Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 667Mhz Powerbooks

New 667Mhz Powerbooks
Gigacorpse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 12:00 AM

I have noticed that several places are selling excess 667Mhz Powerbooks (1MB L3 cache/Combo Drive) for around $1800.00. Now, obviously the new 12" is faster but it does have the bigger screen.

Is it worth it?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 04:26 AM

I'd say the 667 DVI model (NOT VGA) is better. The screen res is higher (comfortable res for that model), it can hold more RAM, it has a good GPU, the CPU has a large L3 cache that makes a great deal of difference in terms of performance (something I found out when comparing my 667 VGA to the 667/800 DVI models). However, I don't know if $1800 USD is the going rate for these models now or what.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Gigacorpse:
I have noticed that several places are selling excess 667Mhz Powerbooks (1MB L3 cache/Combo Drive) for around $1800.00. Now, obviously the new 12" is faster but it does have the bigger screen.

Is it worth it?
Well, I'm typing this from my 667MHz PB that I bought 3 months ago. I'm not interested in the new 12" or 17" PowerBooks simply because my 667 does everything so well already. All that and the screen is simply AWESOME. I tested the 12" last week at the mall. The screen was just too small for me. Although the portability of the 12" is attractive, when I compare the features, I know that I'm hanging on to my 667Mhz PB. Not sure about the current deals, but I would imagine that it would go down even more once the newer 15" models come out.

urrl5201
Jan 29, 2003, 10:40 AM

I would not be so sure the 12" is faster either, at least until some real world tests come in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules