Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lets Talk TIGER......

Lets Talk TIGER...... (Page 9)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Any removable disk (FW, USB, etc.) should be able to contain a user's ~/ and be selected with a single click (people plug in their disk, the login panel automatically lets them login to the attached account; of course admins could turn this on and off globally or selectively)
This must never be allowed, not even as an option. The inherent security risks are far too great.

At best, the most which can ever be allowed is for a user to manually register his user information with multiple machines, and then carry his homedir -but not his login information- between them. Computer security must trump interface convenience, every time, all the time. To do otherwise is to invite the same sorts of security exploits we currently face.
- AppleWorks 7 (included for free with Tiger) to be to Word what Keynote is to PowerPoint.
For free? Surely you jest; even Keynote isn't free. Also, keep in mind that AppleWorks deals with more than just Word; you also have to deal with Excel and Access, and then there's the whole issue of what to do with the Paint and Draw modules. Should Apple take on Adobe as well?
QT Player should also be able to play Windows media and Real media. I don't want WMP and RP bloat-ware on my Mac.
Legally impossible, unless you could somehow convince Microsoft and Real to allow their technologies to be played on a rival player. Not likely at all.
Mail needs to get an iTunes/Finder-like interface.
This one's actually a good idea. I'd like to see something like this myself. Heck; I might have to investigate the possibilities of this.
- An option to start X11 at boot time (not login time, but boot time!).
Not possible, because it's attached to a user. How would it know what user to boot as?
- Sheets should be enforced everywhere! The mix between sheets and dialogs is a PITA.
Sheets are not always appropriate, and so there has to be an option to use dialogs. As long as the option exists, it will be abused; this is a shame, but it's better to have The Right Tool For The Job available.
- Build a competitor to VirtualPC that actually works efficiently (also on the G5!) and bundle it for an additional $29 (w/o XP license of course).
Do you think that decent technology grows on trees or something? Get it through your head: good software takes time. You can develop it faster up to a point, but this would cost more than Apple could ever hope to recoup at that paltry price.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

leperkuhn
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by rickg1:

3. I wish the finder window would have a 'shelf'
like the one in NextStep. Moving and copying files
there was SOOOO much easier.

Rickg
Yes, especially since apple has decided we have enough screen space. It's extrememly awkward to move files around at 1024x768. ( i'm working on an older monitor).

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 05:08 PM

On that sort of note, I just wish that I could copy files between Finder windows by drag + cmd-` or even ctrl-F4.

I use browser view in Finder and usually have all windows opening in the same place at the same size (when I can get them to remember to!), and this always annoys me. I mean I can do it with cmd-tab, and I can do what I want using Expos�, but why oh why not cmd-`? To me that would be the most useful!

Zarafa
Forum Regular
May 26, 2004, 05:15 PM

Continuing in the "BSDism" theme, most of the BSDs have excellent Linux compatibility libraries. It would be great to see the same thing with Tiger. There are a lot of apps out there, commercial and otherwise, that are available for Linux/x86; although a compatibility library on OS X wouldn't enable those to run, it's probably far easier to convince authors to do the code clean-up and cross-compiling needed to support Linux/PPC than to have them write specifically for OS X. Especially since IBM will be pushing Linux on their p-series blades (utilizing the PPC 970).

On Tiger Server, I'd like to see "fine-grained capabilities" (reducing or eliminating the need for a "root" account), and some sort of friendlier 'systrace' (http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/systrace/) functionality.

And in addition to any native filesystem improvements doen by Apple, it would be great to see support for UFS2.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
I have had this problem mnay times when responding in MacNN forums - I think it's either the smilies or the banner ads - haven't been sure, but something, from time to time, causes safari to CHEW up proc cycles when replying to a MacNN post-
Could be the smilies. Animated GIFs?

It can't be the banners alone because Pith is blocking them.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 03:34 AM

Millenium, having a bad day? Lighten up.

Originally posted by Millennium:
At best, the most which can ever be allowed is for a user to manually register his user information with multiple machines, and then carry his homedir -but not his login information- between them.
I should rephrase. I meant the directory and not the login info. Basically I was thinking of a generalized home-on-iPod scheme. I wouldn't want the NetInfo data flying around either...

For free? Surely you jest; even Keynote isn't free.
Who said free? I didn't say it would have to be free. I'd pay $99 without giving it a second thought.

Also, keep in mind that AppleWorks deals with more than just Word; you also have to deal with Excel and Access,
Duh. Everybody knows that Office is more than Word. It just happens that FM is a better alternative than Access and Excel is IMHO just OK. So I'm worried about Word. I don't care about the rest.

and then there's the whole issue of what to do with the Paint and Draw modules. Should Apple take on Adobe as well?
There's no law against it. How about they just improve them and keep on going... Isn't that hard, is it?

This one's actually a good idea. I'd like to see something like this myself. Heck; I might have to investigate the possibilities of this.
Wow. You're sounding like a real pompous ass. Was that your intention?

Not possible, because it's attached to a user. How would it know what user to boot as?
Baloney. My Linux box runs X11 long before I log on as a user. I'm using the biggest hacked-together POS Linux distro here with an ancient XFree86. If this can do it, Apple can.

Do you think that decent technology grows on trees or something? Get it through your head: good software takes time. You can develop it faster up to a point, but this would cost more than Apple could ever hope to recoup at that paltry price.
Huh? Who said it can't take its time? Get a grip man. I don't care how long this stuff takes to implement. I just would like to see it one day. If it takes two years that's fine with me. This is just my personal wish list.

You, as a mod, need to chill before you post. Half of your replies attack stuff I (or anybody else here as a matter of fact) never said. Or should this thread convert to something like "Apple is perfect. Panther is perfect. There is nothing in the world they could do to make it better" ?
( Last edited by Simon; May 27, 2004 at 03:40 AM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 27, 2004, 03:46 AM

OS X doesn't 'boot a user', it boots first, then asks "so ok, who wants to use me?"
Aloha

proton
Senior User
May 27, 2004, 12:43 PM

Baloney. My Linux box runs X11 long before I log on as a user. I'm using the biggest hacked-together POS Linux distro here with an ancient XFree86. If this can do it, Apple can.[/B]
Apple's X11 is very different in how it runs to your standard Linux/Other Unix operating systems. Apple's X11 runs as the user who is using it for a start. It is an application so that it sits within an Aqua interface. You can't start something that is going to be connected to an Aqua interface for a specific user before that user has logged in and started the Aqua environment that Apple's X11 runs inside.

- proton

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by proton:
Apple's X11 is very different in how it runs to your standard Linux/Other Unix operating systems. Apple's X11 runs as the user who is using it for a start. It is an application so that it sits within an Aqua interface. You can't start something that is going to be connected to an Aqua interface for a specific user before that user has logged in and started the Aqua environment that Apple's X11 runs inside.
Sounds reasonable. Any chance they could change this in the future? Make X11 be loaded and ready at boot time as a part of the native Window Server for all users?

Not that everybody needs X11, but in the Unix world it's as good as a standard, so it would be nice if Apple could advertise this as a native application environment of OS X like they advertise Java as a native programming environment.

X11 apps are integrated so nicely in the meantime, it would be great if you basically would just double-click an X11 executable and run it as if were a Cocoa, Carbon or Java app. I would hope such a move would encourage developers to port more Unix apps to OS X.

iStudent 2003
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 05:16 PM

The one feature that I would love to see more than anything else would be built in Remote Desktop. That way I can see the problem that my parents are having visually, instead of having them describe it to me. I don�t need all of the features of Remote Desktop (such as installing an update on 100s of computers), I just need to login to one at a time.

The second feature I would like to see, real FTP. There are so many times when I don�t want to use an FTP client to upload files to a server or when I want to backup files it would be very nice to just FTP them to my other Mac.

And last, but not least, I know this would NEVER happen, but it sure would be cool to see Apple ditch Aqua and go with Looking Glass!

Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

Sounds reasonable. Any chance they could change this in the future? Make X11 be loaded and ready at boot time as a part of the native Window Server for all users?
What would be the benefit? The X server isn't going to be of any use until you're logged in, so why not just make X11.app a startup item if you always want it available?

Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by iStudent 2003:
And last, but not least, I know this would NEVER happen, but it sure would be cool to see Apple ditch Aqua and go with Looking Glass!
No need to ditch Aqua. Quartz Extreme has the architecture to easily handle effects like that, and I'll be surprised if we don't see something along those lines in Tiger.

Manthas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 08:30 PM

I think I saw somewhere that Tiger would contain an implementation of Linux. Has anyone else heard this?

cgc
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 11:34 AM

Anyone notice Java 1.5 is also code-named "Tiger?"

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Manthas:
I think I saw somewhere that Tiger would contain an implementation of Linux. Has anyone else heard this?
And what would be the point of that, Linux is a kernel...

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2004, 04:24 PM

Sure you don't mean Quartz? And what does Looking Glass have that can't be done in Quartz Extreme...

It's possible for a third party developer to write something exactly like that RIGHT NOW. Even without Tiger, for OS X.

Let's see, what other buzzwords can we talk about without knowing what they mean...
( Last edited by lngtones; May 28, 2004 at 04:33 PM. )

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2004, 04:16 PM

What is that awful singing going on in the background???

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 06:08 AM

Not that everybody needs X11, but in the Unix world it's as good as a standard, so it would be nice if Apple could advertise this as a native application environment of OS X like they advertise Java as a native programming environment.

X11 apps are integrated so nicely in the meantime, it would be great if you basically would just double-click an X11 executable and run it as if were a Cocoa, Carbon or Java app. I would hope such a move would encourage developers to port more Unix apps to OS X.
Not quite what you're looking for but useful nevertheless.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...2259&query=x11

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 31, 2004, 06:36 AM

I've just come up with something that I think would be nice: basically an extension on Expos� that works not just with windows but tabs, like in Safari - so you can see all of them and pick based on what you see, rather than the often not terribly informative titles or parts thereof.

Of course that tabbed interface is only in Safari at the moment, but maybe it could then be incorporated into other things....

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 10:37 PM

This must never be allowed, not even as an option. The inherent security risks are far too great.
Well then again, in order to do this, you'd have pysical access to the machine. Once again, no software security in the world could save you at this point.

mindwaves
Jun 1, 2004, 01:21 AM

I would love to have a tabbed Finder where I can "Open in Tabs." In additon to that, make them pop-up from the bottom of the window like OS 9.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 02:49 AM

I'm going to say this for the 20th time. 10.4 BETTER have one of the following:

Either 1. Smaller icon grid
or 2. an adjustable icon grid (icon spacing is AWFUL in 10.3)
Aloha

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
I would love to have a tabbed Finder where I can "Open in Tabs." In additon to that, make them pop-up from the bottom of the window like OS 9.
I like that.

But if Apple would extend spring-loading to minimized Finder windows in the dock we would already be there.

Wouldn't spring-loaded dock windows be a small enough feature to add it to 10.3.5 instead of having to wait for Tiger...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 10:20 AM

Something else that Tiger absolutely needs: Safari should be able to add the URL of a printed web page. There is no option to do so in 10.3.4's Safari.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by proton:
Apple's X11 is very different in how it runs to your standard Linux/Other Unix operating systems. Apple's X11 runs as the user who is using it for a start. It is an application so that it sits within an Aqua interface.
- proton
And it slows Aqua down, creates problems with Expose and I get alert beeps all the time for no reason. They need to fix that.

justinhale
Jun 2, 2004, 03:06 PM

i would like to be able to change my wallpaper. id also like a clock somewhere on my screen. it would also be neat if you could listen to music on the computer. i heard that itunes is cool, but my speakers volume is all the way down and i'm not sure how to turn it up? i've tried the up arrow several times but all it does is move my cursor. i also think they should change the name from tiger to TRYGRR, i think an advert for this new name could go, "you've tried windows, now TRYGRR.." kinda ferocious. apple should employ me, i have numerous ideas.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by justinhale:
i would like to be able to change my wallpaper. id also like a clock somewhere on my screen. it would also be neat if you could listen to music on the computer. i heard that itunes is cool, but my speakers volume is all the way down and i'm not sure how to turn it up? i've tried the up arrow several times but all it does is move my cursor. i also think they should change the name from tiger to TRYGRR, i think an advert for this new name could go, "you've tried windows, now TRYGRR.." kinda ferocious. apple should employ me, i have numerous ideas.
There are some great ideas there!
You should submit them to Apple feedback.

Well done!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 03:02 PM

i would like to be able to change my wallpaper.
You need to go to a furniture warehouse. They got a good selection there.

sinthetique
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2004, 03:33 PM

Here's my wish list for Tiger:

1. Calculator Extreme
2. Stickies Extreme
3. Clock Extreme with realistic second-ticking action
4. Console Extreme
5. Quartz Extreme to the Max
6. iTunes Music Store on Crack
7. Mouse double-click speed and keyboard key repeat rate Extreme
8. Expos� Extreme Psychic Edition

I mean come on, Apple. I've waited far too long for Stickies that occasionally peel off on their own and fall to the bottom of my screen. To get this effect I've been having to stick real life post-its to my monitor. If this isn't fixed by Tiger, I'm switching to Windows!

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by sinthetique:

I mean come on, Apple. I've waited far too long for Stickies that occasionally peel off on their own and fall to the bottom of my screen. To get this effect I've been having to stick real life post-its to my monitor. If this isn't fixed by Tiger, I'm switching to Windows!
No you won't. You're addicted to OSX. Repeat after me: You are addicted to OSX. You will buy a new Mac every time a new model comes out. You will pay $129 every year for an OS upgrade. You will pay premium prices for RAM. You will not moan about cheap graphic cards in top end Macs. You will believe the G5 is faster than light. You will use the term supercomputer to your PeeCee friends. You will call anyone who likes any part of Windows a troll. You will buy songs from ITMS for $1.50 each. You will buy a 30 inch Cinema Display. You will buy new Apple Care every year even after you sold your computer.

digital_dreamer
Jun 3, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by sinthetique:
Here's my wish list for Tiger:

1. Calculator Extreme
2. Stickies Extreme
3. Clock Extreme with realistic second-ticking action
4. Console Extreme
5. Quartz Extreme to the Max
6. iTunes Music Store on Crack
7. Mouse double-click speed and keyboard key repeat rate Extreme
8. Expos� Extreme Psychic Edition

I agree wholeheartedly!

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 07:27 PM

Mouse double-click speed and keyboard key repeat rate Extreme
No chance, Microsoft just patented that.

-- Jason

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
What is that awful singing going on in the background???
Screw the singing, this app is amazing.
There are many young rightwing members on these forums proud to support Bush no matter what. If Bush is re-elected I'd like to see the look on these member's faces when they are drafted. Now watch this drive.

PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 07:43 AM

Legally impossible, unless you could somehow convince Microsoft and Real to allow their technologies to be played on a rival player. Not likely at all.
Videolan seems to do fine here. I'd love to see Apple adopt some of the open source bits and pieces into their media layers. (...including codecs from divx and the likes)

Some of my wishlist:
Login via rendezvous would be great, and is such an obvoius idea. All the parts seems to be in place for this. (I assume that home on iPod is a given)

More rendezvous implementations such as sharing af adressbook and calenders (perhaps even mailfolders) would be perfect for small businesses. In general rendezvous is a great foundation for sharing (all kinds of resources) in a (small) server free environment.

Distributed backups over a rendezvous network could be a great feature to implement. split your backup over 8-9 other computers and have enough redundancy to retrieve it from 5. (...when burglers run off with all the powerbooks)

There's security considerations, but that's all within reach.

bygimis
Jun 4, 2004, 09:26 AM

This is technologically impossible; the two architectures are simply too different. There is a reason that the well-meaning but ultimately misguided Darwine project has not been updated in so long. There are plenty of emulators on the Mac; if you need Windows apps -and most people don't- then get one of these.
One thing that Apple *could* do, although it would be a big ask, is get involved with Wine and implement it as a native API alongside Carbon and Cocoa.

This *wouldn't* allow existing windows applications to run, but it *would* allow Windows Software developers to create a Mac OS X 'native' version with simply a recompile to PPC. Apple could ship an SDK with the required headers and convertion tools, as a plug in to MS VC++

This could allow a lot more software to run on the Mac, but *not* a lot more Mac software, as they would not conform to Mac HCI guidelines.

It would also introduce the fun of Windows DLL hell to Mac users!
Nobody made a greater mistake than
he who did nothing because he could only
do a little. Edmund Burke

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 03:39 PM

Or change it to TROOOOLL.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 03:43 PM

Apple just patended that second feature they're showing off.

And QE has been capable of all that for 2 years now.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2004, 03:49 PM

10.4 will be more 64bit aware and snappy�

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 04:24 PM

Looking Glass would completely alienate every non mac computer user. It's just a flashy piece of eye candy Sun threw together.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by bygimis:
One thing that Apple *could* do, although it would be a big ask, is get involved with Wine and implement it as a native API alongside Carbon and Cocoa.

This *wouldn't* allow existing windows applications to run, but it *would* allow Windows Software developers to create a Mac OS X 'native' version with simply a recompile to PPC. Apple could ship an SDK with the required headers and convertion tools, as a plug in to MS VC++

This could allow a lot more software to run on the Mac, but *not* a lot more Mac software, as they would not conform to Mac HCI guidelines.

It would also introduce the fun of Windows DLL hell to Mac users!
This must never happen.

The reason: I develop a program for windows that works very well. I think make a crap hack: Wine version that will work for Wine on Mac. (that's when I say "see, I develop for Mac and Windows" and we are stuck with low quality programs.)

weezie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 05:05 PM

Feature request: HTML file previews in the finder.

Seeing a giant dreamweaver icon after clicking on an html file in column view is not helpful. If webcore is so good, why not use it more? Windows has had this for years and I really miss it on the mac.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 05:14 PM

Apple needs to taget 2 groups - new users and professional users. The every day user has been taken care of already.

So, for the new user. Include a firewire or usb cable with every new mac, on the first startup have it offer to move files from an older computer. Include more visual tips, like in System 7 where it would circle the menu you need to click.

Include more tutorials - how to set up this, that. Make it so my grandma can set up her e-mail.

For the pro-
virtual desktops, gui front ends for unix programs such as rsync. group management, (not just at the user level).

I would love a shelf for moving / copying files. Adding the Go menu to the finder icon to save a few steps to open new applications.

wwdc is a developers conference, guarenteed xcode update. gui for CVS.

themes would be great but I don't expect it at all.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

sorry man, not illegal. you cannot sue someone for opening your file format. If that was the case it would be illegal to import a word document into open office.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

sorry man, not illegal. you cannot sue someone for opening your file format. If that was the case it would be illegal to import a word document into open office.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2004, 08:54 PM

Any Artists Out there? let's make something in Photoshop and post it right here, let everybody see how we imagine the new Mac OS X will be like, let's do it guys... lets make a screenshot of what we would like in Tiger... I know there's a lot of Mac users out there with talent that can make something impresive, let's see... bring it on! it will be funny to see what's in your mind! and Cool! maybe someone will be a little cose to reality... who knows!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

EMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2004, 02:20 AM

evidently you're not familiar with mplayer. It's a unix app which plays back wma 8 and 9, quicktime 5 and 6, realplayer, vob, and every other imaginable format and codec at full screen full frame rate.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MickS
Senior User
Jun 5, 2004, 05:23 AM

[BNot that everybody needs X11, but in the Unix world it's as good as a standard, so it would be nice if Apple could advertise this as a native application environment of OS X like they advertise Java as a native programming environment. [/B]
It's a standard in the Unix world because it was free. The major Unix vendors dropped their proprietary systems for X11 a long time ago in order to have a standard windowing system. It was cheaper for them to port X11 and tweak it than maintain their own windowing systems.

X11 is an optional install at present. The reason for this is that most users won't ever need to install it. It takes resources to run. Running it by default would mean one more process sitting there, stealing memory and clock-cycles just in case. This doesn't seem a good thing to me. More of a bloatware feature.

The widget sets etc for X11 and Carbon/Cocoa are very different. If Apple were to make it easy for companies to just do a quick recompile of say Linux software to have it run on OS X it would turn the Mac into a second rate system very quickly. IMO it's better to have native apps than poor X11 based ports.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2004, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by I WAS the One:
Any Artists Out there? let's make something in Photoshop and post it right here, let everybody see how we imagine the new Mac OS X will be like, let's do it guys... lets make a screenshot of what we would like in Tiger... I know there's a lot of Mac users out there with talent that can make something impresive, let's see... bring it on! it will be funny to see what's in your mind! and Cool! maybe someone will be a little cose to reality... who knows!
Here you go, i've posted this before in another forum.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I wonder which machines will slide off the compatibility list this time... perhaps all machines without built-in FW ports?
Probably any Mac that shipped with a G4.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macavity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2004, 03:40 PM

Wish list for Getting Apple into the corp market again via Tiger

Animated Help for new users to OSX

A concerted effort by Apple to get OSX to work with MS Exchange without having to buy Entourage. Drop over to Macwindows to see the problems they are facing.

Some work on VOIP integrated into an optional install of corporate iChat (lots of security, logging and port control features).Allow Macs to become the preferred VOIP control system for the VOIP hardware that will hit the market in 2005
Content filtering - perhaps as a paid-for update via Safari as per QT Pro
Major effort on QT as its falling behind.QT for Palm and Pocket PC. Also support for pocket PC- just buy out PocketMac and integrate.
Simple RAID - its a feature of Many PC boards now

What I expect to see anyway
Screenreader and other special ability interface features
Tidy up of Finder and inconsistancies (should not have to pay for this)
Better Disk repair and defrag tools
Home folder on the iPod (only on the new iPods)

Comment- I just don't see much that would make me want to fork out again. Even MS does not bring out a new version of Windows every year (probably wish they could though;-) What Apple should be looking to is what Longhorn will be trumpeting and also what they can transfer from the Open source community. I do expect that much effort will be spent on something that only a G5 can do. Perhaps a major speed bump for Dual-CPU Macs in Tiger so that they can push the G5 Pro-Macs as they are not selling well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules