Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Chrome: one step ahead of Safari

Google Chrome: one step ahead of Safari
Thread Tools
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 01:02 AM
 
I find it amusing that Chrome is generally a little more bleeding edge than Safari is these days, despite Google not being the primary Webkit caretakers.

The Chrome dev tools are more advanced providing several features that you can only get in the Safari nightlies right now, and the Javascript engines are different with Chrome using V8 and Safari using Nitro/Squirrelfish Extreme. I've lost track of which one is faster, it is a constant neck in neck race, and Firefox 4 and the new version of Opera out now may change all of this anyway. I've found that Chrome's JS engine often executes some things that Safari's chokes on, although I don't have any specific examples I can share right now.

On Windows, Firefox is more popular than both Chrome and Safari, but between the two Chrome seems to be regarded as the better browser. On the Mac side Chrome might be slightly more lightweight.

All of this makes me think that perhaps Apple is most interested in making Webkit based browsers dominant, but they don't care as much about making Safari specifically the most dominant browser. Either that, or they feel that it is in their best interest to be more conservative with making new Webkit features available via Safari, but I'm inclined to think it is the former because Apple had plenty of opportunities to make Safari a better Windows browser, this has never seemed like something they've been terribly interested in so long as long as Webkit is doing well...

I know that many Mac users here don't like Chrome because of its interface, but I'm contemplating yet another switch to Chrome for developing on and maybe even using primarily. Are any of you using Chrome full time now? Will you be evaluating Firefox 4 and the new version of Opera, or are you getting a little tired of jumping from browser to browser? Where are you at these days?
     
Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
 
Been using Chrome as my primary browser for nearly two years on both Mac and Windows and have been using it as my developing browser over the last months as well.

To me the interface is one of the best features of Chrome, I find Safari kind of old fashioned compared to it.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
All of this makes me think that perhaps Apple is most interested in making Webkit based browsers dominant, but they don't care as much about making Safari specifically the most dominant browser. Either that, or they feel that it is in their best interest to be more conservative with making new Webkit features available via Safari, but I'm inclined to think it is the former
Absolutely. Apple does't want others to develop de facto standards that lock Apple out of markets or put up monopolistic gatekeepers who effectively control the internet experience (everyone developing only for IE and throwing in activex everywhere) or one of its killer features -- video (Adobe Flash). So it backs things like html5 and webkit because competitors won't control those. But backing it isn't enough. Money talks, bullshit walks, which means Apple must create things people actually want to use in enough numbers to keep these standards alive.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 11:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Are any of you using Chrome full time now? Will you be evaluating Firefox 4 and the new version of Opera, or are you getting a little tired of jumping from browser to browser? Where are you at these days?
No chrome here. I'm pleased with Safari 5, some extensions for it, and also Firefox. I keep both open and use Firefox for some stuff, but mostly Safari 5. Unless chrome is hands-down better and faster than both of these, I'm not inclined to switch.
     
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FFM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
 
Apple is more conservative with the release of stable versions, which means that things they consider experimental (like WebGL) make it into the stable release later. Others get a chance to comment on the implementation before things get out in public and possibly fragment the web. I'm fine with that approuch. If you want bleeding edge you can use WebKit.

Google is a company where everything but search is always and forever in beta. Different philosophy.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 01:23 PM
 
On my PC I used mostly Firefox, and Safari. (I like the MobileMe sync with Safari as well as the SUPER reader functionality.) Chrome offers neither of these. Firefox has my extensions. I see no reason to use Chrome.

On my Mac, I use Safari pretty much exclusively (for the reasons listed above ... did I mention I love Reader??) No reason for me to use Chrome here either.

I'm glad Chrome exists. Competition is good.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 01:42 PM
 
I'd forgotten about Reader, but it is one of my most-used features and I'm annoyed when I have to read many web pages without it.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I'd forgotten about Reader, but it is one of my most-used features and I'm annoyed when I have to read many web pages without it.
Absolutely. When I use Firefox and I try to read CNN (or whatever), it is actually painful now. EVERY browser should be required to support that feature.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
 
Oh yeah, and I'd like to see Safari on the iPad also gain a reader feature.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 07:09 PM
 
I like Chrome, but I wish it would use the system's Flash instead of its own version.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
 
Chrome is my preferred Windows browser. Still use Safari under OSX.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 07:26 PM
 
Not a big fan of flash at all. Only keep it loaded in one browser in the event I *NEED* to use it. Block it in Firefox and Safari. If Chrome has it's own version, that's a negative.

(I stopped loving Flash when it became a vehicle for obnoxious ads)
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 08:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I like Chrome, but I wish it would use the system's Flash instead of its own version.
Out of curiosity, why?

Chrome's auto-update ultimately makes it far easier to keep Flash current, which is important given that it is now the biggest attack surface for malware.

Also, Google's making Flash run in a sandbox soon, sooner than Adobe itself will manage to do it!
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 09:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple is more conservative with the release of stable versions, which means that things they consider experimental (like WebGL) make it into the stable release later. Others get a chance to comment on the implementation before things get out in public and possibly fragment the web. I'm fine with that approuch. If you want bleeding edge you can use WebKit.

Google is a company where everything but search is always and forever in beta. Different philosophy.

They are also slower about making bug fixes available, fixes that are available in the Nightlies/Webkit and Chrome.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 09:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Out of curiosity, why?

Chrome's auto-update ultimately makes it far easier to keep Flash current, which is important given that it is now the biggest attack surface for malware.

Also, Google's making Flash run in a sandbox soon, sooner than Adobe itself will manage to do it!
I'm almost always running a Flash beta, and 10.2 is quite efficient. Almost any time I watch a video with Chrome with more than a few tabs open I get the beachball.

Edit: Photo: ]
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Dec 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM. )
     
dzp111
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sudbury, ON
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
 
Seems like every 6 months or so I do the switch between Safari and FF, it's almost instinctive now, not sure why. I seem to get tired of the browser in front of me and when I look at the other, I like it more -just to switch again in the future.

I would love to stumble on the 'perfect browser' one day.. ; )

Can anyone here build one?

Please?

thanks.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Out of curiosity, why?

Chrome's auto-update ultimately makes it far easier to keep Flash current, which is important given that it is now the biggest attack surface for malware.

Also, Google's making Flash run in a sandbox soon, sooner than Adobe itself will manage to do it!
Can Chrome's version of flash be disabled or turned off?
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Chrome is my preferred Windows browser. Still use Safari under OSX.
Me too. Bookmark syncing is nice, I can mark stuff at work and have it available in the garage when I get home.
     
Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by driven View Post
Can Chrome's version of flash be disabled or turned off?
Yes and you can tell Chrome to use the Flash version you have installed in your system.

In the address bar in Chrome type "about: plugins" and disable the built in Flash. I think it is better to use the built in Flash as it is sandboxed.
     
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2010, 01:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Yes and you can tell Chrome to use the Flash version you have installed in your system.

In the address bar in Chrome type "about: plugins" and disable the built in Flash. I think it is better to use the built in Flash as it is sandboxed.
I was asking because I prefer to disable Flash all together. (Gets rid of annoying flyover ads)
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 21, 2010, 02:27 PM
 
You can't tell it to use another version of Flash (unless I'm missing something), only disable it altogether.
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You can't tell it to use another version of Flash (unless I'm missing something), only disable it altogether.
In Chrome if you type aboutlugins, click details you can disable the built-in Flash plug-in and enable whatever version you've downloaded.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2010, 10:47 AM
 
It only lets me disable or enable Flash from the aboutlugins page.
     
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Dallas, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It only lets me disable or enable Flash from the aboutlugins page.
You definitely clicked details in the upper right corner?
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
 
Oh.... didn't see that, thanks.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,