Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > B+W G3 450 rev2 and ultra ata / scsi boot problem

B+W G3 450 rev2 and ultra ata / scsi boot problem
FunandBlindness
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 03:16 AM

Ok this machine shipped with a scsi drive and runs OS X 10.3.8 from that drive. I added a 120gig ata drive and DVD rom drive. That has been working great. Just bought a DVR-109 DVD writer and new 80 wire ATA cable. When changing the cable I noticed after all this time the motherboard has an IDE slot and another marked Ultra ATA. When I try and use the Ultra ATA slot the machine will not boot from the SCSI drive, it works fine with the new cable plugged to the IDE slot. Why can't I boot from the Ultra ATA slot with a SCSI boot drive? Does the boot ROM only try Ultra ATA if it is in use? Does it even make a difference? It is only a ATA/33 slot anyway. Thanks for any insight.

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 03:20 PM

the B&W's ATA controller only supports a max 33MB/sec anyway, so unless your original cable is damaged, I wouldn't mess with replacing it; it's not going to help the speed.

Also, it should be noted, that to flood a 33MB/sec ATA channel, you'd have to read DVD's at something like 24x...

edit: as far as why you can't boot from ATA, I'm not entirely sure...have you tried booting from an OS X or OS 9 CD and set the startup disk to the drive you want to use?
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 03:01 PM

My Rev1 does strange things when it comes to booting:
It used to boot Jaguar or OS 9 happily from the first partition on the ATA drive. It would only install Panther onto the 2nd partition of this drive.
It used to boot occasionally if it couldn't find any other boot devices from the SCSI drive on an adaptec 2940UW, but never from any attempt to select the drive as startup.
When I tried to switch the HD and optical drives over (DVD on ATA bus as Master, and HD on IDE), it refused to boot from CD in this configuration.
Now if I as much as connect the SCSI drive (disconnected as part of my efforts to install Panther), it refuses to boot at all. Gets stuck on the spinning gear.

Go figure.

digital_dreamer
Feb 22, 2005, 07:24 PM

I've had all kinds of weird, unpredictable ide issues with B&W CPUs.

I wonder if the previously mentioned issues are Rev. 1 issues, or just general B&W IDE controller anomalies.

regards,
MAJ

FunandBlindness  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the posts, I ended up with the new cable booting off the IDE controller, it works fine. Never worked out the scsi boot thing and can't boot from a cd with the 109. Good thing the 109 has buffer underrun protection! Anyway, once tiger come out it's mac mini time for me. This B+W has been a great machine and will continue on as a great compliment to a mac mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules