Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Favorite Anime?

Favorite Anime? (Page 3)
ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
has anyone here seen Ghost in the shell 2 Innocence?
Saw it last weekend, it was pretty good. It's out at the end of Decemeber in R1:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0006A9FMI/

I'm a bit of a Masamune Shirow fanboy, and can hardly wait to see Appleseed 2004.

TheDeathman
Nov 28, 2004, 12:58 AM

This topic is kind of old but I'm gonna revive it

My favorite anime is Naruto(I'm up to episode 35 or something)

if it's been said sorry but I love this one.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
[B]Guyver. Only the first 6 episodes, though. The rest sucked.
How about the live action one with Mark Hammil? Wow, talk about suck. It was sublime suckage though.

My list:

Macross <-- macII monster. 3 seconds of airtime but still badass!
Macross Zero
All of GitS
All of Studio Ghibli
Akira, but just for kaneda's bike.
Hedging my bets on the new Appleseed movie coming out to top my list.

Anyone remember Megazone 23? Crap, but again with the cool motorcycles.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2004, 10:50 AM

I thought someone might find this cool. Today I went to see the Osamu Tezuka Museum. he's the grandfather of modern animation and manga. His museum was a block away from a show my class went to, so I figured I'd go in. Japan is so much fun. Where else can you see Astro Boy dressed up like Santa?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 12:31 PM

That's excellent, Dan! One day I WILL get to the Ghibli museum, dammit!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
That's excellent, Dan! One day I WILL get to the Ghibli museum, dammit!
Its a cool place, so I've been told. If I ever get to Tokyo, I'll go. Sadly Tokyos a bit too expensive for me right now.

OreoCookie
Nov 29, 2004, 09:46 AM

I kinda like Ebichu, the house keeping hamster. Hilariously funny.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 09:16 PM

2x2=Shinobuden 10,11 and 12 are out, which means no more Shinobu;

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
So is R.O.D a series or what? I liked the movie but I don't think I would want to watch a series if my fav characters weren't in it.
Oops; seems I forgot some of my post.

The three-episode OVA has been out for some time. There is also a TV series based on the OVA; I can't remember if it's been released yet, but if not then it's coming soon. Either way, the TV series doesn't include the main characters as far as I'm aware. Instead it follows the lives of three young recruits with the same powers as the main character of the OVA.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:

The three-episode OVA has been out for some time. There is also a TV series based on the OVA; I can't remember if it's been released yet, but if not then it's coming soon. Either way, the TV series doesn't include the main characters as far as I'm aware. Instead it follows the lives of three young recruits with the same powers as the main character of the OVA.
Actually, the main character is an author who had befriended the main character from the OVA (I presume in a manga). She really misses her friend, who is absent. It's not much of a spoiler to say that the characters from the OVA do make their appearance, and not as just cameos either.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 08:32 PM

And I wouldn't call the paper sisters recruits. They're basically independent.

I kinda like Ebichu, the house keeping hamster. Hilariously funny.
Oh yes. If you like that, you might like Ippatu Kikimusume.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2004, 11:47 PM

Ninja Christmas!

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
2x2=Shinobuden 10,11 and 12 are out, which means no more Shinobu;
Shinobu rocked. hilarious. now i need to find another anime like it. any suggestions anyone (and nothing licensed. its not like i have a problem with dubs but i'm not spending 24 dollars on 3 episodes.)?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 01:01 AM

ghost in the shell, and i like ninja scroll
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2004, 04:16 AM

I never saw the OVA, but I really enjoyed ROD TV. I don't know if they made their way to the U.S. yet, but the fan subbed versions floating around are very good quality.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 05:03 AM

I just started getting into anime a couple weeks ago. Now I have seen Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, the first episode of Magic Users Club, and about a third of Trigun. I have to say Azumanga is definitely my favorite. Love Hina was more of a soap opera than Azumanga and was completely filled with fanservice, but I still liked it. Trigun seems like a lot of fun and I'm anxious to see more of it. It's a good mix of action and playfulness. Azumanga is still my favorite though!

Oh yeah... you want scary? I'll give you scary!

www.buildupstudiosigma.com <--- Cosplaying gone WAY too far

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
I just started getting into anime a couple weeks ago. Now I have seen Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, the first episode of Magic Users Club, and about a third of Trigun. I have to say Azumanga is definitely my favorite. Love Hina was more of a soap opera than Azumanga and was completely filled with fanservice, but I still liked it. Trigun seems like a lot of fun and I'm anxious to see more of it. It's a good mix of action and playfulness. Azumanga is still my favorite though!

love hina was a pretty entertaining manga but the anime SUCKS ASSSSZ

anime soap opera dramedies done right can be really funny and teach you about japanese culture. like some millennium mentioned...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

That particular style of cosplay is called kigurumi, and yes, it is scary. Take your standard cosplay, but then add a matte-finish bodysuit (so that your skin looks painted) and a hyper-accurate mask which also looks painted. The result is, as I noted, scary.

I tend to think of cosplaying as being similar to alcohol: fun but potentially addictive to a life-destroying degree, and the first sign of trouble is when you do it alone. I went cosplaying with a big group once; we went as the full cast of Saiyuki at Otakon 2003. A pic of the whole group can be found here, but I leave it to you to guess which one I am. And no, I don't run this page.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
Shinobu rocked. hilarious. now i need to find another anime like it. any suggestions anyone (and nothing licensed. its not like i have a problem with dubs but i'm not spending 24 dollars on 3 episodes.)?
I've heard great things about Galaxy Angel, but have yet to see an episode. My local place doesn't have the official season 1 DVD for rent yet, but the fansubs are up to season 4, IIRC. But that's more wacky space hijinks than ninjas.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 02:57 PM

ill put in my two cents.

i love Dragon Ball

not dragon ball z and especially dragon ball gt, but regular dragon ball. Since i dont know japanese i settle for the spanish ones because they translate it better than here in the states.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 03:51 PM

I'm gonna see Angelic Layer, Excel Saga, Chobits and Cowboy Bebop pretty soon. Once I get the time, which shouldn't be hard over Christmas break.

Apparently Excel Saga is really, really weird and the main character dies four times in the first episode.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 05:29 PM

Time to dig this up again.

I just got done watching Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (Miyazaki's latest) and Steamboy (by the same director as Akira).

I'd have to say that they were both great, and definately live up to the hype. If you haven't seen them, I'd definately suggest checking both out when you get a chance.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

Any recommendations for me? I'm not a anime person but I love Naruto and Initial D. Mainly because I like cars and all the thought that they put into these recent episodes, and Naruto's just plain hilarious goodness ...

Anything you think i'd enjoy? (please no demon ninja's with 18 tentacled penii...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 05:47 PM

Cowboy Bebop
Wolf's Rain
Lain: The Serial Experiments
Mononoke Hime
Nausica�
FLCL

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Any recommendations for me? I'm not a anime person but I love Naruto and Initial D. Mainly because I like cars and all the thought that they put into these recent episodes, and Naruto's just plain hilarious goodness ...

Anything you think i'd enjoy? (please no demon ninja's with 18 tentacled penii...
Any of Miyazaki's stuff is good, and Ghost in the Shell (all of it) is also superb.

As far as series go, Tenchi and Ranma are both fun (not the stupid censored US versions, though).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Any of Miyazaki's stuff is good, and Ghost in the Shell (all of it) is also superb.

As far as series go, Tenchi and Ranma are both fun (not the stupid censored US versions, though).
The US version of Ranma is OK, if you go for the subtitled version (the DVD will suffice). I'm not sure what you mean by the "censored" version of Ranma; Tenchi was edited for its release on Cartoon Network, but Ranma has never been released on TV in the US, and so it hasn't been edited for such.

The Chobits manga is wonderful, but avoid the anime. It's not uncommon for a manga to be better than its corresponding anime, but seldom is the gap that wide.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:27 PM

The US version of Ranma is OK, if you go for the subtitled version (the DVD will suffice). I'm not sure what you mean by the "censored" version of Ranma; Tenchi was edited for its release on Cartoon Network, but Ranma has never been released on TV in the US, and so it hasn't been edited for such.
Hmm, I have a censored version of Ranma from somewhere. I just assumed it was the US version because of past experience with other series (see Tenchi). I stand corrected.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Miyazaki .. I think I've seen all of his stuff (up to spirited away) ... i think that's miyazaki ..

i remember watching totoro and that anime with the floating city and those robots .. and stuff ... (that crystal pendant that allowed the girl to float?!?) .. i saw those when i was a kid =P .. cool stuff

what is ghost in a shell, lain, and stuff about?
I remember thinking Ranma was goofy .. didnt like what I saw, and thought most anime was the same .. Probly led to me not liking anime very much. Naruto changed that.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 07:59 PM

I loved "last exile".

Miyazaki is a master; really great.

"Akira" stays on top of my favorites.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 08:41 PM

Miyazaki .. I think I've seen all of his stuff (up to spirited away) ... i think that's miyazaki ..

i remember watching totoro and that anime with the floating city and those robots .. and stuff ... (that crystal pendant that allowed the girl to float?!?) .. i saw those when i was a kid =P .. cool stuff

I remember thinking Ranma was goofy .. didnt like what I saw, and thought most anime was the same .. Probly led to me not liking anime very much. Naruto changed that.
Lain, from Amazon:

"In serial experiments lain, things get very weird very quickly, and they stay that way. A schoolgirl commits suicide, but several days later her classmates receive e-mail from the dead girl. One--an introverted 13-year-old called Lain--replies, and her correspondent claims not to be dead, but to have passed into the "wired world." Eventually, Lain must join her. What follows is a story that combines virtual-reality, nanotechnology, a host of other science fiction concepts, and a healthy dose of postmodern paranoia. It would be unfair to reveal much more about the plot, but the phrase "nothing is what it seems" applies to just about everything in this compelling anime."

I watched this short series with my brother, and I really enjoyed it. It gets very confusing only a few episodes through, and you may very well need to watch it again to understand some key points.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 11:34 PM

"Ghost In The Shell" is about a group of cyborg cops who are in a secret intelligence agency called "Section 9." The TV show called "Stand Alone Complex" has the same characters as the two movies, but is set in a different timeframe and therefore can be watched on its own. It's damn good.

EDIT for further clarificaion: GITS has 2 movies, 2 graphic novels, and 2 TV seasons. They share characters and names, but the movies are in a different 'world' from the manga and TV show. The manga and TV show share some ideas and events, but can be considered separate from each other for all practical purposes.
( Last edited by ReggieX; Mar 7, 2005 at 12:50 AM. )
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 11:36 PM

overall anime which would be my favorite right now, would probably have to be Konjiki no Gash Bell!! i can't think of another anime that combines humor, action, plot, and music (holy crap best ost ever) better than this one. maybe Samurai Champloo but its hard, they're both awesome.

favorite manga would most definitely be Berserk. god this is a masterpiece. Death Note is also pretty hardcore awesome. and then of course, theres Naruto and One Piece, Bleach but i probably shouldn't have to mention those.

and Eyeshield 21 is awesome, too many good mangas out there. Zetman, MAR, Black Cat, Yakitate Japan!!, Team Medical Dragon, 20th Century Boys, Mr Fullswing, Gintama and 666 Satan are some of the mangas i'm reading and they're all good.
( Last edited by fireside; Mar 6, 2005 at 11:47 PM. )

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 09:20 PM

Space opera
"Starship Operators" is about a group of cadets aboard a space battleship that take it over after their country surrenders, by selling the TV rights to a major network and turning their lives and battles into a reality show. Pretty cool so far.
http://www.geneon-ent.co.jp/rondorobe/anime/sso/

Giant robots
"Eureka 7" the character design and animation are a bit in the FLCL vein, which means it's pretty good for TV. From what I've gathered it's been licensed for North America already by Bandai, so an english version should be making its way here eventually, but who knows. Kid falls in love with a mecha pilot who's part of a group of surfing mecha pilots called Gekko State. And can you really go wrong with two characters named Jobs & Woz? http://www.eureka-prj.net/bios/gekkostate/08/

"JINKI:Extend" : girl spends most of her time building plastic robot models, but gets kidnapped and possibly forced against her will to become a mecha operator. Turns out she's a natural, but has to get past her own fears to make it work.
http://www.jinki.info/top.html

EDIT: now with more linky
( Last edited by ReggieX; Apr 26, 2005 at 11:13 AM. )

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 09:29 PM

Samurai Champloo is cool.

-Owl

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I gotta check out Shamploo soon.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2005, 04:11 AM

Champloo

-Owl

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 09:58 AM

Ghost in the Shell, without doubt.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2005, 10:07 AM

Innocence was damn good, I was too impatient. It's not out yet in Germany, so I had to download it. I plan on going to see it in the movies again, though.

It's rare that a second part is as good as the first one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 04:54 PM

naruto

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
naruto
There was a time when I wouldn't have believed that I'd ever second this opinion, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to concur after all. It starts off as a stupid little shounen fighter, but by the 9th episode or so it gets quite good, and if you skip 10-19 the first time you watch then the series will own your soul by the time Episode 30 rolls around.

My one piece of advice: skip episodes 10-19 on your first viewing, and go straight to 20. You can pick this arc up again later -nothing terribly important to the plot happens- but it's the weakest one in the series, to the point where many people give up before it gets good.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 05:30 PM

Hey I remember this thread!!

Since then a lot has changed. I stopped watching anime is one thing. I just simply lost interest. Funny how that works.

The good stuff is mainly old and European IMHO

“Building Better Worlds”

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 05:53 PM

I've got to say:

Shows:
Full Metal Alchemist
Outlaw Star

Movies:
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke

Haven't seen enough unfortunetly.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Hey I remember this thread!!

Since then a lot has changed. I stopped watching anime is one thing. I just simply lost interest. Funny how that works.
Funny, I started watching more, since a couple I was watching have ended, and it's so damn long between GITS:SAC2 fan releases.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 12:09 PM

Picked up Appleseed this week, somewhat apprehensively. Sure, the trailers looked slick, but I remember watching an undubbed boot of the first Appleseed over 15 years ago, and thought meh. Read some of the manga and thought double meh. Just watched it for the second time this morning and am floored by it! Yes, it still has the shallow and over used premise and storyline, just for escapist entertainment and gobs of cgi eye-candy, this movie is crack crack crack.

A very good show for non-anime types who want to start checking it out.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 14, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Picked up Appleseed this week, somewhat apprehensively. Sure, the trailers looked slick, but I remember watching an undubbed boot of the first Appleseed over 15 years ago, and thought meh. Read some of the manga and thought double meh. Just watched it for the second time this morning and am floored by it! Yes, it still has the shallow and over used premise and storyline, just for escapist entertainment and gobs of cgi eye-candy, this movie is crack crack crack.

A very good show for non-anime types who want to start checking it out.
I've had this saved on my Netflix queue for a while, and now I see there's a "Long Wait" for it. Bummer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2005, 02:35 PM

Good grief, I wonder if this is the longest-running thread in MacNN history...

Oh, since the link to that essay on the first page (from two years ago) is now broken, here's a mirror: http://waruiyatsu.com/learnJapanese/. There. Now I'm useful.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Good grief, I wonder if this is the longest-running thread in MacNN history...

Oh, since the link to that essay on the first page (from two years ago) is now broken, here's a mirror: http://waruiyatsu.com/learnJapanese/. There. Now I'm useful.
Nice, thanks a lot.

-Owl

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 14, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
I thought the manga was great and the first OVA was pretty bad. Also picked up the new DVD because I enjoyed it, and really want to check out all the "making of" stuff on disc 2.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2005, 03:41 AM

Like others have said, Samurai Champloo is sweet.

I loves it.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules