Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Changing the sidebar colour of an existing theme

Changing the sidebar colour of an existing theme
Thread Tools
Pix0r
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 12:47 PM
 
Hi all,

Since TP2.0 it's become possible to change the colour of the side bar without haveing to use elaborate hacks, could someone give me a quick walkthrough as to how I would go about changing an existing theme's sidebar background using TP?

Thanks
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 01:14 PM
 
-Install the theme you want to mod.

-Open TP and create new guiKit Package from the File Menu

-Click themes in the first column and then chose "Add"

-Name the new theme

-Click on the Elements in the 3rd column

-Click on the Application skins and add all the skins that are included in the theme you are modding.

-Go back to the 3rd column and click on Elements again, under the theme menu chose "Merge with installed elements" (this will import the theme)

-Chose "Global Elements" and find "Text Colors"

-In the "Text Colors" column you can edit any text related color in the theme, you'll want to change "Sidebar Background", you can also edit "List Background" to change the color of Finder window columns and list backgrounds.

-Once that's done you'll want to add a preview and description, that's easy enough just pop a preview image into that box and tell it to resize the element. You can also add icons, desktops and mighty mouse sets if you want.

All finished: Go to "Export" in the File menu and chose "For Shape Shifter"

Hope that helps.
click one
     
Pix0r  (op)
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 01:36 PM
 
Thank You kindly NS, worked like a charm!!
     
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 03:43 PM
 
Thanks for the tip. It works for me 2…almost.

I was trying to modify "P & P Tiger" and did managed to set the colours with no problem.

But 3/4 from the blue edges on the right and left corners of the menubar turned into grey (originally blue)???

ZXspectrum,
DK
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 04:18 PM
 
No prob.

Originally posted by ZXspectrum:
Thanks for the tip. It works for me 2…almost.

I was trying to modify "P & P Tiger" and did managed to set the colours with no problem.

But 3/4 from the blue edges on the right and left corners of the menubar turned into grey (originally blue)???

ZXspectrum,
DK
Sounds like you need to turn on menu enhancer before importing the installed elements. I'm at school right now, (so I don't have TP to look at) but I think it's on your themes list there's an options button where you can activate menu enhancer.
Menu enhancer basically adds some extra resources so you can add things like bevels and separators to the the menus. So if you turn that on and then merge installed elements, it should work and look fine.
click one
     
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 06:57 PM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
No prob.



Sounds like you need to turn on menu enhancer before importing the installed elements. I'm at school right now, (so I don't have TP to look at) but I think it's on your themes list there's an options button where you can activate menu enhancer.
Menu enhancer basically adds some extra resources so you can add things like bevels and separators to the the menus. So if you turn that on and then merge installed elements, it should work and look fine.
Hi,

did it.

but still the same side effects. strange that it's eliminating only 3/4 of the blue in the menubar.

i can send you my screen shoot if you want.


Thanks,
ZX
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 07:07 PM
 
Originally posted by ZXspectrum:
Hi,

did it.

but still the same side effects. strange that it's eliminating only 3/4 of the blue in the menubar.

i can send you my screen shoot if you want.


Thanks,
ZX
You tried making a new theme and activating the menu enhancer before merging the installed elements?
click one
     
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 07:17 PM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
You tried making a new theme and activating the menu enhancer before merging the installed elements?
yes.
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2004, 07:41 PM
 
Originally posted by ZXspectrum:
yes.
Hmm then I don't know what to tell you... I'll have to try it myself and see if I get the same result. I'll get back to you on that.
click one
     
DaveV1.0
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 08:03 AM
 
did you make sure you had the original p + p installed and NOT the modded version when you made the new theme and selected extra meu customization because your modded version will not contain the extra rescources
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 01:13 PM
 
Originally posted by DaveV1.0:
did you make sure you had the original p + p installed and NOT the modded version when you made the new theme and selected extra meu customization because your modded version will not contain the extra rescources
Good point.
click one
     
ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 01:39 PM
 
Hi,

It’s actually the first time that I am using TP or messing with the themes so thanks you all for your help.

I did manage to change the colours on Paper&Plastic v1.0. Although it also change the colour of the small star indicator (on the dock) of the mail app?


Still no luck with P&P Tiger but i will try again.

ZX.
     
Jay Condon
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 02:48 PM
 
I'd try starting fresh. Install your original theme, and test it out, making sure all is as you want it. If the original, "virgin" theme is showing problems, try going to the appearance pane of system preferences, and make sure "aqua" and NOT "graphite" is selected. Some themes don't include resources for graphite.

Then follow the above advice. Make sure to hit the options button after clicking "ADD" to create your new theme, and enable menu extras. Then when you get to appication skins under elements, go through the list and make sure to add ALL of the custon app skins (can't hurt). Once you've added all the app skins to your list, THEN go back to elements, click on it, and select merge with installed elements from the theme menu. This should incorporate every single thing from your installed theme into the new theme you've created.

Make sure you don't mess with anything you don't want to, and then edit your sidebar background and list background under text colors (under global elements). It's a bad idea to mess with the opacity of the colors, make sure it stays at 100%.

After exporting the file and installing into shapehifter, it should be okay. If not, if may be time to do some cache cleaning and other system maintenance.
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 07:42 PM
 
Originally posted by ZXspectrum:
Still no luck with P&P Tiger but i will try again.
It is the Tiger mod then? If so DaveV1.0 is right, you aren't going to be able to mod it this way since the Tiger mod has hacks beyond ThemePark to accomplish the Tiger style menu bar. You could ask how it is done though.
click one
     
.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2004, 08:05 PM
 
You will need to decompile with guiKitty, copy layo rsrc into your mod (Extras.rsrc) and recompile with guiKitty. You will need Resorcerer to accomplish this. I would recommend pulling the Extras file from Maxs' Tiger AE theme.
     
Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 28, 2004, 01:21 AM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
-Install the theme you want to mod.

-Open TP and create new guiKit Package from the File Menu

-Click themes in the first column and then chose "Add"

-Name the new theme

-Click on the Elements in the 3rd column

-Click on the Application skins and add all the skins that are included in the theme you are modding.

-Go back to the 3rd column and click on Elements again, under the theme menu chose "Merge with installed elements" (this will import the theme)

-Chose "Global Elements" and find "Text Colors"

-In the "Text Colors" column you can edit any text related color in the theme, you'll want to change "Sidebar Background", you can also edit "List Background" to change the color of Finder window columns and list backgrounds.

-Once that's done you'll want to add a preview and description, that's easy enough just pop a preview image into that box and tell it to resize the element. You can also add icons, desktops and mighty mouse sets if you want.

All finished: Go to "Export" in the File menu and chose "For Shape Shifter"

Hope that helps.
I am dumb but I cannot find "Sidebar Background", in text colors. has it moved?
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 28, 2004, 01:25 AM
 
Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I am dumb but I cannot find "Sidebar Background", in text colors. has it moved?
It should be 6 form the bottom of the list.
click one
     
Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 28, 2004, 01:55 AM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It should be 6 form the bottom of the list.
yea i somehow didnt have the latest version of themepark. mrtew sent me in the right direction.

btw, you haven't emailed me back or messaged me. no longer interested?
     
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 28, 2004, 02:42 AM
 
Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
yea i somehow didnt have the latest version of themepark. mrtew sent me in the right direction.

btw, you haven't emailed me back or messaged me. no longer interested?
Interested, but in-between things... done with school, but life continues. I do hope to get to at least one theme before I get a job in the design industry. I'll get back to you on it some time in the new year.
click one
     
crooner
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sin City™, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 28, 2004, 08:48 AM
 
Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Interested, but in-between things... done with school, but life continues. I do hope to get to at least one theme before I get a job in the design industry. I'll get back to you on it some time in the new year.
Ehem... yeah. Getting at least one theme done would be nice.

Are you feeling ready to tackle Vette? Lemme know.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 19, 2005, 02:05 AM
 


I'm having a problem with NEOS. Damn menu extras!
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 01:33 AM
 
Anyone willing to help me out please? This is really pissing me off. Thanks...
     
DaveV1.0
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 03:38 AM
 
Um I don't see whats wrong in that pic and I've been staring at it for ages now.
     
demograph68
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 04:22 AM
 
Originally posted by DaveV1.0:
Um I don't see whats wrong in that pic and I've been staring at it for ages now.
Look at what the red arrow is pointing at. Compare it to the before picture... BOOM!
     
digitaljames
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cupertino
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 07:44 AM
 
Looks like DSKY has edited the layo resource to maintain that cap by the apple menu and by editing it in Themepark, you lost it since TP can't translate that ino into the tpark file.

This tutorial may help you out.....
http://makkigui.vze.com/
     
themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dayton ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
 
holy crap i did it. how do you rename the theme after you choose "Add"? i cant seem to figure that out. so other than the fact that the edited theme is called "My Spiffy Theme" it's awesome : )
     
themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dayton ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
 
never mind...double clicking is an amazing new invention...
     
Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Huh?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 22, 2005, 04:44 AM
 
For all of that effort, I just would've modified the actual Finder file...been doing it since 10.3.4...a nice and easy mod.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.
     
llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 10, 2005, 01:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by digitaljames
Looks like DSKY has edited the layo resource to maintain that cap by the apple menu and by editing it in Themepark, you lost it since TP can't translate that ino into the tpark file.

This tutorial may help you out.....
http://makkigui.vze.com/
How did you do it?! I get a 403 when I click the link http://makkigui.vze.com/. Thanks.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,