'll do... [starts demo-ing features] i thought at the time "you snaeaky bastard! you haven't mentioned availability. it mustn't be ready yet!"

and sure enough... "...and it'll be available from september!" [disappointed silence]

so it seemed to me at the time that the promise it would be free was thrown in deliberately at the beginning to compensate for the fact that it wasn't ready yet.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: madra [again!] ]
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2001, 09:52 PM

The shouldn't just post it for free download, they should absolutely send every registered user the CD update for free. Apple charged $130 for the OS, I want what was paid for.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2001, 10:16 PM

I've confirmed with Apple executives (no, not Steve or Phil) that the 10.1 update will not be free because not only is it a 650 MB update, but it also requires OS 9.2, and the OS X 10.1 installer/updater would have to be burned to a bootable CD. It's reasonable to expect that the package will ship with Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS 9.2 for Classic, and the Mac OS X 10.1 Developer Tools CD, just like the GM did. Phil said it would be $20, and so did Steve. Watch the keynote again, he never said it would be free. It's "free" in the sense that they're not really profiting on it ... it's the costs needed to cover all the production and shipping.

When you require all this stuff to be downloaded as well as burned onto bootable CDs, it starts getting a bit much. Clearly, some people have no problem with it, but it's really not that illogical.

Whether or not you agree with me, it doesn't matter, because this is the *official* answer on this front. This issue is really not under debate.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

jagga
Senior User
Jul 26, 2001, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Milio:
<STRONG>The shouldn't just post it for free download, they should absolutely send every registered user the CD update for free. Apple charged $130 for the OS, I want what was paid for.</STRONG>
I couldn't have said it better!!!

<jimmac>
Jul 26, 2001, 10:26 PM

I have watched the Keynote 3 times just for this reason and ( not that it matters ) what Steve Jobs said was " this will be a FREE upgrade for existing Mac OS X users ". Whatever that means. Like I've said before 20 bucks ain't that bad in the scheme of things. I'd be willing to bet it's nothing compared to what people will be paying for NET.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2001, 11:06 PM

At one of the breakout sessions at MWNY Phil Schiller told the press that the "free" upgrade will cost $19.95 "to cover expenses", and would consist of 3 or 4 CDs and a booklet. The new Quicksilver G4s have a 4 CD set of restore CDs, and it takes all 4 to do a restore (one primarily with OS X 10.0.4, one primarily Mac OS 9.2, one with Developer Tools for OS X and one with all the bundled OS X applications. I expect the 10.1 upgrade to look similar (with bootable OS X and OS 9.2 CDs, a Developer Tools CD and a OS X killer-apps CD (Disc Burner, iDVD, the new MSIE, iTunes, etc. and very likely some "surprise" apps).

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 11:34 PM

Actually, the .NET model is that you'll pay MSFT some amount of money per month for premium services. Like $10 or $20. Let's say its $15.

After you get MacOS 10.1, you will have spent $130+$20=$150 dollars. Has MacOS X been around for 10 months this September? When do you think the next "Free" update will be?

So as of October, you will have paid a lot more than for what .NET will eventually offer.

Originally posted by &lt;jimmac&gt;:
<STRONG>I have watched the Keynote 3 times just for this reason and ( not that it matters ) what Steve Jobs said was " this will be a FREE upgrade for existing Mac OS X users ". Whatever that means. Like I've said before 20 bucks ain't that bad in the scheme of things. I'd be willing to bet it's nothing compared to what people will be paying for NET.</STRONG>

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 11:39 PM

I think the point is that Apple really is taking advantage of the goodwill of its customers.

Imagine this scenario: Microsoft releases Windows XP and then 4 months later annouces "For the full eXPerience, you'll have to chalk up another $20 please".

Imagine the outcry! The ribbing that us Mac users would do to our windoze friends.

Now granted Apple doesn't nearly have the same deep pockets at MSFT, but just think about what being a Mac user means these days....

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>I've confirmed with Apple executives (no, not Steve or Phil) that the 10.1 update will not be free because not only is it a 650 MB update, but it also requires OS 9.2, and the OS X 10.1 installer/updater would have to be burned to a bootable CD. It's reasonable to expect that the package will ship with Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS 9.2 for Classic, and the Mac OS X 10.1 Developer Tools CD, just like the GM did. Phil said it would be $20, and so did Steve. Watch the keynote again, he never said it would be free. It's "free" in the sense that they're not really profiting on it ... it's the costs needed to cover all the production and shipping.

When you require all this stuff to be downloaded as well as burned onto bootable CDs, it starts getting a bit much. Clearly, some people have no problem with it, but it's really not that illogical.

Whether or not you agree with me, it doesn't matter, because this is the *official* answer on this front. This issue is really not under debate.</STRONG>

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 27, 2001, 12:20 AM

What one should realize is that no one ever disputed the fact that it SHOULD be downloaded. Of course! Why not? In a perfect world, even the fact that it is now apparent that it needs a bootable CD to update, plus 9.2, etc., Apple could put all required disk images up for download, why not? &lt;SARCASM&gt;Heck, throw in free tech support for improperly burned CDs.&lt;/SARCASM&gt; I myself would adore it if more mac users could benifit from a free update to Mac OS X and have nothing against it, nor does anyone else in their right mind.

Originally posted by madra [again!]:
<STRONG>first they made us pay for the beta... then we paid for the release... now they're going to make us pay for an upgrade which gives us what we thought we were buying in the first place.</STRONG>
But I honestly have no sympathy for those who bitch and moan about a $20 upgrade.

Excuse me? Apple MADE you shell out your cash three times for what Mac OS X was supposed to be? Aww, poor baby, you undoubtedly were the victim of a mass mind-control experiment!

Fortunately, I myself was blessed with more self control and restraint and decided to sit back and wait till OSX was up to my expectations. I continue read through forums to see user reaction, and will continue to do so after 10.1 is released. Only until I am satisfied with the reaction that the majority of users express with it, will I even CONSIDER plunking down the $200(canadian) to install it on my computer.

Originally posted by madra [again!]:
<STRONG>and each time, whenever anyone dares to suggest that apple are ever so slightly taking the piss, the fantics line up to kiss apple's fat corporate arses... "$20 isn't enough. i'd willingly sell my entire family into slavery for a stable multitasking OS..."</STRONG>
Now, what is at the heart of the dispute however, is the claim that Apple is MAKING you pay too much. I'm sorry, but YOU hold the bills in your hands, and if you are not mature enough to make responsible purchase decisions (like say perhaps, have you done research and read user reviews and testimonials before-hand to make sure it's what you need?) then that's YOUR problem, not Apple's.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Visnaut ]

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by &lt;jimmac&gt;:
<STRONG>I have watched the Keynote 3 times just for this reason and ( not that it matters ) what Steve Jobs said was " this will be a FREE upgrade for existing Mac OS X users "</STRONG>
Perhaps you should watch it the fourth time because on the slide that showed Free it also said: *$19.95 for S&H
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Lolo from Paris
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by dtc:
<STRONG>I think the point is that Apple really is taking advantage of the goodwill of its customers.

Imagine this scenario: Microsoft releases Windows XP and then 4 months later annouces "For the full eXPerience, you'll have to chalk up another $20 please".

Imagine the outcry! The ribbing that us Mac users would do to our windoze friends.

Now granted Apple doesn't nearly have the same deep pockets at MSFT, but just think about what being a Mac user means these days....

</STRONG>
Do you know how much you pay for Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows ME ???

Sorry to say that but Windows 98 Second Edition had less new features than 10.1 and it wasn't avaible as a free update, you had to buy it actually ...

$ 20 for an update at home with 4 CD's is not expensive, you won't have to download it during hours, buy a cdr, burn it, the whole thing 4 times.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Lolo from Paris ]

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 04:16 AM

I think we might be missing the point here Apple™ may or not be charging $20 for a hell of a lot of functionality, where good old Microsoft are charging HOW MUCH , was that $149!! for a carbon version of office. Is there really that much more functionality in Office! I ask you Put it in perspective please.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 05:14 AM

You people are missing the point.

10.1 IS FREE, WILL BE FREE, AND WILL ALWAYS BE FREE!!!

You're paying for ther disk, the packaging, the brocheurs, the man hours for people to pack the 100,000+ cds and the shipping and handling that the FREE 10.1 COMES ON!!!

Get over it cheap bastards! The $20 you're paying for S&H more than makes up for what Apple spend FED EX-ING US 10. ON A FRIGGING SATURDAY!!!

So when you all whine about paying for a real OS when 10 was a beta, just think about the good deal your getting! You get nice graphic CD(s), booklets, a box, someone put it in the box and the courier who delivered it! I don't remember many topics on HOW NICE APPLE was to FED EX every one on a SATURDAY when OS X first came out! Do you guys know what Saturday delivery costs? Then the $20 you are spending is a joke. Get a grip, wash some cars, sell some cigarettes, don't buy the latest CD and we'll all be loving the OS of The Future whenever it comes out

Lets see some screen shots of the latest biulds and stop complaining about a S&H charge.

BTW-Watch any info-mmercials? Every free product has a S&H charge. Not a Bad APPLE, just a way of life folks.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
<STRONG>
Fortunately, I myself was blessed with more self control and restraint and decided to sit back and wait till OSX was up to my expectations. I continue read through forums to see user reaction, and will continue to do so after 10.1 is released. Only until I am satisfied with the reaction that the majority of users express with it, will I even CONSIDER plunking down the $200(canadian) to install it on my computer.
</STRONG>
If everyone took this attitude, we'd be singing a death dirge now for OSX. Apple marketed it as for "early developers" and the Mac faithful piled in with a fistful of goodwill.

Shouldn't the people who have pulled OS X through the last 6 months be rewarded for the commitment, for their beta testing, for their comments, for spending over a $100 on this software? If OS X flies, Apple will make a lot of money out of it and it will be thanks largely to those people who bought the public beta and/or OSX 10.0 and suffered through spinning disks, crashes and reboots into OS9 for functionality. $20 is peanuts for what these people have done for Apple.

pelorus
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 07:03 AM

So $19 ain't nothing but you're not paying for the software.

Get a Red Hat Cd and you pay $25 or so. Okay, they offer a download too but that's Red Hat and not Apple.

pjkim
Jul 27, 2001, 08:17 AM

I definately remember Jobs saying, "Read my lips, no new taxes. The upgrade will be FREE." Maybe Jobs is so rich that he has fallen out of touch with what the rest of the world considers free. If there was a free download, then the most people would agree that the upgrade was free. Otherwise, he should have told the TRUTH and said the upgrade will cost $19.95 to cover distribution costs.

But then maybe OSX 10.0 was FREE too. The $129 was to cover CD, distribution, manual printing costs. And to think of it, my G4 was FREE too. Woo hoo, everybody get in line, FREE G4s.

Yeah. You do the math, $19.94 != FREE.

pjkim
Jul 27, 2001, 08:22 AM

Just one more thing, how much revenue does Apple expect to generate with the update fee when they say that people are welcome to make copies of it. They really need to balance this revenue with the loss of goodwill among their most loyal and devoted customers, the early adopters.

This move is more for the stockholders than the customers. May Apples stock tank for this one.

<EddieDesignsDotCom>
Jul 27, 2001, 08:34 AM

Apple gave me the best customer service I have ever experienced! When my Cube began shutting down randomly they immediately got it shipped from UK to Holland via DHL for free and I got it back within a week perfect. Not only that they put a new case on it.

OMG !! Have you ever experienced the 'service' in PC World, UK??!! ROTFL!! They've hardly got a clue on how to operate a PC let alone much else. My girlfriend bought a brand new Compaq only to get it back home and notice a scratched 2nd hand monitor - we had to take it to another store 20 miles away to get a replacement. That's just 1 example of UK's largest Computer retailer! They know nothing about Macs!

Give me a break! $20, �15 - is nothing. How much would you pay for Britney Spears CD? It cost me $28 to get a taxi to drive me 10 miles the other day. Godammit! A box of 20 cigarettes costs $7 here in UK. Petrol prices are the highest in Europe. We are lucky we're not charged 'UK prices' for OS 10.1

Until only recently I paid per minute to use 56k Internet - $200 a month.

Think yourselves lucky y'all!
http://www.EddieDesigns.com

Kate
Senior User
Jul 27, 2001, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by pjkim:
<STRONG>I definately remember Jobs saying, "Read my lips, no new taxes. The upgrade will be FREE." Maybe Jobs is so rich that he has fallen out of touch with what the rest of the world considers free. If there was a free download, then the most people would agree that the upgrade was free. Otherwise, he should have told the TRUTH and said the upgrade will cost $19.95 to cover distribution costs.

But then maybe OSX 10.0 was FREE too. The $129 was to cover CD, distribution, manual printing costs. And to think of it, my G4 was FREE too. Woo hoo, everybody get in line, FREE G4s.

Yeah. You do the math, $19.94 != FREE.</STRONG>

I did ask a CD maker for a quotation and this is what I got:
10.000 CDs plus jewel case, plus four page colour leaflet, plus CD label print, plus inlaycard, ready for delivery is as low as $ 0.35 per CD.

Oh, forgot that one: delivery possible within a week! And they send out single packages if you provide the address data. The mailing service (within the US) will cost $1 per unit plus a little surcharge depending on carrier.

This would cost even less if you order more than 10.000 CDs.
Sooooooo: $1.5 per CD everything included. If you want overnight express ask UPS yourself. But Apple easyly can make $10 profit, even if the update consists of up to four CDs.

I do not mind to PAY for the upgrade, but I do mind this idle marketing talk about "free" and "handling cost", those are people who have not the slighthest idea about cost or are "playing you for a sucker"!

period.

Anyway, the first official release of X should have been not a beta in the first place and cutting slice after slice out of customers purses is very bad for a business reputation.However, I will fork these Dollars out as well and throw them where the previous bucks have gone. Just for the hope they will "do it" this time.

<haripu>
Jul 28, 2001, 03:24 AM

i thought this might be of interest:

NBC Germany broadcasted a product-presentation with an apple spokesperson yesterday. sooner or later the question of 10.1 being a free download or not popped up.

here's what mr. niederlaender said: the idea is being explored. the problem lies mainly in the size of the download (he gave a numer of about or a little over 100 MB). but apple prefers to be on the save side and not promise something that will probably impossible due to server capacity. but they still have the option to put 10.1 online as a positive surprise, when the update finally comes out.

no interpretation, this is just what he said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules