Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > American Choppers (may be jpeg monster)

American Choppers (may be jpeg monster)
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Feb 28, 2005, 06:21 PM

I was inspired by the "Oultaw Biker Name" thread, and notice someone mentioned one of the best shows on television. Too bad they actually censor the swear words...

Great Show.

Why did I start a thread on the topic? I'd like everyone to:

- Share your favorite theme bikes, ideas, and related stories to Choppers in general and the show.

- Share pics of their dream chopper, or ideas for one.

- Motorcycle stories and pics also welcome. Doesn't have to be chopper necessarily if that isn't your cup of tea.

OCC web site

Personally, I couldn't find a picture of the nostalgic bike for Jay Leno. One of my favorites.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 06:23 PM

Mikey's bike is still my favorite The blueness and 50's car hints are nice.
Aloha

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 06:26 PM

I liked the 2 parter about the one they made from scratch using a suped up lawn mower engine.

It's a cool show, even though I'm not really a chopper fan, per se.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 06:29 PM

That was fast.

I am more of a 50's nostalgia person myself. I like cafe racers, and really don't go for the long rake they have in thir choppers, but the show is highly entertaining, and it is one of the few I can watch with my wife before she turns on WE, Lifetime, Oxygen, etc... then I have to leave the room. I have a sneaking suspician she turns on ESPN when I leave though..

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 06:51 PM

If I had money to spend wrecklessly I'd get a chopper That whole "long" thing works well with tall people
Aloha

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 07:00 PM

i like the show even though i am not a chopper or motorcycle fan. its interesting to see the projects they do and its always entertaining to see sr. and jr. bitch at each other

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 08:25 PM

FIND GUS A WOMEN

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 09:42 PM

Voice of dissent, here. The few times I 've watched the show I find it terribly annoying, and I think the bikes are ridiculous. Not just ugly, but childishly stupid. The helicopter bike thing? The fire engine bike thing? Ack.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Voice of dissent, here. The few times I 've watched the show I find it terribly annoying, and I think the bikes are ridiculous. Not just ugly, but childishly stupid. The helicopter bike thing? The fire engine bike thing? Ack.
thats because those two bikes were childishly stupid. try making a fire engine bike thats not childishly stupid.

i think their lincoln mark lt is one of their better bikes.

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 1, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Honestly, the Lincoln bike was the first bike they have made that I liked. The guys are a bunch of charismatic goofballs. That's what makes the show cool.

If you want to see works of art as choppers, then you should watch Biker Build-off.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Honestly, the Lincoln bike was the first bike they have made that I liked. The guys are a bunch of charismatic goofballs. That's what makes the show cool.

If you want to see works of art as choppers, then you should watch Biker Build-off.
Better, but not my cup of tea, honestly. Besides, every time I see Indian Larry (I know this is so outta line and cold-blooded), I start chuckling. I know, I know, I know! It's wrong to find humor in Indian Larry. It's disgusting, inhuman, etc.

But I still chuckle.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 01:55 AM

While their bikes aren't my style, I can appreciate their artwork.

If you think about it, they really don't make much of the bike. Just the frame...

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 1, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
While their bikes aren't my style, I can appreciate their artwork.

If you think about it, they really don't make much of the bike. Just the frame...
The OCC guys have someone else make their frames.

Mostly, they are assemblers. They fabricate a few pieces, but for the most part they buy parts from other companies and assemble them into a single bike.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2005, 11:04 AM

I can't put my finger on it, but I really don't like this show. "Biker Buildoff".
I like the OCC because they do a great deal of charity work and give back to the Biker Community. (i.e., "The Michael Mann Bike")

The iRobot Bike was very cool!

They should make an iChopper for Apple.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 11:25 AM

Love the show. The creativity is excellent. My favorite is also Mikey's blues bike, followed by the Snap On bike., but, for the most part, all of them are excellent designs. I've owned a motorcycle (30 years ago), and I hope to get one again in the next couple of years.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 08:06 PM

Mostly, they are assemblers. They fabricate a few pieces, but for the most part they buy parts from other companies and assemble them into a single bike.
maybe in the past, but most of the more recent shows they fabricate most of the pieces. i mean, they don't build the motor or anything else like that, but i think that their metal shop makes the frames, stock fenders and gas tanks, etc.

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 2, 2005, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
maybe in the past, but most of the more recent shows they fabricate most of the pieces. i mean, they don't build the motor or anything else like that, but i think that their metal shop makes the frames, stock fenders and gas tanks, etc.
They take stock frames, gas tanks, and fenders and modify them. They buy about 90% of the parts and modify about 50% of them.

But that is really their "theme" bikes. I'll bet 95% of the rest of their business is simply assembling parts and having someone else paint them.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 02:37 PM

I really used to like this show, but now that it's gotten so popular my interest is waning. I have to say, though, that unlike some other Discovery Channel shows where the tension seems so forced (e.g. American Hot Rod), I still really believe that when these guys are yelling at each other, it's for real.

Personal favorite bike-builder site: www.choppersinc.com (it's a little loud)

Forum Links
Forum Rules