Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Computer virus costs $20 million to fix

Computer virus costs $20 million to fix
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 01:54 AM

Virus Leads to $20 Million Scam

The saga began in August 2004 when Roger Davidson, 58 years old, a pianist and jazz composer who once won a Latin Grammy, took his computer to Datalink Computer Services in Mount Kisco, saying the machine had been infested with a virus. The owners of the company, Vickram Bedi, 36, and his girlfriend, Helga Invarsdottir, 39, became aware of Mr. Davidson's high profile and allegedly proceeded to convince him that he was the target of an assassination plot ordered by Polish priests affiliated with Opus Dei, a conservative Roman Catholic organization, authorities said.

When asked to remove the virus from the laptop, Mr. Bedi allegedly told Mr. Davidson that his computer had in fact been attacked with a virus so virulent that it also damaged Datalink's computers, according to prosecutors.

Mr. Bedi told Mr. Davidson that he had tracked the source of the virus to a remote village in Honduras and that Mr. Bedi's uncle, purportedly an officer in the Indian military, had traveled there in a military aircraft and retrieved the suspicious hard drive, prosecutors said.

In addition, Mr. Bedi told the victim that his uncle had uncovered an assassination plot against Mr. Davidson by Polish priests tied to Opus Dei, according to prosecutors.

So, is he insane, or just a frickin' moron? And the scammer should have quit while he was ahead.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2010, 10:11 AM

I think all the parties involved are a bit insane - the story reads like a Peter Sellers film.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I think all the parties involved are a bit insane - the story reads like a Peter Sellers film.
There were good Peter Sellers films? Ok, Dr Stranglelove and maybe The Pink Panther... and, umm, that's about it.

That's some funky stuff about the virus scam. It still shocks me to see how gullible some people are, though I guess it shouldn't.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 02:45 PM

I see potential for the next Get a Mac commercials.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules