Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > QuarkXPress and "File not found" error

QuarkXPress and "File not found" error
digital_dreamer
Dec 26, 2004, 03:51 AM

Over time, I've repeatedly run into the "File not found" error when attempting to "Get Picture" in QuarkXPress. After selecting the file in the open dialog, this is the error that would crop up.

Sometimes, after printing, we will find that a image only prints the proxy, so we conclude the link is missing. However, that "File not found" error will also show up if you bring up the "Subscribe" box (double-click on picture with content tool). The file will show as missing in the "Usage" dialog, although it is clearly there. Attempting to "Update" or relink will bring up same error box.

I used to think it was a file permissions issue, but doing a get info reveals nothing amiss. In fact, simply quitting QuarkXPress and relaunching usually fixes the problem. At other times, moving the "problem" file to another directory will take care of the issue. File name length is also suspect, as I've had to relink files because QuarkXPress appears to truncate the name.

Can anyone shed some light on this? It ONLY affects QuarkXPress, but it gets annoying for some of the composition workers here at the daily paper.

My recent move to QuarkXPress 6 on two machine has been less than favorable. I've run into the "File not found" issue only once, but it was because a file name actually contained an odd font in one character. (it was a pdf that was emailed to us.)

regards,
MAJ

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2005, 03:36 PM

Are you migrating legacy Quark files to 6.5?
Are you running 6.5?

sounds like a really tedious workflow you are stuck in and I can't say I've seen it but I have had loads of issues getting those Q4 files to play nice in Q6.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 07:53 AM

Hi digital_dreamer,

If you still have the older Quark installed, while in QX6, save back to QX5. Start QX5 and reopen. If "file not found" shows up, then the picture is in a format not recognized, renamed, or has been moved to another folder. If there is no error, then it is a QX6 issue. Another test, create a new doc in either version, create a picture window and manually "get picture" to see if the error occurs.

W2

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
Over time, I've repeatedly run into the "File not found" error when attempting to "Get Picture" in QuarkXPress. After selecting the file in the open dialog, this is the error that would crop up.

Sometimes, after printing, we will find that a image only prints the proxy, so we conclude the link is missing. However, that "File not found" error will also show up if you bring up the "Subscribe" box (double-click on picture with content tool). The file will show as missing in the "Usage" dialog, although it is clearly there. Attempting to "Update" or relink will bring up same error box.

I used to think it was a file permissions issue, but doing a get info reveals nothing amiss. In fact, simply quitting QuarkXPress and relaunching usually fixes the problem. At other times, moving the "problem" file to another directory will take care of the issue. File name length is also suspect, as I've had to relink files because QuarkXPress appears to truncate the name.

Can anyone shed some light on this? It ONLY affects QuarkXPress, but it gets annoying for some of the composition workers here at the daily paper.

My recent move to QuarkXPress 6 on two machine has been less than favorable. I've run into the "File not found" issue only once, but it was because a file name actually contained an odd font in one character. (it was a pdf that was emailed to us.)

regards,
MAJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules