Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing high resolution in 10.4.1

Printing high resolution in 10.4.1
dagmar
Forum Regular
May 17, 2005, 11:03 PM

I've been searching everywhere for a solution to this: I have a Canon i9900 printer to which I can print perfectly well...anything but high resolution pictures/pages. There is no problem seeing the printer or printing anything, but when the hi-res stuff gets sent, printing just hangs. Apple support says hi-res printing may take "a long time" but for me it just won't finish no matter how long I wait. It starts the job, gets maybe 2/3 of the way through, then that's it. I'm trying to print inDesign pages with photos.

I'm trying this with a Powerbook g4, 1.5, 1 gig ram, 10.4.1, through airport. My iMac G5, which still has 10.3.9 handles these jobs perfectly, so I am having to network the two, transfer the files, then print from the iMac. I really can't believe this is an install issue...I did a clean install on the PB, then transferred settings over.

This whole problem began with 10.4, has not been resolved with the 10.4.1 update.For me, this is a big issue...any ideas

digital_dreamer
May 17, 2005, 11:31 PM

In your InDesign Print dialog, under Graphics, under Images, is "Send Data" as "All" or "Optimized Subsampling?"

Just curious.

I haven't installed Tiger yet, even though it's been sitting on my desk for two weeks. I have a machine I depend on for freelance work and cannot risk not getting the job done. And, I'm certainly not going to bang my head on the wall at 3 a.m. trying unsuccessfully to output a job, given various issues I already have with fonts.

regards,
MAJ

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 11:38 PM

My wife had some problems printing through Airport after I upgraded to Tiger. Try going to the Print Center Utility (in Utilities folder of Applications) and under the program menu, go to "Reset Printing System..." You'll have to add the printer driver, but things should work.

dagmar  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 12:02 PM

placebo1969: Thanks. This worked! Did have to reinstall the printer driver...hopefully this continues to work.

digital_dreamer: "Send Data" is all.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by dagmar
placebo1969: Thanks. This worked! Did have to reinstall the printer driver...hopefully this continues to work.

digital_dreamer: "Send Data" is all.
Great news!!

dagmar  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 10:33 PM

Well, now I've had a bust. I can print one page, maybe two, then all hangs again. I've had some success quitting the applications (InDesign and Photoshop), and shutting down the printer, then restarting, just to print the next page. I've even tried restarting the computer...we're talking a 1.5 Powerbook with a gig of ram...I shouldn't have to do this!!! It certainly makes no sense to have to reset the printer every few pages.

Sorry, but I can't help but feel that printing is seriousy broken in 10.4

ChrisF
Senior User
May 19, 2005, 08:23 AM

The logical step to try is to connect the printer directly to your computer. Also, you say you wait "a long time." How long is that?
Do you have the latest drivers from Canon?
Also, printing from Indesign to a non-Postscript printer may yield better (and quicker) results by exporting to PDF first and then printing those.

Forum Links
Forum Rules