Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Of all the nit picky things to be wrong with a refurb....

Of all the nit picky things to be wrong with a refurb....
jasonv1
Sep 21, 2004, 02:50 PM

On day 4 of ownership I cracked my 1.8 dually to add memory.

One of the freaking memory retainer clips is missing! What frustrates me most is that it will requires a logic board to fix, and I really didn't want to get it torn apart at this point.

At least it is fine functionality wise...

Jason
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:42 PM

Wipe it/Reinitialize it, and return it. If the clip was missing and it's only four days old, you are entitled to a new machine.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

jasonv1  (op)
Sep 21, 2004, 10:03 PM

What happens after that?

Do I just buy a different one? or is it up to me basically?

Jason
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 03:32 PM

If you don't want to return it right now...

I don't believe they are used to hold the ram in but insted to eject it. I've had a couple PCs missing those clips I added ram to. It dosn't really cause a problem ejecting it ether, just use the other to pop the ram out of the socket and pull it out.

I would have it fixed though, but it should still work.

bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2004, 05:39 PM

I've had so many problems with my refurb dualie 1.8... including going through 4 motherboards before finally just telling them to take it back. Don't take any crap from them. You paid a ton of money for an old computer, but you paid it because

a) it was supposed to be in great condition
b) you needed the computer

It's been a month for me, more or less without either my computer I paid for or the money I spent on it. Perhaps you'll get lucky, but from what I've seen, Apple doesn't have a single working replacement motherboard in the entire company. You don't want to be in the situation I'm in, and you don't want to support Apple's low QA by accepting a faulty refurb. Besides... what else might be wrong with it that you haven't found yet? WIll you find out before your warranty expires?

jasonv1  (op)
Sep 22, 2004, 08:59 PM

It is on its way back to Apple (with a replacement being shipped overnight as soon as Apple sees that it is on the way back), but it did take about 90 minutes and 4 phone calls.

Call 1) Apple support - "You need to call that Apple store so they can arrange the return/ship out a new unit"

Call 2) Apple store - "You need to call back Apple support and have them tag the machine as "DOA" so we can setup the return / ship out the new PowerMac"

Call 3) Apple support - "Sorry, the machine isn't really DOA, all we can do is repair it"

Call 4) Apple store - "Sorry about the confusion, we will arrange a Fedex tag and ship you a replacement unit as soon as your old one shows up in the Fedex system to confirm it is on its way back. The person in step 2 should have never sent you back to support, they should have done this in the first place."

I did explain to the step 3 and 4 people that if it were anything but a logic board or processor (basically any of the "customer replaceable parts") I would have them ship me one out. I just didn't want someone pulling the logic board on a Mac that was less than 100 hours old. The lady from call 3 said it didn't matter, but the guy from call 4 was completely understanding.

I wish it wouldn't have taken 4 calls, but I consider myself happy nonetheless. Of course I still feel that this problem should have been caught before it shipped, but what are you going to do. It looks like it originally had more memory, as ass the unused memory clips were in the "open" position. Whomever removed that memory (either the first owner or Apple) probably got a little overzealous.

Hopefully by Saturday afternoon I will be typing these posts in OSX again! They are overnighting it so I figure I have a shot.

Jason

Originally posted by Turnpike:
I've had so many problems with my refurb dualie 1.8... including going through 4 motherboards before finally just telling them to take it back. Don't take any crap from them. You paid a ton of money for an old computer, but you paid it because

a) it was supposed to be in great condition
b) you needed the computer

It's been a month for me, more or less without either my computer I paid for or the money I spent on it. Perhaps you'll get lucky, but from what I've seen, Apple doesn't have a single working replacement motherboard in the entire company. You don't want to be in the situation I'm in, and you don't want to support Apple's low QA by accepting a faulty refurb. Besides... what else might be wrong with it that you haven't found yet? WIll you find out before your warranty expires?

jasonv1  (op)
Sep 22, 2004, 09:02 PM

I agree that the problem could be considered "minor," but I just can't justify it having just shelled out $1700.

Since I will eventually eBay the machine (after a few years anyway) I need it to be perfect. Mac buyers are far more detail oriented (my experience after selling 6-7 of them) that I want the unit as "perfect" as possible.

Jason

Originally posted by bartman00:
If you don't want to return it right now...

I don't believe they are used to hold the ram in but insted to eject it. I've had a couple PCs missing those clips I added ram to. It dosn't really cause a problem ejecting it ether, just use the other to pop the ram out of the socket and pull it out.

I would have it fixed though, but it should still work.

bart

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2004, 11:55 PM

Totally agree, it just sounded like you had stuff you needed to get done first.
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Forum Links
Forum Rules