Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Don't ditch the P4 just yet

Don't ditch the P4 just yet
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2001, 05:06 PM

Educate yourself about your enemies.
http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/01/8/p4/

Sometimes you have to take one step backwards before going two (or three) steps forward.

pjkim
Aug 4, 2001, 06:22 PM

Enemies? What enemies?

The P4 is just another processor. Get over it. Go outside. Give it up. Stop trolling.

Despite the marketing and hoopla, we are not at war. We are using computers. Our choice of computers and OSs don't make us enemies.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2001, 07:10 PM

we are not at war ? ... geeze...Jobs n team sure had me fooled, what will all the photoshop(carefully chosen) tests and all, not to mention comments such as "The reason i returned to Apple is because i didnt want to use Windows for the rest of my life", "Macs Suck",etc,etc....
And oh yeah....im using a PIII 550(i think) hear at school, and i regret to inform you guys that this system w/ win2000pro seems A WHOLE LOT snappier than OS9 or X on my PowerBookG4.i dont know why, but take a look at the comparison here...PowerBook G4 400 vs PIII 550. it really feels weird....but fast.(no flames, im just saying it as it is)

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Hawkeye_a ]

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2001, 07:28 PM

Sure, the Thunderbird Athlon is faster IN MOST tasks compared to the Pentium 4 right now... Yet, there are at least a couple of applications now where the Pentium 4 is faster... Quake III Arena and Adobe Photoshop... So, the P4 does have it's abilities.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

The Dude
Banned
Aug 5, 2001, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Norm1985:
<STRONG>Sure, the Thunderbird Athlon is faster IN MOST tasks compared to the Pentium 4 right now... Yet, there are at least a couple of applications now where the Pentium 4 is faster... Quake III Arena and Adobe Photoshop... So, the P4 does have it's abilities.</STRONG>
But it's one ****ing limited chip! EXPENSIVE too!

And not to mention the fact it sucks up like 40 or 50 watts of power! That ain't cool for some of our NoCal residents...

real
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 05:28 AM

or a SCAL resident
unplug a PC
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2001, 05:55 AM

Premiere owns on the P4, too.

The Pentium 4 is a horrible chip when it comes to basically anything else, though.

The Athlon is better bang for the buck.

Aside from the point, this platform debate is getting really old. I wish everyone would stop talking about which platform is better and forget the Wintel side exists at all.

It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have.

The Dude
Banned
Aug 5, 2001, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>

It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have. </STRONG>
I'll file that right under "It's not how big it is, it's how you use it."

Forum Links
Forum Rules