Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Picture Thread

Mac Mini Picture Thread (Page 2)
pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 07:44 PM

if I was to buy this how would i get 1GB ram in it without spending a fortune? I might be able to live with 768 but if it only has one slot I can only have 512 which isn't enough to have a few graphics applications open and used at the same time.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

zed57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by pantalaimon:
if I was to buy this how would i get 1GB ram in it without spending a fortune? I might be able to live with 768 but if it only has one slot I can only have 512 which isn't enough to have a few graphics applications open and used at the same time.
I wonder if it has a wall wart/power brick, or just a cable? Would make the portability factor pretty awesome if it was a cable! Did the cube have just a cable?

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by zed57:
I wonder if it has a wall wart/power brick, or just a cable? Would make the portability factor pretty awesome if it was a cable! Did the cube have just a cable?
The Cube has a HUGE brick. It had to keep the power supply separate to reduce heat. Also, the brick can power a Cinema Display, which no doubt accounts for some of its size.

-S

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 08:24 PM

You really think Apple is going to lose sales over the keyboard and mouse? They aren't trying to convert hobos and homeless people to Mac. If you think $600 is too much for a computer that runs the Mac OS, then Apple doesn't want you. Long-term they want to make these people iMac, PowerBook, and PowerMac owners - not lifelong Minicrap Mac users. What do you think the margins are on those stupid little things? Look at the big picture here...

I remember when the original iPod came out, people were mocking Apple all over these forums for the price. They said nobody would EVER pay that much for a music player, perhaps a few die hard Apple fans - but not enough to sustain the product. Well, the rest is history. So if they will pay $500+ for a "music player", maybe - just maybe they will cough up $600 for a fully functional Macintosh running OS X???

Originally posted by C.A.S.:
Apple once again shoots themselves in the foot...

Look at it this way...A PC user wants to switch to the Mac Mini and goes to the Apple store and is told that the mini is "under $500"..GREAT!!! But wait there's more...since your PC uses a PS2 keyboard and mouse you need to shell out another $50-75 for a new keyboard and mouse. "But wait, I already have a keyboard/mouse..." But this is a Mac and it won't work with a PS2 KB/Mouse...

So your "under $500" computer is now closer to $600. Even the cheapest Dell comes with a KB and mouse.

Big mistake Apple. You just lost 80-90% of all PC switchers that wanted a Mac under $500.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by ChadC:

Guess I'll just have to wait till someone craps one open and figures out a way to put in some other card!
Yeah, maybe if they cut a hole in the case and let the video card stick out the side.

BUT seriously... the mobo probably has the video integrated. I doubt a video card upgrade will ever be possible unless you are an engineer and even then it's probably unlikely.

JMII
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 08:46 PM

I'm just amazed at it's size... right now the phone I have sitting on my desk here at work is BIGGER then this mini-me Mac!

I already know some switchers that are intrested in this Mac due to it's size and price point. These people already have mice, keyboards and monitors so it looks like Apple had the right idea by not including those items.

Also I'd guess most people don't upgrade their video cards that much... especially your average home users / non-gamers. At this price point you might as well but another Mac mini a year from now when Apple introduces the A/V edition with 5.1 digital out, a better graphics system, larger HD and includes an wireless remote for DVD / iTunes playback for only $599 (or less considering the way technology moves!)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Sparkletron:
The Cube has a HUGE brick. It had to keep the power supply separate to reduce heat. Also, the brick can power a Cinema Display, which no doubt accounts for some of its size.

-S
That "Brick" made a great foot warmer!
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 08:50 PM

I personally have 3 friends who would have NEVER considered a mac before (they all liked them, but didn't like the integrated monitor with the integrated large price) that are clamoring for this thing.

Maybe Apple's got another hit on their hands.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 09:11 PM

Where's my ruler?! I wonder if this would sit right under my 'old' 23" cinema display... I could use a KVM between Mac mini and my MDD 1.25Dual G4 as a second mac to work on video or ... well.. whatever else... I too would like to have a bigger HD, better Video card... sigh...
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

tigas
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 09:16 PM

Count me in, I've been waiting for the small consumer mac with no display for ages. Now get me a fully expandable tower (4 hard disks, 5 slots, 2 5.25 drive bays) and I'll be in Apple heaven.

Mind you, my only Apple machine is a Pismo, and I'm only buying a new portable if this one dies before it's time. I just don't like the new line very much.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Yeah, maybe if they cut a hole in the case and let the video card stick out the side.

BUT seriously... the mobo probably has the video integrated. I doubt a video card upgrade will ever be possible unless you are an engineer and even then it's probably unlikely.
Agreed, the bus probably only supports 32 megs of vram even if you put in a chip with more. The only possible upgrade path would be a pc 9250 because the bus probably only supports very similar chips. It would probably run on the same drivers though. the best bet would be to pop on liquid cooling for the graphics chip and overclock to insane speeds.
Originally posted by MikeD:
Where's my ruler?! I wonder if this would sit right under my 'old' 23" cinema display... I could use a KVM between Mac mini and my MDD 1.25Dual G4 as a second mac to work on video or ... well.. whatever else... I too would like to have a bigger HD, better Video card... sigh...
That's not an upgrade for you, just pop in a new hard drive and video card.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; Jan 11, 2005 at 09:34 PM. )

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 09:31 PM

You really think Apple is going to lose sales over the keyboard and mouse? They aren't trying to convert hobos and homeless people to Mac. If you think $600 is too much for a computer that runs the Mac OS, then Apple doesn't want you. Long-term they want to make these people iMac, PowerBook, and PowerMac owners - not lifelong Minicrap Mac users. What do you think the margins are on those stupid little things? Look at the big picture here...
All I am trying to say is that this is the first PC/Mac that has not come with a KB/Mouse and people are going to complain when they have to spend for something that they used to get for free. The only reason people liked the iPod was because they never had to buy anything else for it (unless you didn't have a computer )...the PS2 adapter is not an option since they are very hard to come buy at most stores. I stopped by the Apple store here in town and they did not have any. Fry's electronics also did not have any and when I asked they told me that they usually come for free with every computer (PC) so there is never much demand for them.

The whole point of switching is to make life easier, not having to buy three things to make your computer complete.

Other than that I think the Mini Mac (let's just call it that) is a great cheap Mac.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2005, 09:41 PM

All I am trying to say is that this is the first PC/Mac that has not come with a KB/Mouse and people are going to complain when they have to spend for something that they used to get for free.
But it's not even that. From the late 80's to the mid-90's, Apple only included keyboards and mice with their consumer machines. If you bought, say, a Power Mac, you bought an ADB keyboard separately.

Many high-end PCs were the same.

So you're absolutely dead wrong that this is something new or bizarre.

tooki

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 09:49 PM

i want one. 'nuff said.
iamwhor3hay

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
But it's not even that. From the late 80's to the mid-90's, Apple only included keyboards and mice with their consumer machines. If you bought, say, a Power Mac, you bought an ADB keyboard separately.

Many high-end PCs were the same.

So you're absolutely dead wrong that this is something new or bizarre.

tooki
I have NEVER bought an Apple that did not come with a KB/Mouse...I have owned all the way from 9600's (Gawd I loved all those PCI slots), 6500's (awfull towers), Mac II's, IIfx's, bunch of Quadras, couple of LC's, and even the TV models...all of them came with a mouse/KB.

I don't know about PC's since I have never bought a complete one...I always build so I still have the original one.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2005, 10:04 PM

so is there an external power brick? i was checking out the quicktime VR and noticed a few large bricks.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:14 PM

I think the keyboard/mouse thing is somewhat moot... if you already have a set, great. If not, Apple will sell you a $58 mouse/keyboard combo, or you can run out and get a cheap one yourself. While $500 PC purchasers do count their pennies, they probably aren't that worried about it.

And if I remember correctly, people griped about the iMac G3 not having removable storage, but it became one of the most popular Mac models ever. And it cost more than twice as much with a 15" CRT stuck to it!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by eatinwokout:
so is there an external power brick? i was checking out the quicktime VR and noticed a few large bricks.
Yeah, there's an external brick. However, I'd much rather have the PSU down near the floor than expanding the size of an otherwise very small computer.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 10:29 PM

My 2 cents: Why is the power button on the back? Seeing this is aimed at monitor-owning PC users, they're unlikely to have Apple monitors with the convenient power buttons. So you're going to have grope behind it every time to turn it on/wake it up. Doesn't seem too smart. Same for the ports really, as without a handy Apple-esque USB hub keyboard, they're not very accessible.

I also notice a lack of Apple's well-used "no power brick" line... sure it's a nice compact unit, but that's a fair size power supply dangling off the back on the QTVR!

I think it's a beautiful piece of kit, and expect it'll sell well (I hope it does!) but it just shows how the overall Mac experience diminishes when Apple relinquishes control over the whole package. Fingers crossed the Mini experience will be good enough to encourage users to invest in the Apple accessories to complete the picture, as opposed to bad enough to kill off the chance of a succesful Switch.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 10:30 PM

"Does the graphics card have enough juice to run Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator?"

Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign are more ram hogs than a video ones although a 64 meg card option would have been nice. I wouldn't recommend one for print production but for web design it should be great.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Jonathan-Tanya:
but they will lose sales for not having a keyboard and mouse.

The dummies of the world will find a computer with the keyboard and mouse to be a better value.
Anybody that can't comprehend an $8 PS2 -> USB converter is probably going to get scammed by a salesman at an electronics store into buying some overpriced PC along with a bunch of overpriced cables and accessories, long before the thought of buying a Mac enters their head.

Steve lowered the barrier to switching drastically. He didn't set it on the ground, or dig a hole and bury it.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:41 PM

the PS2 adapter is not an option since they are very hard to come buy at most stores.
You can get them at radio shack, target, other places online for $2 to $8, it really is a moot point.
i look in your general direction

C.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
You can get them at radio shack, target, other places online for $2 to $8, it really is a moot point.
But that's the point...you have someone that is a completely computer idiot that just plopped down $500 for a MiniMac and gets it home only to find out that they have to go either back out and hunt down a ps2-USB adapter (if they even know what that is) or they must sit down and order one online (if they have access to the internet since they can't work their shinny new MiniMac. They thought that all they had to do was plug in their old KB/Mouse just like they did with their old Dell Celeron that they bought three years ago and they wanted to switch to a Mac.

It comes down to this...the MiniMac was designed and will be marketed to the lowest commom denominator...people that are competely clueless about computers. They just want to open the box and get it going...that is why the original imac was so perfect...remember their ads??? Three steps...open the box, plug it in, play. If they had kept the Mini Mac to the same principle then you would have a real winner.

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 11:09 PM

What makes you think all these potential Mini users are computer idiots? Those interested in a Mini are quite likely to have an interest in computers in the first place - else I doubt they'd be even slightly interested in Macs. And all the technophobes that I know are well aware of their lack of knowledge, and seem to check things out more than adequately.

I see what you're saying, i just think your concerns are exaggerated.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 11:12 PM

Well, if they're not going to include the keyboard/mouse, they should at least include an adapter. It would cost Apple like $0.25, if that much?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by superblue:
My 2 cents: Why is the power button on the back? Seeing this is aimed at monitor-owning PC users, they're unlikely to have Apple monitors with the convenient power buttons. So you're going to have grope behind it every time to turn it on/wake it up. Doesn't seem too smart. Same for the ports really, as without a handy Apple-esque USB hub keyboard, they're not very accessible.
This an Apple product. Not some generic, same as the other guy, let's do the same thing, why change it, cheap philosophy.

You get Apple quality at a PC price point.

I raise your 2 cents by a nickel.

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 11:41 PM

Simple solution - if you want a mouse/keyboard, buy from MacMall - Free with mini Mac order.

Problem solved.

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by jamesl:
Would this mac be suitable for doing video editing on, in either iMovie or even Final Cut Express?
Sure. If I can do it on my g4/800 iMac, I would imagine iMovie would fly on this baby.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 11:59 PM

Apple once again shoots themselves in the foot...

Look at it this way...A PC user wants to switch to the Mac Mini and goes to the Apple store and is told that the mini is "under $500"..GREAT!!! But wait there's more...since your PC uses a PS2 keyboard and mouse you need to shell out another $50-75 for a new keyboard and mouse. "But wait, I already have a keyboard/mouse..." But this is a Mac and it won't work with a PS2 KB/Mouse...

So your "under $500" computer is now closer to $600. Even the cheapest Dell comes with a KB and mouse.

Big mistake Apple. You just lost 80-90% of all PC switchers that wanted a Mac under $500.
Umm, Yeah, I don't think this is a anywhere near right.
( Last edited by slider; Jan 12, 2005 at 12:13 AM. )

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
This an Apple product. Not some generic, same as the other guy, let's do the same thing, why change it, cheap philosophy.
Sorry, have I been misinterpreting Apple's design philosophy all these years? I was under the impression that the "Think" in "Think Different" carried as much weight as the "Different". Anyone who justifies a design on the grounds of it being "different" alone is asking for trouble.

Apple's great designs don't evolve out of going against the grain of generic PCs, they surpass them by being better - being thought out better, by offering better solutions. If I remember right, iMac's power buttons were also on the back, BUT the keyboard had a power key. Then it transpired (I believe) that power was not a universally supported function of USB keyboards, so it was cut from the Pro Keyboard, and conveniently appeared on the Studio Displays. I don't remember how iMacs are dealing with it now, but if you can come up with a good argument for having the power button on the back - I'd love to hear it. And don't for a minute tell me Apple can't design a nice enough power button to go on the front

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by superblue:
And don't for a minute tell me Apple can't design a nice enough power button to go on the front
Why would they need one out front? Maybe I'm weird, but we never turn our Macs off/on unless we are moving them (I'm not talking PBs/iBooks), and that's a rare occasion. We just put them to sleep or let them goto sleep on their own.

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:39 AM

That's a fair point (I have to admit, I always do so using the power button on my monitor, and forgot you can do the same thing via the menu too). However, it's not something that everyone's accustomed to (though realising its convenience may be a positive experience for Mini users!).

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 12:50 AM

All I am trying to say is that this is the first PC/Mac that has not come with a KB/Mouse and people are going to complain when they have to spend for something that they used to get for free.
Actually, you said that Apple "just lost 80%-90% of windows switchers" by not including a keyboard. That's a bit different than saying people will complain about not getting a keyboard/mouse for free. I'm sure some people will complain, but I doubt it will sway many buying decisions. Actually, I think it's cool that they're not including the K/M because it allows them to package it in that ultra small cool looking box, which will probably sell a lot of systems by itself.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 12:58 AM

THANK GOD they didn't include a keyboard...

If you want the regular keyboard... go for it... but many of us want specific keyboards or mice. I would rather choose.

Mack
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 01:14 AM

The Mac mini, it seems to me, is aimed primarily at the PC user who has been tempted to try a Mac but has been put off by the front-end investment. That PC guy already has a monitor, keyboard and mouse and now, for $500, he can try out OS X, the iApps and all the other Mac stuff he's heard about. Apple is betting that if the guy will just give it a try, he'll discover that he can do everything he needs to do, plus a lot more that he never thought of doing, on a Mac. And he'll eventually look to move up to other, more powerful (and expensive) Macs. I think it's a pretty good bet.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 01:55 AM

I work in a newspaper office full of PC users who are forced to use Macs in the office, and between the iPod Shuffle and this, they're think 'Mac' is going to kick some ass. I can't believe how many people got iPod's over the holidays.

I'm looking at buying one for our Campus Paper office, and if it goes well, its a dirt cheap option to replace the aging G4 400 towers we've got. All the average user runs is Word, InDesign and the internet. A select few use Photoshop / Illustrator and we have better towers anyway. I don't want to buy G5 towers for such simple work, nor do I want to buy computers with built-in monitors. We never use the expansion of towers anyways.

I could see us buying 6 or 7 of these, the only concern is RAM. We've got spare keyboards, mice and monitors falling off the shelves, so no problem there.

If I have to pay an Apple Authorized Service Centre to put in RAM, it may hold me pack. I'm not going to pay Apple prices for RAM. I can only hope our campus computer centre will do it for cheap.

So I think this has way more uses than just a switcher machine. I almost bought one today, and then realized I don't really need it

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 02:05 AM

The original crappy iMac / G4 KBs didn't kill sales. Not at all. In fact it ignited a plethora of 3rd party products, many of which were as much as 60-70 bucks. And they sold like mad!

If anything this will make this will drive KB/mouse prices down as more and more peeps buy them.

Apple KB is already down 10 bucks. Expect 3rd party maker to reply in step.

T

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2005, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by ChadC:
Well, I would definatly be buying one if it had a better video card.

32mb is just not nearly good enough for 3D rendering.
I told you this was coming!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 02:21 AM

ps2 ports on the mini? you've got to be kidding me!

this is an excellent and unprecedented product that's going to increase mac marketshare overnight. this is really a prime example of apple listening to their customers. i'm really impressed.
F = ma

Tristrami
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 02:28 AM

This is EXACTLY what I need for my home automation project. I was considering picking up a used G3 iMac for the same thing, but why bother? For $500 I get a g4 and can use my current Apple LCD to install all software (Indigo, etc.), and then manage it remotely -- Smack a second cheapo 3rd-party LCD into the deal, and it'll probably even end up doing double duty as an iBook replacement for my wife's aging G3 iBook, especially for websurfing, LAN gameplaying...I think that the Mac mini will become a second/third/fourth box in MANY prosumer homes. It's *not* designed to compete with the G5 towers, so in my mind it shouldn't be equipped to handle serious graphics/video apps. Besides, what serious video editor would have just 80 gigs to play with on their rig? You can still do iMovie with it just fine.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 03:34 AM

Yay! A new 'pizza box' Mac. I loved the old LCs, and the PM6100 was nice and small for the time.

Given that the specs are between 250 and 400mhz higher than my iBook I don't think I'll rush out to get one, but I'll certainly recommend it to friends/family who need a new computer.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

ChadC
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 04:19 AM

Yea, you are most likely correct! I was just dreaming that this was a possibility because I really really love these things and I haven't even seen one in person. It just makes so much sense. I mean, why all the need for excess stuff in the huge towers(unless you enjoy upgrading, etc.) which I really don't. Anyway, maybe Rev. B or C. will have some more VRAM (yes, I am still dreaming that I will eventually own one of these and be able to run 3D software at a decent speed).
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 12, 2005, 04:46 AM

I played with the Mac Mini for a while at the expo. First of all, it is a very well designed computer, as you might expect from Apple. In terms of speed, it's faster than the fastest PowerBook that's out there, which you might expect given that they didn't have to opt for extremely low power circuitry.

This is clearly being marketed at people who want a Mac, but don't want to spend a lot of money to get one, and would like to use their existing monitors, keyboards, etc. PC users who might be inclined to give the Mac a shot, but don't want to pay the high cost of entry, and Mac users who might own a laptop, and would like a second machine.

Don't forget that this machine also comes with a very impressive array of software as well. Very well done, Apple.

I think Apple finally did the Cube right. Bargain priced, not boutique priced, and in an even smaller form factor. It's really amazing to see in person, it's incredibly tiny -- I might even be inclined to use it as a sushi-serving tray.

It actually would make a pretty decent little server, too. I imagine that when we retire our IRC server, we'll replace it with one of these.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2005, 04:50 AM

My take on the new Mac mini: It's brilliant! I'm ready to bet that it's going to fly out of the stores and Apple will have a hard time keeping up with demand. If you think about what $499 is buying you in terms of hardware, but also the incredible software package thrown in, IMHO there is no PC manufacturer that can compete. This box is going to be the bomb.

A couple of points brought up:

� Internal APX/BT BTO: Awesome! I hoped it would be possible, but seeing the $499 rumor I was afraid they'd cut internal BT. But it's in with APX too and an inexpensive combo package as BTO. Great move Apple! Less cables and yet the box is so tiny. Awesome.

� Missing KB/Mouse: Great idea. Keep costs down, would be a waste in most cases anyhow (PC converts, additional Mac, replacement Mac, etc.). Apple offers a very cheap KB/Mouse combo and if that's not cheap enough, get some no name PC crap. Good move not to include PS/2 ports - they're not needed - there are $2 PS/2->USB adapters. I think it might be smart of Apple to have PS/2-USB converters in AppleStores and if a customer eventually really wants to attach PS/2 devices and doesn't like the idea of buying an adapter, the salespeople could throw in the adapter for free as a little 'present' - I'm sure the cheapskate buyers would just love that. And at $2 a piece I doubt Apple could care.

� RAM: 256MB is of course not enough. The AppleStore price for 512MB is OK - the 1GB price is insane. If the box can be easily opened, there should be no problem to order 256 and insert a 1GB DIMM on your own or buy an Apple certified technician (doesn't void warranty). I'm really anxious to see why RAM/APX are not user-serviceable. Of course the box is tiny and the internal components are crammed in there, but judging by the images, the DIMM seems well accessible.

� User-serviceable: It would be nice to see that HD/DIMM/APX could be inserted/swapped as easily as on the iMac G5 so that every user could do it himself. But I expect the size constraints just didn't allow for that, I doubt it's just pure Steve marketing. At least this could be something they improve in the next generation. People on very tight budgets could then insert already available disks or order w/o APX and then later on install it to keep the initial cost down, etc.

� Faster 1.42GHz option: Hell, who expected that one? Not only can you BTO a larger HD, but also a SuperDrive! Insane, I never expected Apple would allow a SuperDrive BTO on this budget box, but they did. The additional $100 not only gets you a larger HD, it also buys you a 1.42GHz G4. Amazing. Not long ago that was the top speed of the G4 PowerMacs. This just goes to show that all those conspiracy theorist freaks claiming Steve can't and won't cater to price sensitive people are so wrong. They are doing it, right here and now.

� GPU: The one I expected. The 9200 is cheap, stays cooler and doesn't compete with the iMac G5's GPU. It's soldered (who honestly expected a 4x AGP slot with a removable card in a $499 Apple box???) so you're stuck with it. It all boils down to this: This Mac is great for most home and small office use as long as you don't want to play 3D games. It will run OS X great (assuming you have more than 256MB RAM) and it will let newcomers see how great iLife and the Mac experience is in general. But, if you're a gamer, you will want another Mac (single G5 PowerMac) or you should buy a PS2 along with your Mac mini.

� Future improvement possibilities: First of all, since they are already offering an improved logic board (1.42GHz G4) model as BTO, it would be nice to see that model also get a better GPU option. A 9700 mobility? I guess heat could be a problem and to keep this box quiet is certainly a good idea. But if heat constraints would allow I could well imagine that people would pay for an improved BTO GPU upgarde. It would also help to sell the box to all those who want to do some casual gaming. Of course hard core 3D gamers will never buy it, but the box should sell to homes where at least the possibility of some casual 3D gaming is often required. Secondly, I'd like to see optical drive/HD/APX/DIMM become user-serviceable parts. That way people can buy the ultra-cheapest model and use either spare parts to upgrade or buy better components later on (when they have more money). Of course the design is limiting. So this is maybe just utopian.

All in all: This box is awesome. I predict it's going to be the number one selling Mac model.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 12, 2005 at 10:48 AM. )

gzeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 04:56 AM

A 32mb video card is more than adequate using the rationale that the mini is (presumably) designed for novices, but what about the meager 256mb of ram and the use of a laptop hard drive? With only 256mb of ram, OS X is going to be hitting the virtual memory often, and what it'll be hitting is a 4200 rpm dog-slow hard drive. I fear this thing will have a bunch of switchers mumbling how much faster their Dell's were.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:09 AM

But that's the point...you have someone that is a completely computer idiot that just plopped down $500 for a MiniMac and gets it home only to find out that they have to go either back out and hunt down a ps2-USB adapter (if they even know what that is) or they must sit down and order one online (if they have access to the internet since they can't work their shinny new MiniMac. They thought that all they had to do was plug in their old KB/Mouse just like they did with their old Dell Celeron that they bought three years ago and they wanted to switch to a Mac.

You seem to be coming up with scenarios that defy common sense, but I'll play along. Wouldn't they just ask at the store about being compatible?

Anyway if people are worried about kb/mouse just buy this MacMall bundle. I'm sure we'll see others!

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by gzeus:
A 32mb video card is more than adequate using the rationale that the mini is (presumably) designed for novices, but what about the meager 256mb of ram and the use of a laptop hard drive? With only 256mb of ram, OS X is going to be hitting the virtual memory often, and what it'll be hitting is a 4200 rpm dog-slow hard drive. I fear this thing will have a bunch of switchers mumbling how much faster their Dell's were.
Naah. Dells are garbage and not fast at all. Especially since the low end boxes typically come with 256MB and Intel Extreme shared graphics. So you're running XP with 224MB Ram. Which anyhing (esp. the De-Celeron) running XP with that little RAM is a dog. Been there, done that.

The wife's G3/800 iBook has 256MB and it's not terribly bad. It's a little slow at times when we are both logged on (use fast user switching), but for day to day use with 1 person it's decent. I do need to upgrade her RAM though.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by gzeus:
Where do you see that it is a 4200 rpm notebook drive????

There's room in there for a desktop hard drive and at the MacMini cost I'd bet for desktop drive too.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:22 AM

I like the Mac mini. My single processor 1.25ghz PowerMac with its 167mhz bus and Radeon 9000 feels plenty fast so I would expect that I would like the performance of the 1.42ghz mini.

As for the keyboard/mouse thing, I think the one of the reasons Apple doesn't include them (aside from price) is so the it can have a really small box. Think about how much bigger the box would be if a keyboard and mouse were included.

Personally, I don't mind this because I like my Microsoft Wheel Optical mouse, and for a keyboard, I would order this:

http://matias.ca/osxkeyboard/
Agent69

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 10:35 AM

I think it's AMAZING that people are making comments like...

"What do you think people will think when they get home and realize there's no keyboard/mouse in the box????"

OK folks....

The box is smaller than an iPod box...... I'm sure when they're handed this little box they'll ask "no keyboard or mouse?"

The response will be.. "no, you can use your old keyboard/mouse/monitor...keep in mind some keyboards are PS2 and in that case you'll need an adapter... we sell them here for $4.95"

end of discussion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules