Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can you lock an application window to a particular screen?

Can you lock an application window to a particular screen?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2010, 04:13 PM

Hi,

I have a mac mini that I'm using as a media center running plex and itunes etc. The secondary screen is a projector that isn't always on while the primary screen is a 17" lcd mounted on the wall like a picture frame above the media gear.

I'm trying to find a way to lock a particular application (in this case iTunes) to only appear on the small screen. This way I can use it when the projector is off and I just want to put some music on. I've tried just dragging the window over there, but it doesn't always stay there and sometimes goes back to the projector.

I've been searching and googling and not found a way to do this so wondered if perhaps there was something like a command line hack that might work.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

ibook_steve
Feb 22, 2010, 11:28 AM

By "primary screen", do you mean that the Mac menu bar is on the 17"? If not, go to Displays prefences and drag the menu bar over in the Arrangement tab.

You could also simply enable video mirroring or use something like SwitchresX to disable the projector.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2010, 03:32 PM

here's an applescript that will gather windows on the main display. Not quite what you seek, but maybe still a good workaround.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
By "primary screen", do you mean that the Mac menu bar is on the 17"? If not, go to Displays prefences and drag the menu bar over in the Arrangement tab.

You could also simply enable video mirroring or use something like SwitchresX to disable the projector.

Steve
Generally the projector is the primary screen with the menu bar, as it needs to be that way for plex to operate full screen on it.

I thought I'd be able to set itunes to just open in the secondary screen so that I didn't need to rearrange things when the projector is off. Just realised I wrote that the wrong way round in the original question, sorry.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

ibook_steve
Feb 22, 2010, 07:56 PM

Then the simplest solution is to just use mirroring so the display is the same on the 17" and the projector. That way, you can still work as normal with the projector turned off.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghostshadow
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2010, 06:03 PM

You might also try FinderMinder Irradiated Labs It's a utility application (free ) that let's you select and make special parameters for finder window behaviors. I don't know if it'll help, but it's worth a shot.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2010, 05:41 AM

Have you tried Spaces to set-up the second monitor The Benefits of Dual Monitor Display - AppleMatters He also uses Spirited Away

Forum Links
Forum Rules