Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1Ghz Powerbook just sitting here but cant open it

1Ghz Powerbook just sitting here but cant open it
fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 11:04 PM

I just bought a 1Ghz Powerbook and I am so excited. I sold my old 800 on ebay (I love ebay). I would open the new one now, but I just cant seem to do it. I have never bought anything Apple before a Macworld. Its like a rule or something. So, here it sits just begging me to open it. See, if I dont open it, the local store will take it back, but if I do open it, they wont. So it sits sits sits. Just wanted to rant.
Thanks
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

cowerd
Senior User
Dec 31, 2002, 11:46 PM

You gonna sit and stare at it for 4 days?
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 11:53 PM

That's ridiculous. There are vast amounts of reasons why you could open a computer and return it. They have given you a line of bull doo doo. If your local store doesn't except it (which has got to be somewhat illegal), then simply return it to Apple.
Having your TiBook sit in front of you like that is like having s*x and plugging ol' Willy's blowhole.
Your dogmatism sickens me my friend. Free Willy!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 12:10 AM

Apple generally doesn't allow returns even in cases where the machine is defective. So I don't think they will allow you to return it because something better was released or you changed your mind. That said, I doubt that there will be any new powerbooks, so it's probably not a problem to open it. But did you really have to buy the machine so close to macworld?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by fetopher:
I just bought a 1Ghz Powerbook and I am so excited. I sold my old 800 on ebay (I love ebay). I would open the new one now, but I just cant seem to do it. I have never bought anything Apple before a Macworld. Its like a rule or something. So, here it sits just begging me to open it. See, if I dont open it, the local store will take it back, but if I do open it, they wont. So it sits sits sits. Just wanted to rant.
Thanks
The temptation will be great indeed. May the force be with you!

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Apple generally doesn't allow returns even in cases where the machine is defective. So I don't think they will allow you to return it because something better was released or you changed your mind. That said, I doubt that there will be any new powerbooks, so it's probably not a problem to open it. But did you really have to buy the machine so close to macworld?
OK, let's get technical. How about a credit? I still can't believe that if I purchase an Apple product and am completely dissatisfied with my purchase (which is impossible anyway) that a company as consumer based as Apple would not do something to make me happy albeit a 'return' or 'credit'. I can see a Pawn shop holding you to your purchase, but not a bluechip company like Apple.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2003, 12:53 AM

People, open products typically can't be returned. That's pretty common. That's because once opened, THEY CANNOT BE RESOLD AT RETAIL. Would any of you preaching that the local store should take back the PB ever open a previously opened/previously used 'Book yourselves?

Didn't think so....

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 12:59 AM

John123, I think we have moved beyond simply returning the PB for the sake of fetophers claim of, 'well, if I see a better one at MacWorld...' to the instance where you had some serious issues with a major purchase like your new Mac and you simply made a poor decision to getting one.
Are you telling me that if my 85 year old Grandmother went in and bought a Mac, came home and opened it, found out she could not possibly use it, that Apple would refuse to give her money back?... didn't think so.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by dadder:
John123, I think we have moved beyond simply returning the PB for the sake of fetophers claim of, 'well, if I see a better one at MacWorld...' to the instance where you had some serious issues with a major purchase like your new Mac and you simply made a poor decision to getting one.
Are you telling me that if my 85 year old Grandmother went in and bought a Mac, came home and opened it, found out she could not possibly use it, that Apple would refuse to give her money back?... didn't think so.
They'll take it back. But it will cost you a 15% re-stocking fee. Says it right on the recept usually if it comes from Apple. Elite (ComputerWare), an Apple reseller accross the street from Apple in Cupertino, does the same thing.

Icruise is right, IMHO, regarding new PBs at MW. Very, very, very unlikely. The next generation PBs should be the next one you see, without a rev to the current line.

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 01:44 AM

I'm rediculous, I know. The reason I bought it was beacause I am leaving on a long business trip on the 9th and wouldnt have the time to pick it up and install everything after the 7th and before the 9th. Also, this was the last powerbook at the local store. I also wanted to cash in on the promo they were offering for memory which ended today. So I had my reasons. As far as MWSF, I know it is very unlikely, its just seems like waiting would be smarter. I heard once that Apple allows you a 10 day grace period where if something new was released you could upgrade for free. And the store I bought it at does the 15% restocking fee thing. Thats like $430. Ouch.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 01:57 AM

I'm rediculous, I know. The reason I bought it was beacause I am leaving on a long business trip on the 9th and wouldnt have the time to pick it up and install everything after the 7th and before the 9th. Also, this was the last powerbook at the local store. I also wanted to cash in on the promo they were offering for memory which ended today. So I had my reasons. As far as MWSF, I know it is very unlikely, its just seems like waiting would be smarter. I heard once that Apple allows you a 10 day grace period where if something new was released you could upgrade for free. And the store I bought it at does the 15% restocking fee thing. Thats like $430. Ouch.
At this point I can identify wity you fetopher. It would be bitter-sweet to play with that PB with even a slightest possiblility of an update.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2003, 03:32 AM

Too bad, cuz you're wrong. If your Grandmother didn't take the time or care to make an informed decision, then she will -- and should expect -- to face difficult returns, including restocking fees. She should also, regardless of her age, be familiar with the policies and procedures of the particular retailer that she chooses. It's really not that much to ask, and a retailer should not treat anyone's failure to become informed as a reason why said retailer should lose money.

Moreover, you made a fallacious distinction between "seeing a new model come out at MWSF" and "you had some serious issues with a major purchase like your new Mac and you simply made a poor decision to getting one." Those are one in the same. The *reason* why you made a poor decision is still one of personal preferences, tastes, and assessments of value. They are *not* issues of proper functionality from a technical point of view (such as receiving a unit with manufacturer's defects covered under warranty) or damage due to retailer or shipper neglect. So your distinction is a rather empty one.
( Last edited by John123; Jan 1, 2003 at 03:46 AM. )

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 03:39 AM

I didnt expect this much response. I should have posted a poll on what you all would do. It would be interesting to see the results in numbers.
Me

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 04:14 AM

I don't know why you would think that Apple is going to update the Power Book this quickly after the last update... Has it even been 3 months?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2003, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I don't know why you would think that Apple is going to update the Power Book this quickly after the last update... Has it even been 3 months?
It will be just a bit over 2 months (from introduction) at the MWSF keynote.

Edit: correction 3-->2
( Last edited by John123; Jan 1, 2003 at 05:42 AM. )

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 05:22 AM

I wouldnt expect a speed bump or really anything to do with performance. I guess all I was thinking was built in bluetooth or something minor like that. Also I've heard problems with the superdrive and sleep issues that I thought may be worked out. I know its soon, but remember the whole Powerbooks that had only dvd or cd burner then like 2 weeks later they released the combo drive. I dont want to be in that situation. Course its just sitting there and really wants to be openend. Arg.
Me

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 05:36 AM

Apple announced the latest 867MHz/1GHz revision on November 6th. That's two months and a day before Jobs' keynote at MWSF. Of course, the earliest shipments of the 1GHz model didn't reach the hands of users until the 14th or 15th of November, and many waited until the end of November for orders placed early.

fetopher, don't forget that there's no way the mythical announcement at MWSF would put a new PowerBook in your hands in time for the long trip you're planning. The whole thing's kind of lost on me, but I guess you have a real longing for Bluetooth or something. Good luck with the wait. Do you also enjoy having your significant other spank you and/or step on you in spiked heels?

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 06:34 AM

Oh come on now. I dont think that last comment was called for.

Happy New Year everyone!!!
Me

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 09:11 AM

Come on, open it up! What, do you think you're better than the rest of us? The new TiBooks were good enough for us, and most have less than that. What makes you think you deserve something better? Come on, be one of us. Open the box. Open the box. Open the box.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 09:13 AM

Why would you possibly think that ANYONE would agree with this? Just because you used the word grandmother? No one would think Apple would just let people take home computers and try them out and bring them back. What the heck are you thinking?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2003, 09:20 AM

*whispers to mr.tew*

Hey watch this, reverse psychology.

*finishes whispering*

Fine, don't open the box, don't, just think of it as a pretty box containing a barrel of ****.

*whispers to mr.tew again*

That'll do him.

Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2003, 10:19 AM

Reading this post was a waste of my time...

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 12:35 PM

Believe it or not, but I'm in a similar situation. I bought an 867 on Saturday, but haven't opened it. I bought it to replace my Lombard which I thought was dead, but I eventually discovered it was a bad lower memory slot that was giving me fits. Although my Lombard is most likely on its way out, it should get me through the progress notes and powerpoint grand round presentations I have to do for another few months.

I also bought from an Apple store and I so suggest patience before opening if you're still unsure. As I think you mentioned above, they charge quite the hefty restocking fee of 15% if opened (which would probably even be as small as breaking the seal on the box). Also keep in mind that you have only 10 days from date of purchase to return it.

Not opening my 867 worked out for me. I plan on returning it soon and will have another $2000 in my pocket. With the death of my Lombard on the horizon, I should have saved enough money by then to buy the higher end model. However, it does sound like you're holding off b/c of Macworld and the possibility of new powerbooks. In that case, I'd have to agree with other the other posters above that upgrades seem unlikely so soon after release of these models.

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 01:38 PM

Alright, my New Year's resolution is to open the darn thing.

Here goes...
Me

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2003, 01:42 PM

Oh...
And to Tiny-E, posting your post was a waste of your time so what's it really matter? Have fun!
Me

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2003, 06:35 PM

Find a friend or family member that you can trust, and tell them to put it away and not allow you to open it until about 3PM EST on Tuesday, January 7, 2003.

You know you will kick yourself if the goodies in the model make you drool.

I know the old arguments about "You can wait forever because there will always be something new.", or the popular "Buy when you need it, enjoy it and accept that there will always be new machines." However, this close to a MW - I say you wait because what the hell.

If they do come out with something new and you don't like it, chances are you can score a savings on the old model you were going to buy anyway - and if you do dig the new model well you'll be happier than a pig in **** - that is until the next revision comes out.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2003, 11:12 PM

Alright, my New Year's resolution is to open the darn thing.

Here goes...

Did you really open it?!!!!!!

Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2003, 11:36 PM

fetopher, if you wan to have fun, you should have just opened your fantastic ti in the first place instead of worrying about such matters.

I still love my 550 ti! Upgrades are upgrades, they WILL happen no matter what you do or don't do...

have "fun" with your new powerbook

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2003, 03:52 AM

Yep, I really did open it. And wow, its fast. The fan sure is loud, but I am very happy. Thanks for everyone's help. Im having fun!!!
Me

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2003, 03:57 AM

Kierkegaard would have been proud of you. Bravo.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2003, 11:17 AM

Apple Retail stores have a 10% restocking fee if opened. But you need to return it within 10 days unless otherwise given some break by a manager. So you'll just have to eat 300 bucks, but no big deal.

That actually worked out for people in this last go around, as they spent $3200 on an 800MHz, only to return it a couple of days later for a $320 restocking fee but only had to pay 2999 for a new machine, hence only a buck twenty difference. It's like they took out a rental for a week.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2003, 01:07 PM

Its 15% for the local Apple reseller here. But that is cool how that worked out for the last batch of people.
Me

kemph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2003, 08:29 PM

Hey, I ended up being screwed by the Loan people and have to wait on my Powerbook..if you want ship it this way. I'll have all the fun while you're letting it collect dust.

Jealous. SO! :c(
Matthew M. Kemph
www.kemph.com

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2003, 09:30 PM

lol...read the entire thread before you post! He already opened it!

Yep, I really did open it. And wow, its fast. The fan sure is loud, but I am very happy. Thanks for everyone's help. Im having fun!!!
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 06:10 AM

If it were me, I'd keep it in the box and just sleep. Sleep and sleep and sleep. Then when you're awake, go to the local Mac retailer and use their bandwidth. The go home and sleep. And sleep and sleep and sleep. Then wake up on Tuesday and watch the Keynote.

But that's just me. Since I am currently unemployed I can do that if I want.

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 12:22 PM

I like that just sleep idea. I mean just for general things in life, just sleeping sounds nice.
Me

kemph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 04:34 AM

Well...still...you can send it to me for a Christmas Present.

Any offers?

:c(

Switcher-wannabe. :c)
Matthew M. Kemph
www.kemph.com

freon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 05:11 PM

I ordered a 1GHz PB on the 31st and it's not here yet, but you can be sure I'll open it ASAP.
PBG4 1GHz 1GB RAM 60 GB HDD OS 10.2

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2003, 06:02 PM

Well... I gave in about 4 hours ago. I am almost 100% confident nothing new will be coming out at MWSF in 4 days.

So I purchased a new PowerBook G4 1 GHz with 2 batteries and overnight shipping. It will be here Tuesday.

Oh, and I did too take out a loan but it took about 10 minutes total to get it all set-up and ready, no delay in shipping or anything. I plan on paying it off though before the 180 days of same-as-cash period ends.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 12:56 AM

John123,
I think you've taken the fun out of debate and are just plain argumentative.
Originally posted by John123:
-- and should expect -- to face difficult returns, including restocking fees
My point wasn't that it was difficult, just possible.

you made a fallacious distinction between "seeing a new model come out at MWSF" and "you had some serious issues with a major purchase like your new Mac and you simply made a poor decision to getting one." Those are one in the same. The *reason* why you made a poor decision is still one of personal preferences, tastes, and assessments of value.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you partial credit on this one. Good point, but not entirely true. Consumers do and always will have the final say in products. If a company continually rejects the customer, it either means A.) they'll tank, because nobody will buy from such a unfriendly jerky company, or B.) the product they are putting out is too complicated for the average consumer on a large basis which means the product is not living up to it's advertised standards which means it has to be reengineered to be handled by the average Joe. I have to give Apple many kudos at their attempt to do it, but there is a long way to go to making their computer as easy to operate as your tv, phone, etc. They'll get there. You must remember John123 that not everyone is a computer geek like us, but yet computers are being used as a mass communication device these days. There are many people that simply want an email address (heaven forbid that's too complicated for some people) and need a computer to do it. If I was in that scenario, I would buy an Apple because of the way it's being advertised... simplicity. But I may take the computer home and find out that it is way beyond my capabilities. To think that all people are as intelligent as John123 is very nearsighted.
But it's been fun. Can we all go home now? Oh, and I'm telling my Grandmother on you!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2003, 11:20 AM

I can't see how Apple is gonna make some "minor" improvement to the current line, and then try to sell both the existing stock and the "minor improvement" stock at the same time, it would be a logisticaly fiasco! The fact is, there will be no new PB for at least 4-5 monts...then add 2 weeks to that for it to hit the shelves.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
I can't see how Apple is gonna make some "minor" improvement to the current line, and then try to sell both the existing stock and the "minor improvement" stock at the same time, it would be a logisticaly fiasco! The fact is, there will be no new PB for at least 4-5 monts...then add 2 weeks to that for it to hit the shelves.
Yeah, their improvements if any, will be in the OS or Desktop line or other funky accessories. There could be announcements made about the PowerBook, but no new models physically there ready to buy.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 10:16 PM

For myself and all the others here that misled you, I'd like to say a big, "Oops!" I hope you still love you TiGz, I know I do mine. Just think, you and I have the last Ti ever made. It's a collectors item!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 10:32 PM

What in the world makes you think it would be a "logistical nightmare"? Good grief, companies sell new products all the time with older ones still in the channel. Not only did they release new product, it's two brand new products - or a MAJOR improvement as opposed to a minor one.

I don't ask to flame or say "I told you so" (I did that in another thread!). I'm just curious what you think is so challenging about releasing new products? I mean granted lots of work goes into it, but it's a process that has been refined many, many times over. They aren'y revinventing the wheel here, just releasing new computers.

Originally posted by UnixMac:
( Last edited by iChristopher; Jan 7, 2003 at 11:23 PM. )

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 12:40 AM

Well... I guess I was dead wrong... Apple should never be under estimated..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

fetopher  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2003, 02:17 AM

Just took my old 1 Ghz to the local Apple store and they took it back and gave me a full refund. No restocking fees, no discount, nothing. $3,000 in my pocket to order the new 17" with. I love The Computer Store here in Portland, OR.
Me

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 04:39 AM

They took it back even though it was open box? What did you tell/ask them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules