Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > UPS Config

UPS Config
milfli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 09:05 PM

Hello I have been searching around for ScreenShots of the UPS Config Window from the Energy Saver Control Panel to help Dan out (From xvsxp.com) can somebody take a Screenshot of the options on this window (without third party software installed)

Also I hear there is a hidden UPS feature if you hold down the option or shift keys (it might be another Modifier)
( Last edited by milfli; Jul 14, 2004 at 10:46 PM. )
It just works so I don't have to
;-)

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by milfli:
Hello I have been searching around for ScreenShots of the UPS Config Window from the Energy Saver Control Panel to help Dan out (From xvsxp.com) can somebody take a Screenshot of the options on this window (without third party software installed)

Also I hear there is a hidden UPS feature if you hold down the option or shift keys (it might be another Modifier)
I've never heard of built-in configuration options for UPS devices in Mac OS X... sounds interesting.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I've never heard of built-in configuration options for UPS devices in Mac OS X... sounds interesting.
It just allows you to set the computer to go to sleep or shut down if the UPS's battery is low. It only shows up if you have a UPS connected to your computer via USB.

I would take a screenshot, but I had to unplug my UPS from my USB hub because I ran out of ports :/

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 12:33 AM

After reading this thread, I connected my APC Back-UPS Pro 500 CLR (the one they made for the fruit-colored iMacs) and lo and behold! A UPS option in the Energy Saver Preference.

Back in the OS 9 days, you had to have vendor supplied software to effectively use the UPS to automatically shut down your Mac in a controlled fashion after a power failure. Yet another sweet feature of OS X.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
After reading this thread, I connected my APC Back-UPS Pro 500 CLR (the one they made for the fruit-colored iMacs) and lo and behold! A UPS option in the Energy Saver Preference.

Back in the OS 9 days, you had to have vendor supplied software to effectively use the UPS to automatically shut down your Mac in a controlled fashion after a power failure. Yet another sweet feature of OS X.

So then, as to the original question... what options are there? Screenshots?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 01:46 AM

One is sufficient as there aren't many options:

http://homepage.mac.com/msuper69/Pan...toAlbum22.html

digital_dreamer
Jul 15, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
So then, as to the original question... what options are there? Screenshots?
Preference Panel:

Menubar:

Only thing I don't like about it is its inability to calculate the time. It just displays, "Unknown until full."
I've unplugged the AC power to the UPS and let it discharge until about 50%, and then recharged it. But, it still displays, "Unknown..."

regards,
MAJ

Edit: Beaten to the punch!
BTW, screenshots are no wider than 480 pixels, Tooki....

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
It just allows you to set the computer to go to sleep or shut down if the UPS's battery is low. It only shows up if you have a UPS connected to your computer via USB.
Right, I just never knew that there was even software for controlling these things from the Mac, let alone built-in software. I guess my UPS is just super old, I don't even think it has a USB port. I got it from my work's surplus pile. I don't need no stinkin' software.

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Actually it was 9.0.4 that introduced support for HID-compliant USB UPSes. MGE, for example, never wrote any Mac software for their UPSes, because they fully support HID, so 9.0.4 and later (and then 10.1.something, I think) support them out of the box.

tooki
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 15, 2004 at 02:01 PM. )

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 02:12 PM

What does it have listed under the Options and Sleep Tab is that specific for the UPS as in different options than without ups?
( Last edited by milfli; Jul 15, 2004 at 02:18 PM. )
;-)

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:

I would take a screenshot, but I had to unplug my UPS from my USB hub because I ran out of ports :/
If your using a powered USB hub you might want to rethink it because when power goes out your USB hub won't have enuff power for the signal to get to the Computer and blam instant shutdown...depends on the hub too my hub can act as non powered or powered and shuts off power to ports that take to much power when unpowered

YMMV
;-)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 15, 2004, 02:55 PM

Every USB hub I've seen works unpowered. No bus-powered USB devices will work, but a UPS isn't going to be bus-powered!

Besides, you'd have plugged the USB hub into the UPS, so that it remains powered when the lights go off! (That way, any bus-powered drives, like zip or thumb drives, won't get corrupted.)

tooki

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 03:12 PM

Just making sure you were not setting your self up for a big hurt is all...seems like you are good to go...
;-)

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 09:05 PM

Pity I have to use 3rd party software on my Mac for the large machine room UPS here, and administer it (even on the local Mac) through a web browser. Is there any standard for comminicating with a large shared UPS over TCP/IP?

It would be nice to have that built into the OS too, but I doubt it exists.

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 10:20 PM

Pity I have to use 3rd party software on my Mac for the large machine room UPS here, and administer it (even on the local Mac) through a web browser. Is there any standard for comminicating with a large shared UPS over TCP/IP?

Some have Rendevous support not sure which ones though but basically they appear in safari under the rendevous menu if I remember right...
;-)

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by milfli:
Some have Rendevous support not sure which ones though but basically they appear in safari under the rendevous menu if I remember right...
Hey, now that's a nice idea! Pity ours in on a different subnet. I doubt it uses Rendezvous anyway, as I've never seen any reference to it (or to ZeroConf) in it's settings or documentation.

In any case, this would still require third party software for automatic shutdown configuration, if it's not available in System Preferences.

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2004, 10:42 PM

Okay when you have a UPS low on battery does the Icon turn red like it does with a laptop?

Also does it come up with the low battery screen like it does for laptops?
;-)

utidjian
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 08:15 AM

Or just build it using: http://www.networkupstools.org/

We use it for a very large number of servers of all types (Sun, SGI, IBM, Dell/Linux, Mac OS X). It really isn't meant for standalone desktop usage but you can use it that way.
-DU-...etc...

milfli  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 04:58 PM

Okay when you have a UPS low on battery does the Icon turn red like it does with a laptop?

Also does it come up with the low battery screen like it does for laptops?

Bump...

Any Answers out there?
;-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules