Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > combining two iMovies into One iMovie

combining two iMovies into One iMovie
rotuts
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:12 PM

hello

sorry for so trivial a question

I have two iMovie files from home movies. Id like to combine them into one lartge iMovie file then work with that.

Im very new to iMovie and have not done this. I know that the program is very particular to where things are in its files, and that the "clips" in each are named the same clip 1, etc so I cna't just drag the second to the first.

how do Icombine with iMovie?

do I rename the files in the second and then move them over?

say movie one is clip 1 , 2 , 3 etv then rename the other 4, 5, 6?

thanks rotut

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by rotuts:
hello

sorry for so trivial a question

I have two iMovie files from home movies. Id like to combine them into one lartge iMovie file then work with that.

Im very new to iMovie and have not done this. I know that the program is very particular to where things are in its files, and that the "clips" in each are named the same clip 1, etc so I cna't just drag the second to the first.

how do Icombine with iMovie?

do I rename the files in the second and then move them over?

say movie one is clip 1 , 2 , 3 etv then rename the other 4, 5, 6?

thanks rotut
Yes. You can rename the files and move them...I have done what you are proposing to do.

Matt

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by MacMatt:
Yes. You can rename the files and move them..
Or you can even just let iMovie import them, and it will rename clips that have conflicting names (i.e. if you have two clips named "Clip 1" it will name the second one "Clip 1 1" or something like that. Better to do what you say though, up front, to cut down on confusion.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:39 AM

thanks for the help.

Ive tried all of these. importing takes about 3 min/c;ip

renameing in the second ( a number larger than the last in the first movie) and then draging takes no time at all, the iMovie (first) asks if youi want to put them in the line, and yes takes no time.

so0 renaming carefully is very fast.

thanks rotut

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 09:52 PM

I've always done the importing option, myself, and it works well. Also works if you fill up an hour miniDV tape over the course of many weeks. Load all the various clips into one project, and then create new projects as needed, importing the clips out of the original project. Clear as mud, I'm sure. But it saves time looking for clips. You know the name of the 'master' project, and then you go into that folder and grab the clips you need.

Side note. I had a somewhat interesting iMovie issue. I had named a project 'new', and subsequently, if I choose 'create new project', I'd get an alert notifying me that 'new' already existed. It didn't matter what I named the new project, alert every time. 'A project named New already exists' and then iMovie would promptly go down in flames. Took me a while to make the connection, because I had forgotten that I had named a project 'new.' Just had to go in a rename the associated files, and everything was good as new.

So don't do that.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules