Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > IBM says chip woes easing

IBM says chip woes easing
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 12, 2004, 03:32 PM

IBM says chip woes easing

In presentation materials for a conference call, IBM said that the rate of defects it is seeing from its 300-millimeter manufacturing lines is steadily declining and getting closer to the company's target.

"We are getting much closer to where we want to be," IBM said in its materials, which the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in preparation for a conference call scheduled for later Wednesday.

Big Blue reiterated that it is getting the expected number of good chips from its 200-millimeter lines but said that yields from the 300-millimeter lines, while improving, "are not yet where we want them to be."

Just in time for WWDC...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2004, 03:46 PM

Great news.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Stephen.S.
May 12, 2004, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure how good this news is since the G5 is made from 300mm wafers, and IBM says that while yields are improving, "are not yet where we want them to be."

In any case, an improvement is an improvement. Hopefully, Big Blue will have this ironed out in short order.

MrPopman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 08:12 PM

Those series of statements really doesn't tell you anything, except they are not ready to go into full scale production and you don't know when they will be. When they step up and say "we have reduced our defect rate to make it economical for full scale production" I'll be the first one to say Yipee! Until then the 750fx chips are going into the low volume XServes.
MrPopman - Anybody want to play a game of pinball?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Stephen.S.:
I'm not sure how good this news is since the G5 is made from 300mm wafers, and IBM says that while yields are improving, "are not yet where we want them to be."

In any case, an improvement is an improvement. Hopefully, Big Blue will have this ironed out in short order.
Agreed. An improvement is an improvement.
Originally posted by MrPopman:
Those series of statements really doesn't tell you anything, except they are not ready to go into full scale production and you don't know when they will be. When they step up and say "we have reduced our defect rate to make it economical for full scale production" I'll be the first one to say Yipee! Until then the 750fx chips are going into the low volume XServes.
You mean 970FX. The 750 is a G3.

digital_dreamer
May 12, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by MrPopman:
Snip...
Until then the 750fx chips are going into the low volume XServes.
I certainly hope not!

regards,
MAJ

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 10:12 PM

Great news. However, I doubt they would let the car out of the bag

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
I certainly hope not!
But they'd be so small and light and quiet!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2004, 08:17 AM

EETimes: IBM positive on IC yields, foundry demand

At present, the 300-mm fab in East Fishkill is about two-thirds equipped and running 350 wafer starts per day. About 50 percent of the company's production involves 130-nm technology.

During a presentation, IBM showed a chart describing the company's relative fault defects versus its target yields within the fab. According to the chart, IBM has lowered the delta in terms of defect rates over the last year and is close to its target yields in the plant. "Our yields are rapidly improving, especially in the last couple of months," Kelly said.

This is the graph they're talking about:

Of note however is the fact that it only talks about 130 nm parts. I wonder what the graph is like for the 90 nm 970FX however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules