Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet?

Anyone received their MacBook Pro yet? (Page 5)
tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Seriously. Some of you sound like spoiled children. Just enjoy what you'll have.

my sentiments exactly

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

I would almost pay extra for all of this excitement.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

No, it doesn't "matter that freaking much". Or at least it shouldn't for most people. But some of us are looking for the fastest machines out there that will run Final Cut Studio (when the Universal Binaries come out in the next few weeks) and other critical apps. And if a faster machine is available, then it might make more sense from a business/efficiency standpoint. As long as these new machines arrive before the binaries do, we'll be like three little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like?

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2006, 01:31 PM

First of all, I just love when people whine about whiners.

Second, IMO Apple did this because the pre-sales of the macbook were a lot worse than they expected. I was waiting for intel macbooks, but decided to wait to see what the 17" and 13.3/12" were going to offer. However, I am probably going to get the 15" now because of these faster processors.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 01:33 PM

If 2.0 was enough before the 2.16 existed, then 2.0 will still be enough now that the 2.16 exists. :-) A 2.16 GHz processor coming out does not make anything below it automatically slower.

160 MHz for $300 USD from a business standpoint is not a smart investment.

ender78
Feb 14, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by slffl
Second, IMO Apple did this because the pre-sales of the macbook were a lot worse than they expected
Or the orders were so much better that Apple got a good deal on the faster processor. I don't think that there is any lack of sales [given the 3-4 week ship times].

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
If 2.0 was enough before the 2.16 existed, then 2.0 will still be enough now that the 2.16 exists. :-) A 2.16 GHz processor coming out does not make anything below it automatically slower.

160 MHz for $300 USD from a business standpoint is not a smart investment.
Tomchu, your non-defeasible inferences astound me. It's not that the 2.0 is slower, or even that the 2.0 is slower by comparison. It's that there's something faster, namely the 2.16. I'll give you a pass on non-monotonic logic this time because you're from Vancouver, so you must be cool.
What do you do there, by the way? I just finished the process for dual citizenship, so I may live in Vancouver for a while.

Also, the speed difference between 1.83 and 2.0 is not much greater than that between 2.0 and 2.16. When you take the VRAM, slightly larger drive, and memory into account (particularly with what Apple charges for memory), that original speed bump isn't much less than $300 either.

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 02:01 PM

Call Apple for a recorded message on the recent upgrades of the MBP processors.

1-800-676-2775

Press the option for your language (1 for English), then to check the status of an existing order (2), then MacBook Pro (1).

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 02:04 PM

Most likely, the particular chips could not be produced for one reason or another, and perhaps at a small cost, the Intel chips could be manufactured - so rather than delaying the units, it's turned into a bonus for users.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GreenwoodMO
Call Apple for a recorded message on the recent upgrades of the MBP processor.
Rather than having all of us call, is there anything new there?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2006, 02:14 PM

I had ordered the 1.83GHz last week with a shipping date of 3/16. After the announcement today, I cancelled my order and "upgraded" to the 2.16GHz, 100GB 7200 HDD. Got a confirmation of estimated ship date of 2/17.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

atc ben
Feb 14, 2006, 02:23 PM

Or is this just more proof that the MBP chips are indeed, the same as the ones used in the iMacs? I wonder if we'll see a 2.16Mhz iMac.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by schalliol
Rather than having all of us call, is there anything new there?
Heres the highlights of the recording. Pretty much confirms what we have been hearing.
  • MBP's start shipping this week
  • Orders for the 1.67GHz chip will be automatically upgraded to the 1.83GHz chip
  • Orders for the 1.83GHz chip will be automatically upgraded to the 2.0GHz chip
  • Email will be sent to all persons with preorders describing these changes and it will contain information on any revised shipping dates.
  • Online status regarding these changes will show up by Wednesday 2/15
  • You can upgrade your order to the 2.16Ghz chip for an additional cost

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hachimachi
Tomchu, your non-defeasible inferences astound me. It's not that the 2.0 is slower, or even that the 2.0 is slower by comparison. It's that there's something faster, namely the 2.16.
I understand that. You understand that. Reading this thread, though, it seems like a few do not understand that. :-) They make it sound like it's the end of the world that they no longer have the top of the line, or that they'll be completely unable to do their work now that they don't have that extra .16 GHz.

What do you do there, by the way? I just finished the process for dual citizenship, so I may live in Vancouver for a while.
I'm a hardware reviewer for Neoseeker.com, and I'm starting BCIT in September for their Computer Systems Technology program. That's about it. Oh, and I drive out to Maple Ridge on the weekends to visit my girlfriend. :-P
( Last edited by Tomchu; Mar 1, 2006 at 01:44 AM. )

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
my sentiments exactly
I agree as well, but lets stay focused, the shipping date is soon, and regardless of plus or minus 400mhz, these are going to be nice laptops

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 02:54 PM

It seems to me that from this interview. MBPs will not be shipping tomorrow. He notes that we'll have the opportunity to adjust our orders, but they can't expect people to respond within moments. As such, I doubt my machine will ship tomorrow.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:01 PM

It seems to me that from this interview. MBPs will not be shipping tomorrow. He notes that we'll have the opportunity to adjust our orders, but they can't expect people to respond within moments. As such, I doubt my machine will ship tomorrow.
I agree. Until the email describing the upgrade has been out long enough giving people a chance to adjust their orders it would make since for Apple to hold off shipping for a couple more days. I don't think anyone has even received their email yet either.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:07 PM

I wonder how they will do it. I would think they'll give a certain number of days for one to decide, but if they have a link you can go to to tell them your choice, perhaps the first to respond will be the first to get the products. I'd guess that units ordered through retailers will be upgraded as the other ones will, yet they won't have the option to change.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:08 PM

On the plus side, the "all shipments delayed to the 28th" story doesn't seem to be true either, unless there really are crossed signals at Apple. It sounds like even low-end MBPs will ship by next week.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:18 PM

Well my shipment just got delayed. *#@$@#$#@$

This is ridiculous.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:19 PM

My order page was just updated with an estimated ship date of February 28th! Previously it was the 15th. The product description is unchanged and still shows

MBPRO 15/1.83/1X1G/100/256VRAM/SD-USA

Hopefully, when they update the product to reflect the 2.0GHZ processor, the ship date will once again change to sometime "this week".

Has anyone else seen a change in there estimated ship date?

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
Well my shipment just got delayed. *#@$@#$#@$

This is ridiculous.
Tikki, where did you get that widget!?!?

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jimbosyn
Tikki, where did you get that widget!?!?
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...derstatus.html

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:29 PM

This is the order I just placed.

I jumped on the 2.16ghz boat, cancelled my 1.83 (-> 2.0ghz) order before they updated the shipping time. Hmmm....

vasu
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 03:33 PM

just called to confirm my shipping date pushed back a week, and if i upraded to a 2ghz, i'd go to the back of the line

-vasu

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:38 PM

Keeping Fingers Crossed:

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:38 PM

Yeah for some reason I don't believe mine will ship in 3 days either-- unless the 2.16ghz chips are ready and the other chips are back-logged or something?

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 03:49 PM

schalliol -
your widget says "shipped in 0 days" -
does that mean it's shipping today?

Mine still says shipping by Feb 15th...

RickerOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 03:56 PM

Better still, prior to shipment we've improved the entire MacBook Pro family
with configurations starting at 1.83Ghz up to 2.16GHz. We have upgraded your
MacBook Pro from a 1.83GHz processor to a 2.0GHz processor at no additional
cost! We anticipate shipping your upgraded order by February 28, 2006.

Gee, thanks. .17ghz cost me 13 days.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by RickerOne

Gee, thanks. .17ghz cost me 13 days.

Has anyone else received an email confirming the change yet? I wonder if all of the preorders are now pushed to the last day in February.

When Steve said "Ships in February", he barely made it

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:06 PM

Yikes, I should have checked my inbox. Just got this from Apple.

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Today we announced that this week Apple will begin shipping the new 15.4-inch
MacBook Pro featuring the Intel Core Duo processor, a built-in iSight, Front
Row with Apple Remote and more. The reception of the MacBook Pro has been
tremendous and we are working hard to ship as many units as fast as possible.

To learn more about the most recent upgrades to the MacBook Pro family, please
visit http://www.apple.com/macbookpro. You might be interested to know that
Apple is offering an even faster processor - the 2.16GHz. This is a custom
configured option and is available for an additional charge.

If you decide you'd like to make a change to your upgraded MacBook Pro order,
we're happy to help. You may reach us at at 1-800-676-2775, Mon-Fri 7 am-10 pm
and 9 am-6 pm Sat-Sun (Central). Some change requests may extend your shipment
date slightly. If we do not hear from you by February 18th, we will ship the
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo.

Our systems will reflect the change to your order by February 15. Please visit
http://www.apple.com/orderstatus <http://www.apple.com/orderstatus> for the
most up-to-date information on your upgraded order. A shipment notification,
with tracking information, will be emailed to you as soon as your order is
shipped.

Thank you very much for shopping at the Apple Store!

Sincerely,
The Apple Store Team
Things to note, It looks like you can call to upgrade to the 2.16 processor, but this _MUST_ be done by the 18th. My original order was January 19th. Hope this helps someone.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:10 PM

Mine reads: ... We anticipate shipping your order by February 23, 2006.
So, have we concluded that the 2.16 will ship before the early-pre-ordered 1.83/2.0?

terigox
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:12 PM

Mine reads: ... We anticipate shipping your order by February 23, 2006.
So, have we concluded that the 2.16 will ship before the early-pre-ordered 1.83/2.0?
Hmm...... makes me want to consider changing my order GRRR I can wait another week, mine is supposed to be here right around the beginning of the month.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:20 PM

I just got the same email as jimbosyn. I called and was told the estimated shipping if I upgraded to the 2.16GHz would be 2-4 weeks. Forget that, I'm done waiting. I asked him to note that I choose the 2.0GHz so that hopefully they don't wait until the 18th to decide to ship mine.

My order status also changed to ship on the 28th of February, delivered on the 7th of March shortly before I got the email. I ordered mine on the 11th of January though. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 28th is just a catch all date for pre-orders.

By the way, if you select a 2.16GHz on the online store now is says 3-4 weeks for shipping. Don't get your hopes up if you ordered one earlier today, I really doubt you are getting it any sooner.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't change my order unless I needed/wanted that extra speed bump. But if I did, then it could be doubly good, because I would get a faster computer, and I may get it sooner. So the question remains... do I want that extra speed bump (that's recursion for ya).

RickerOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:37 PM

I just called to say I did not want the 2.16 (in hopes they would ship faster) and the rep who was very cool said my ship day still shows tomorrow. FWIW.

He was very nice and I understand that all the reps got overwhelmed with the surprise this morning. He even was going to upgrade my shipping to 2-day but I had already purchased the 2-day shipping.

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:41 PM

Just got my email from Apple about the upgrade.
Mine as well says "by the 28th."
But my shipping date still reads tomorrow the 15th. We'll see how that updates tomorrow.
No big deal - only another week or so.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:43 PM

However the shipping is delayed, I have to say this:

Isn't it nice to finally have an Apple laptop that crosses the 2 GHz mark?

The Power Mac G5 hit that mark almost three years ago. Yes, clock speed isn't everything, but it is a psychological milestone which is tremendously satisfying to reach.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:44 PM

Well, I talked to an Apple by calling the Apple Store. They said that my order still shows up as being shipped tomorrow... lets hope that is really the case.

Edit: fark! It just got updated to 2.28 shipping, 3/3 delivery. :-(

RickerOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:44 PM

2/28 ship 3/3 delivery now.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:52 PM

Yep, same as basically everyone else I'm still happy to get the faster one of course. It would have been nice not to be expecting it to ship within 24 hours and then get moved at that point. I know that Apple does such things for fanfare, and it's probably a good idea from that point.

Freeway Fritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 04:53 PM

Hey - what has happened to all those who were posting on various forums yesterday about having their credit cards charged for their MBP? Do they have any info to share with us about their shipping times?

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:59 PM

Got my email from Apple and my online shipping status has changed to an estimated ship date of 2/28 and delivery of 3/7.

Bennii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 05:01 PM

I just got off of the phone with an Apple Rep. I received the same email as most others (regarding upsizing the processor). My ship date went from 1 day to 2 weeks. However, the rep assured me that they are STILL shipping out tomorrow. She said that the delivery dates are auto-generated, and will be adjusted back to the original date by the end of business day today PST. I asked her 3 times, to be sure that she was not giving me a Clintonian definition (i.e. what is "is"). She promised. We'll see!

t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 05:05 PM

Here is the official press release from Apple:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006...acbookpro.html

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 05:11 PM

Weird, my shipping date moved to 2/28 but it still shows the old order info as to speed and price.

And HOW DARE anyone make assumptions on my need or desire to have top of the line when I'm spending MY 3000 DOLLARS??? Yes I want the biggest/fastest, I'm an American!

:-P
Z

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 05:15 PM

That was posted about 30 posts ago, but it's always nice to have official stuff injected every once in a while.

zac4mac: very nice. There is something special about having the best of the best, so I do hear you. I really would like a Henk briefcase as well.

Hachimachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 05:37 PM

Yeah. Then I'd sell it and buy a Tumi and a car.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 06:08 PM

No, I was a little incensed at Tomchu's comment about spoiled children. If I'm gonna spend this much of my hard earned cash, I want what I want; and that's nobody's business but mine. I order the fastest I can, so they last as long as possible.

That Henk is quite a vault, my luggage consists of old shipping containers and Pelican boxes. Not what anybody in their right mind would call "fancy". Also - Schalliol - nice to see someone else that registered here back in the 20th Century.

Z

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2006, 06:30 PM

I've got an order in for 2 MacBooks - standard configs of the entry level and faster one. Ordered 3 Feb when the website said delivery "February".

Until this afternoon, the shipping date was 28 Feb with delivery on 6 March. Now it says shipping 3 March with delivery on 14 March. Delivery went from 6 days to 11 days? Very disappointing. I think the theory that Apple did this because they wanted to smooth over the delayed delivery times is probably the right one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules