Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > fan size question (Quicksilver 2001)

fan size question (Quicksilver 2001)
MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Dec 19, 2004, 11:10 PM

how large is the fan that is in the cage under the PSU of the quicksilver 2001? I'm thinking about replacing it.

hell, what size is the processor fan also?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2004, 11:23 PM

Case fan is 120mm.

If you getting that CPU upgrade, you're gonna have to trash the CPU fan anyways. But I think it is 40 or 50mm.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MORT A POTTY  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2004, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Case fan is 120mm.

If you getting that CPU upgrade, you're gonna have to trash the CPU fan anyways. But I think it is 40 or 50mm.
I was thinking 120 also, but wanted to make sure it wasn't some odd size.

and I know this about the CPU fan, but I am just curious. I'll just check when I take it out I suppose.

I will definitely replace the case fan though. that one is kinda loud and doesn't move much air... a pretty cheap fan. I either want it to move some serious air or be pretty quiet. The current one does neither.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2004, 01:26 AM

Upon listening to my Digital Audio closely, I think I am more convinced that the PSU fan is the culprit, rather than the case fan.

I may end up tearing open my PSU and replacing the fan with one of the 80mm blue LEDs I have laying around to confirm.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MORT A POTTY  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2004, 01:51 AM

the PSU fan is definitely loud and i was considering doing the same thing also (it's worse on the quicksilver, as the PSU grille isn't lined up with the outer plastic case grille. there was something on XLR8yourmac.com quite some time ago about this exact thing, and the guy cut away the grille from the PSU and that alone improved things quite a bit he said.

but yeah, if you're gonna tear into it, might as well replace the fan with a quieter fan (and a prettier fan too

hey, you're from Tulsa too! odd.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 09:49 AM

i chopped the finger grills on my Quicksilver, inside and outside. It made the noise drop from being a higher pitch to a lower hum, still too loud for my liking!
The PSU fans are defo the problem ones, cause i can now stop the bigger one from spinning and that kills the bulk of the noise.
i just need the time to find to break it open and to replace/remove it and fit either a quieter one or a couple of small quiet fans.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 23, 2005, 04:04 PM

This is not a mod. It is only a mod if you modify a fan you purchase using a soldering iron. Please move this to the appropriate forum.

- Ca$h

MORT A POTTY  (op)
Senior User
Feb 23, 2005, 04:11 PM

this thread was dead, why the hell did you bring it back?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2005, 11:57 PM

Because he's an idiot.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules