Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" Intel iBook rumours redux

13" Intel iBook rumours redux (Page 9)
Simon
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
The thing is, I can't see how Apple can make a profit selling a MacBook for $1099 with all the great stuff we've talked about in this thread. Sure they could pop a Core Solo in there, but is this alone really going to do the trick?
The Solo itself doesn't do much for margins. It's only a tad less expensive than the Duo ($32 for 1k buyers). But I think it's more about marketing than about cost efficiency. Every buyer will appreciate that the Duo is an important step up form the Solo.

Talking about margins, we have to keep in mind that Apple is selling a $599 mini and they are certainly not doing it without a profit. That system is the same as the $1099 MB I posted above minus the screen and the iSight. I really believe $500 gives them enough air to put those two things in a nice and small white plastic case.

Of course that's just my guess. I hope we'll get the definite answer this Tuesday.

marc101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 09:28 AM

I agree with what you say. If they put a Core Solo in I will be pretty disapointed. They will be making far to big a profit on the base version if they put in a Solo. The sad thing is, Apple will do it. As much as I hate to admit it, Apple is in it for the money.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 10:13 AM

The thing is, I can't see how Apple can make a profit selling a MacBook for $1099 with all the great stuff we've talked about in this thread.
I've said the same thing to myself over the $599 Core Solo Mac mini. It's got lots 'o toys in it (SATA hard drive, wireless, Bluetooth) and a current-generation processor despite everyone's griping about the graphics.

I pretty much agree with I hope Simon's expectations of a $1099 Solo and a $1399 Duo MacBook. I think Apple can pull it off because they're +$500 and +$600 portable versions of the Mac mini. And the $300 premium of the higher model is now justified over what we got for our $300 in the G4 series (bigger but same res LCD, slight processor speed and HD size bump).

I'm hoping for the $999/$1299 price point to be maintained but am not expecting it. I'd pay the $100 extra for the much faster CPU (especially if it's dual-core) and hopefully much nicer LCD. Twist my arm.

I will be very disappointed if all MacBook models are, say, Core Solos, or if the 1024x768 LCDs are still used or they cripple a feature on purpose (slower ethernet for example).

Voch

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 11:05 AM

Here are my final thoughts/predictions/whatever you want to call it, as we lead up to the big MacBook announcement:
<snip> The new MacBooks will come in 2 new models:

$1299 - 1.6 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 60GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- Combo Drive

$1499 - 1.8 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 80GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- SuperDrive
With as much as the new MacBooks are gonna smoke existing iBooks and 12" PowerBooks, I can see them raising the price of the bottom end to $1099. Like I said earlier, I don't think they should, but I think they've done it before with iBooks.

On the other hand, I think the chance of a $1299 low end is about zero. It would revitalize the "Macs are way overpriced" myth something fierce.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 01:20 PM

The most recent Think Secret report just got an update saying that MacBooks will be thinner than iBooks, that black and white options will be available, and that there will be a price increase (which I still believe will result in a low-end model at $1099, no higher)

Has anyone else publicly referred to the upcoming black MacBook as the BlackBook? Because I'd like to think I coined that term if a) the "black option" rumor turns out true and b) people start using calling it that..

Voch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks for that ThinkSecret update slugslugslug...I didn't check that site yet today. I was just about to post about how Tuesday might not bring us a MacBook but just a Red Hot Chili Peppers iPod...something I hope isn't true as all the recent rumor mongering has me ready to buy something...

I'd consider a BlackBook (nifty nickname) if it wasn't shiny and scratchable like the iPod nano. I think I'm leaning towards a white MacBook even if I'm given a choice...

Voch

Thraxes
May 6, 2006, 05:19 PM

I just hope that the weight loss is substantial. My flatmates Thinkpad X60 is as light as a feather and has similar battery life to my much much heavier iBook. OK, there is no cd dirve in the X series Thinkpads but I guess that is a design issue due the the extreme thinness of the machine.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2006, 07:59 PM

I would love it if they could keep the $999 price point, but if they can't - no big deal. I'm still looking forward to them.

I'm a fairly active Windows person these days, but I've also been wanting to do some more UNIX/Linux stuff. Combined with OS X and Boot Camp, I should be set.

And I want to start doing some war driving stuff (I just hope they keep the PCMCIA slots).

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 6, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
The Solo itself doesn't do much for margins. It's only a tad less expensive than the Duo ($32 for 1k buyers).
Let's say Apple pays $28 per CPU less. That's a huge margin difference on a $999 product. That's 2.8% of the total retail price (not even just wholesale price). Moreover, that's a difference of ~10% on the margin, considering that current margins are around 28%. That's VERY significant.

P.S. If Apple did come out with both a black and a white (and I'm not convinced they will), then I'd still buy the white, if the iPod is any indication for smudge factor. After 10 minutes of handing a black iPod, it looks like crap.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Let's say Apple pays $28 per CPU less. That's a huge margin difference on a $999 product. That's 2.8% of the total retail price (not even just wholesale price). Moreover, that's a difference of ~10% on the margin, considering that current margins are around 28%. That's VERY significant.
This reasoning seems pretty solid; I'm almost convinced the low end will have a Core Solo..

P.S. If Apple did come out with both a black and a white (and I'm not convinced they will), then I'd still buy the white, if the iPod is any indication for smudge factor. After 10 minutes of handing a black iPod, it looks like crap.
Hopefully I can get into a store the day they come out, but after there's been some time for folks to fiddle with 'em. I lean towards black now, but if the smudging thing holds, I may have to go with white.

Though maybe I'll just talk myself out of a new laptop for now. I can probably live through next semester's programming class either using my TiBook or lab computers (or just working at home)..

Voch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Though maybe I'll just talk myself out of a new laptop for now. I can probably live through next semester's programming class either using my TiBook or lab computers (or just working at home)..
If I may ask, what kind of programming class? I'm doing Java development for my company on a Dell Windows PC (I hate working at a desk ) and just showing demos of our software on my TiBook (which is too slow for full-time Eclipse development). I can't want to ditch both machines and do all my work on a MacBook.

Voch

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

I'd still buy the white, if the iPod is any indication for smudge factor. After 10 minutes of handing a black iPod, it looks like crap.
You're exaggerating. I have a black Nano which I take to the gym. It dangles around my neck on lanyard headphones, bashes against weights, and has my sweaty fingers on it every 30 mins when I change albums/podcasts.

After 6 months and only being occasionally wiped on a t-shirt, it still looks excellent. You'd have to really stare at it closely to see the marks.

Regarding a black MacBook: if it's a dull matt plastic then that would be boring. But if it is a glossy transparent skinned finish, then...

Oh momma, I'm buying this baby!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
You're exaggerating. I have a black Nano which I take to the gym. It dangles around my neck on lanyard headphones, bashes against weights, and has my sweaty fingers on it every 30 mins when I change albums/podcasts.
YMMV, but I was in the store, and the fingerprints on the nano we were checking out made it look terrible IMO. It's much less obvous on the white nano.

Though maybe I'll just talk myself out of a new laptop for now.
Resistance is futile.

P.S. I just got my tax refund. I take that as a sign...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2006, 04:00 AM

Well if it's halfway decent I'll buy the Core Duo MB just to play around with and make my own opinion. I can still sell it off on Ebay later. I highly doubt I'd be that thrilled about it to have it replace my 2.0GHz MBP. The GMA950 alone makes me shiver.

Anybody else here that already knows he'll buy it the moment it's announced?

Voch
Mac Elite
May 7, 2006, 09:52 PM

Me! It's time to replace the TiBook with something more compact and much faster. I'm not too worried about the GMA950 video if it happens (in fact, I'm hoping for low-end video so it'll run cooler). If it's got a Core Duo processor, nice crisp 1280x800 13.3" LCD, SuperDrive of any kind, mini-DVI output, gigabit ethernet, and a pricetag of $1299-$1399 I'll buy it from the online Apple Store as fast as Firefox will allow me to on my clunker of a G4 notebook.

Voch

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 7, 2006, 09:56 PM

Though maybe I'll just talk myself out of a new laptop for now.
Resistance is futile.

P.S. I just got my tax refund. I take that as a sign...
Well, there's also the fact that since I've been a member, I've had 2 Macs that were the same model as yours, so having foregone the iBook, it seems like I need to get a MacBook to stay in sync.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 01:45 AM

And me! I am laptop-less atm, as I have just sold off my iBook. I'm not fussed on graphics, as I don't really play games, and have an iMac for anything graphics intensive. I am assuming there will be a solol and duo, and I am trying to decide which I should buy. I guess me decision willl be made easier by Tuesday...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

michaelb
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 02:27 AM

Probably me. (Memorizing the credit card numbers right now for fast entry!) The way the rumors are going, it's going to be just what I'm waiting for. And I'd kill for a shiny black one.

I'm just a bit scared of Apple's recent track record of making laptops that get hot and whine. The folks in the PowerBook/MacBook Pro forum have a lot of woe going on.

I also had one of the iBook G3 700MHz series that had a faulty logic board and needed 3 repairs to get it right, so I've been wary of Apple's QC since then.

But hell, these things have been long enough in development, they must have got the bugs out by now, right...?

On the bright side, my aluminum PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz was pretty near perfect in every way. I only sold it recently because I wanted an Intel-based one. If the small MacBook can match it in design, then it will be a slick machine.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 02:36 AM

I would have been ready to pull the trigger Tuesday on a shiny new MacBook to accompany my 20" iMac G5 (I find myself needing portability more and more), but I broke down April 24th and decided the best move for me would be to sell the 20" iMac G5 and put all my eggs in one basket - the 17" MacBook Pro. So that's what I did. They shipped it Friday, and it's supposed to be here Wednesday. I'm pretty convinced I won't regret my purchase when I see the MacBooks, because I don't feel I can live without the 1680x1050 screen resolution I'm used to. But the fact that the MacBook Pro has the same exterior design as the PowerBook, and the MacBook will get a whole new design, may have me grinding my teeth Tuesday.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
I'm just a bit scared of Apple's recent track record of making laptops that get hot and whine. The folks in the PowerBook/MacBook Pro forum have a lot of woe going on.
After all the bitching about the whine, you'd assume Apple will make sure the MB doesn't have it. That said, I'll believe it when I see it.

And regarding to heat issues, I'd imagine the GMA950 will help it stay cooler and use less battery than the MBP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 03:11 AM

The new MacBooks will come in 2 new models:

$1299 - 1.6 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 60GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- Combo Drive

$1499 - 1.8 Ghz Core Duo
- built in iSight
- 80GB HD
- 512MB Ram
- SuperDrive
I think your pricing is realistic (add $100 in upgrades, mark it up by $200) based on the current MBP pricing (add $200 CPU upgrade, mark it up by $300), but I think your configurations are wrong; 1.5 solo/1.66 duo or 1.66 solo/duo are much more likely in my opinion.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 03:15 AM

Any idea what Apple is savings on the GPU by spending $4 (standard disclaimer about 1Ku pricing) on GMA950 instead of buying the low-end mobilty card from a few generations back? I haven't seen an iSupply teardown of the component costs for the iBooks or any other low-end laptops.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 03:30 AM

That's correct, but it gives a wrong overall impression.

If Apple uses a Core Duo they can charge at least $100 more just because people are willing to pay more for 'dual CPU' systems (see the Mac mini where a Duo, plus 20GB of HDD plus a SuperDrive is worth an extra $200). So suddenly Apple is making $100 more a pop, when it actually costs them only $28 to upgrade. That's $72 of net profit over the Solo system. And suddenly $28 savings look pretty pale in comparison.

So yes, if it's about building the cheapest system the Solo is a good choice. But if it's about driving revenue Apple would much rather sell a Duo system than a Solo system and that is the point I was trying to make in that post.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 03:43 AM

A Core Solo MacBook for $899 and the Core Duo's starting at $1099 and $1399 would be a real nice line-up. You'd think that $300 extra would be enough premium to laptopify (new verb) the $599 and $799 Mac Minis, since the Minis already use more expensive laptop components. I think it's worth noting that Apple hasn't updated the iBook in a year, so their current profit margins are probably like 70%. That said, they could afford to give a little more bang for the buck out of the gate.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 04:41 AM

I still think that Apple will offer two MacBook models and both will sport the CoreDuo processor. Interestingly enough, Apple's competition seems to be adopting the CoreDuo processor in droves. I'm surprised so many of you seem to think that the Core Solo is the most likely option for their "lowend" MacBook. It should be noted that the very respectable AppleInsider also seems to think that Apple will use CoreDuo processors in every MacBook.

So many of you seem convinced you will be seeing a MacBook for $999-$1099 US on Tuesday. If Apple does indeed release a MacBook priced at $1099 US, my jaw will hit the floor. Being from Canada, maybe I'm just used to seeing higher prices, but $1199-$1299 US still seems like a more realistic figure for a lowend MacBook, considering everything the machine is rumored to offer. The only way I could see a lower priced MacBook (in the $999-$1099 range) is if Apple releases a MacBook Pro 13" or skimps greatly on the included features in their lowend model, and I don't see either of these things happening.

I guess we'll all find out for sure on Tuesday.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 07:33 AM

That's correct, but it gives a wrong overall impression.

If Apple uses a Core Duo they can charge at least $100 more just because people are willing to pay more for 'dual CPU' systems (see the Mac mini where a Duo, plus 20GB of HDD plus a SuperDrive is worth an extra $200). So suddenly Apple is making $100 more a pop, when it actually costs them only $28 to upgrade. That's $72 of net profit over the Solo system. And suddenly $28 savings look pretty pale in comparison.

So yes, if it's about building the cheapest system the Solo is a good choice. But if it's about driving revenue Apple would much rather sell a Duo system than a Solo system and that is the point I was trying to make in that post.
I might agree with you if there were no Core Solo Mac mini.

Originally Posted by mduell
Any idea what Apple is savings on the GPU by spending $4 (standard disclaimer about 1Ku pricing) on GMA950 instead of buying the low-end mobilty card from a few generations back? I haven't seen an iSupply teardown of the component costs for the iBooks or any other low-end laptops.
Is GMA 950 really only $4?

No idea about the 3rd party GPU pricing. Radeon X300 HyperMemory is supposed to be be a pretty good bang for the buck though. Still, like the Core Duo vs. Core Solo, bang for the buck may not be as important as the actual amount of bucks.

BTW, here is X300 vs. Xpress 200 vs. GMA 950 on a 3 year old PC game:

Here it is on more recent games:

Even Xpress 200 is a humungous improvement. One wonders what Intel G965 would be like. I think it'd still likely be worse than Intel Xpress 200, but at least it'd be an improvement over GMA 950. Unfortunately, G965 is apparently not out yet.

P.S. Here it is against the old 9200:

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 8, 2006 at 07:56 AM. )

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 07:48 AM

If there are black and white options, we may not be able to choose. Apple may offer the low end model in white and the higher end in black. They've done this before with the SE models. I hope we get a choice for the same model, but it's possible we won't. Or the base model may be white only and the upper model may come in 2 colours.

I still think Apple will just go with white, but I'm basing that only on the fingerprint issue. Unless they switch from glossy to matte, I can't imagine using a black MB without gloves.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 09:07 AM

I still think that Apple will offer two MacBook models and both will sport the CoreDuo processor. Interestingly enough, Apple's competition seems to be adopting the CoreDuo processor in droves. I'm surprised so many of you seem to think that the Core Solo is the most likely option for their "lowend" MacBook.
I think it has to do mainly with price. Hardly anybody here believes the $999 entry price tag will stick around. I think people here are mainly expecting a Solo because Apple already demonstrated with the mini that it's a way to let them offer Macs at nearly the same prices they were when they still had a G4. I don't think people want a Solo in the MB rather than a Duo, but people would like to see a MB below $1300.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 10:36 AM

I think a lot of students would buy a Core Solo MacBook, especially if it were $999 or less. In native apps, it'd still be a heluvalot faster than a G4 1.33 GHz iBook (except in some games, etc. if the MacBook gets GMA 950 graphics).

In fact, most of the people I know that bought iBooks would probably buy the Core Solo MacBook over the Core Duo MacBook if it meant saving $100. I personally would get the Core Duo for sure though, but I'm not quite as price conscious as they are, and plus I'm a geek.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 12:21 PM

I just don't see how/why they would have anything but GMA 950. The iBook or MacBook is an entry level laptop. Go look at Dell in their $1000 level computers... and you will see the same graphics cards.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I just don't see how/why they would have anything but GMA 950. The iBook or MacBook is an entry level laptop. Go look at Dell in their $1000 level computers... and you will see the same graphics cards.
Then why didn't iBooks have ATI Xpress 200 then? In fact, why did Apple upgrade from the Radeon 9200 to the Radeon 9550 in the $999 iBook?

I agree that GMA 950 makes sense from a practicality point of view, but Apple's history is a bit confusing here.

P.S. Someone emailed me a link to an AI article that was titled "New MacBook to be "most affordable iBook" ever?" However, it seems the article is gone now. Did anyone see the article?

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 12:54 PM

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by miniMoe
Try this link.
- Overview
Hear about the most affordable iBook ever.

- What you will Learn
Specifications and features of the new iBook.

- Featured Solutions
Hear about how the new iBook is your go-anywhere digital solution.

- Who Should Attend
This session is open to anyone who wishes to attend, but is not a training class.
I hope this doesn't mean we won't get a Intel Core Duo MacBook until later. I was looking forward to tomorrow's rumoured Apple's Intel consumer laptop announcement. (I'm not convinced they'll keep the "iBook" moniker for such a machine.)

Voch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 01:02 PM

Here's the text of the missing AI article in a MacRumors forum post.

According to the MacRumors forum folks it's been debunked. The "Hear about the most affordable iBook ever" seems to be standard invitation text.

I'm starting to wonder about all this MacBook-on-Tuesday stuff... I want a <$1500 Core Duo 13.3" notebook soon...

Voch

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 01:11 PM

OK. I suspect the timing of that iBook seminar is just a coincidence. AI probably feels the same way, and that's why they pulled the article. I still hold out hope for a MacBook tomorrow.

If it does come out tomorrow, I feel sorry for whomever is giving the iBook seminar.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 01:26 PM

It says hear how the 'new' iBook is your go-anywhere digital solution - they can hardly call the year old iBook 'new', can they...?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 02:29 PM

The 13" Sony SZ has the Geforce 7400. I mean, hasn't the GMA 950 been out nearly a year now?
Maybe I'm thinking of the GME series.
( Last edited by buddy1065; May 8, 2006 at 02:45 PM. )

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 04:45 PM

Then why didn't iBooks have ATI Xpress 200 then? In fact, why did Apple upgrade from the Radeon 9200 to the Radeon 9550 in the $999 iBook?

I agree that GMA 950 makes sense from a practicality point of view, but Apple's history is a bit confusing here.
I feel like Apple has been forced to go with a OK-ish graphics card to compensate for the CPU. Now that we actually have a solid CPU (not that the G4 isn't solid... but it's behind the times regarding raw performance) they can back off the GPU.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065
The 13" Sony SZ has the Geforce 7400. I mean, hasn't the GMA 950 been out nearly a year now?
Maybe I'm thinking of the GME series.
Isn't that notebook somewhere around $1700?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Isn't that notebook somewhere around $1700?
They are expensive, but they are around 4 lbs, including an optical drive and 13" 1280x800 screen.

Anyways, AI is now saying that there will be no MacBook tomorrow.

"Although Apple reportedly began manufacturing the notebooks over a week ago, sources say the Mac maker is unlikely to unveil the computers until the following week at the earliest.

The 13-inch widescreen notebooks will reportedly arrive in tandem with changes to the company's iPod line. However, precisely which versions of Apple's iPod will see such changes is unclear at this time.
"

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 05:32 PM

Darn.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 07:02 PM

Shucks. At least my TiBook is still tickin', but I've been itching for an upgrade...

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 07:22 PM

With a core solo the Sony SZ starts at $1399. I'm the kind of guy who would not mind paying at LEAST $1900 for a Macbook with at least a Geforce 7400 and dual core 1.8 Ghz. Wouldn't you guys? The express slot is a real bummer for me. Granted in the long run it will be neat for most but I have recently purchased a Kyocera KPC 650 card with Verizon. SZ has both slots. Guess I can put the card on eBay when the express cards come out though, so for now I will watch and wait, something I can easily do with a Powerbook 17" 1.5 Ghz for the heavy work and a little 10.6" screen Sony T250 to access the net anywhere in my area. Shame on me; I am typing this e-mail in a church, meeting...
( Last edited by buddy1065; May 8, 2006 at 07:32 PM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hey, Buddy,

nobody's given any indication that the littlest MacBook will even have an ExpressCard slot. I mean, it's certainly not unthinkable, but you shouldn't count on any kind of card slot, given that neither the 12" PowerBook nor any iBook model had PC Card expansion.

Originally Posted by Voch
If I may ask, what kind of programming class? I'm doing Java development...
It's the intro programming class for undergrads, taught in Java, unsurprisingly. They're recommending a lightweight IDE called Dr. Java, which is cross-platform. I haven't messed with Java, or really OOP of any sort for years, but I was a CS major before dropping out ~ a dozen years ago, so it shouldn't be too awful.

for my company on a Dell Windows PC (I hate working at a desk ) and just showing demos of our software on my TiBook (which is too slow for full-time Eclipse development). I can't want to ditch both machines and do all my work on a MacBook.
Do you plan on doing your work while booted into OS X when you get the MacBook? I imagine the performance increase over your Ti will make Eclipse usable..

Voch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 08:01 PM

Do you plan on doing your work while booted into OS X when you get the MacBook? I imagine the performance increase over your Ti will make Eclipse usable..
Definately using Mac OS X. The software I'm on requires strict cross-platform and one of our first customers is fairly Mac-centric. I'm the "Mac guy" of our small development group.

I expect Eclipse to absolutely rock on whatever Intel Mac I get. Eclipse ranges from barely usable on my Ti to absolutely horrid when the auto-completion methods pop up. I have a work Windows box, a personal Windows box, and the magic of Remote Desktop Connection via SSH tunneling so I doubt Windows will ever be run on my Intel Mac unless I need it on-the-road for work for some reason.

Admittedly, with all the MacBook frustration I may end up just play into Apple's hands and getting a refurb MBP sometime soon as I'm almost 100% sure of my D.C. work trip sometime in June. But I want to use it on my *lap* for about six hours a day. If it wasn't for the reported heat problems I'd probably have one already.

Voch

Leonis
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 08:52 PM

MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Voch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leonis
We debunked that a few posts up.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 11:41 PM

Is GMA 950 really only $4?
T2300 (2M L2 cache 1.66 GHz 667 MHz FSB) w/ Intel 945 GM Chipset and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG $308
T2300 (2M L2 cache 1.66 GHz 667 MHz FSB) w/ Intel 945 PM Chipset and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG $304

GM has GMA950, PM doesn't.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Voch
Admittedly, with all the MacBook frustration I may end up just play into Apple's hands and getting a refurb MBP sometime soon as I'm almost 100% sure of my D.C. work trip sometime in June. But I want to use it on my *lap* for about six hours a day. If it wasn't for the reported heat problems I'd probably have one already.
Don't you mean "MacBook speculation"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 10:11 AM

OK. No MacBook today... Perhaps May 16 like my original prediction?

That's 42 weeks gestation, or even longer if you count the 12" PowerBook, which is even older. It will be 67 weeks old by May 16, well over 15 months. With these kind of times, this new MacBook had better be damn nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules