Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Quark buys ALAP

Quark buys ALAP
naderby
Dec 15, 2005, 09:58 AM

It saddens me to hear that Quark has bought A Lowly Apprentice Production Inc. (ALAP).

Why? Because ALAP make really great software for InDesign. For me, Imposer Pro is indispensable.

I think it's a given that Quark will stop the production of InDesign tools. After all, I think they are running scared at the moment that InDesign will shrink their business.

http://www.macminute.com/2005/12/14/quark-alap/

th3ph17
Dec 15, 2005, 12:07 PM

it may be a good business model for Quark to sell things to Adobe users.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 07:39 PM

IMHO, I think Quark woke up over the last two years. Quark 5 almost killed the company. Quark 6 was bad, 6.1 was usable and now we are back to where 4.1 was with 6.5.

I think Quark 7 looks interesting from everything I've seen.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I think Quark 7 looks interesting from everything I've seen.
think it will work properly or will we be taking steps backward again?

digital_dreamer
Jan 9, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
think it will work properly or will we be taking steps backward again?
I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, 6.5 isn't good enough for the production department. I have 6.5 on only two systems and that's as far as it'll go. The inability to import certain PDFs; the highlighting artifacts; if a link is broken, double-clicking on the image provides no useable information (You must select the image and open Usage); font activation and reflow of text takes way too long just for a stinkin' one-page broadsheet document; printer selection via Print Styles doesn't work (like ID); images still look like crap; Preview Resolution->Full.. only works on a per-image basis, and if you want them all off, guess what?!, and the list goes on...

I plan on moving the department to ID by summer, simply because ID works now. There are no show stoppers and stupid work-arounds.

Frankly, I can build a page faster in QuarkXPress, because I've worked in it since it was v2.1. But, ID is more powerful, offers more control, and I can build better looking documents in it.

regards,
MAJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules