Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Purchasing Macbook online W/EDU discount

Purchasing Macbook online W/EDU discount
money69
May 25, 2006, 12:22 PM

Whats needed to purchase the Macbook online with a EDU discount? Do I just need to use my .edu e-mail or???? Anyone know?

nickw311
Senior User
May 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

Yeah you just need to have some school information and verify that you are a student. I recommend using MacMall or Amazon. They both have mail in rebates and don't charge for shipping. I bought mine from MacMall because it ended up being cheaper using them than using my EDU discount.
27" iMac C2D

money69  (op)
May 25, 2006, 12:31 PM

yeah, i thought about that, but the problem is that I want a custom HD in the lower end model, I have to order the stock configs if I go through them. Also, I dont think either Amazon or Macmall has them in stock

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 09:30 PM

I've heard that Apple doesn't verify anything with regard to the educational discount, if you buy online. Now, I'm not saying that everyone should go out and lie to Apple, but, there's the information. Do with it what you will.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by money69
yeah, i thought about that, but the problem is that I want a custom HD in the lower end model, I have to order the stock configs if I go through them. Also, I dont think either Amazon or Macmall has them in stock
You might just be better off purchasing a separate internal drive and replacing the stock one, depending on which one you're planning on getting (as you know, Apple charges quite a bit for extra capacity/memory).

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
You might just be better off purchasing a separate internal drive and replacing the stock one, depending on which one you're planning on getting (as you know, Apple charges quite a bit for extra capacity/memory).
This will, however, void the warranty, won't it? It does with the iBook/PowerBook.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dmetzcher
This will, however, void the warranty, won't it? It does with the iBook/PowerBook.
It doesn't void the warranty. However if something happens while doing the repair, it's not covered.

Lizard7
May 26, 2006, 10:04 PM

Macmall will refuse to replace any DOA macs, be warned.

Originally Posted by nickw311
Yeah you just need to have some school information and verify that you are a student. I recommend using MacMall or Amazon. They both have mail in rebates and don't charge for shipping. I bought mine from MacMall because it ended up being cheaper using them than using my EDU discount.

Justin216
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 12:56 AM

I used my Edu discount the other day to order a new BTO Macbook; after selecting my institution in the online store, I customized my machine, then checkout never once asked for a student ID or anything similar, just a basic Apple Checkout, except with the nice discount

Again, YMMV, I expect Apple to eventually add in another step for the EDU discount.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl
It doesn't void the warranty. However if something happens while doing the repair, it's not covered.
This is different from the iBook, in that case, because taking that thing apart, to the degree that was required to replace the hard drive, voided the warranty. Apple only considered two things user-replaceable with that model: the RAM and the AirPort card.
Dennis R. Metzcher

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl
I wouldn't expect the new hard drive to be covered (just like third-party RAM isn't), but as long as the rest of the machine is, that doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

podcrazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2006, 11:39 AM

Did anyone purchase through Edu? On the website it's $1049 for a macbook so I thought it's cheaper to use my corporate discount, which would make it 1033. I then go into the Garden State retail store in NJ and they said education discount is $100 off, making it $999. I was like, I'm in for it now! I picked up the free printer after rebates and I took off with a 6 % tax. The tax rate was the reason I didn't want to pick it up at the new NY 24 x 7 apple store. So $1064 with a printer. not bad at all. better than amazon's deal if u consider i don't have to wait for 8 weeks for my MB and also can make returns to apple store within 30 days.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 11:42 AM

There was an article on TUAW saying that you get 3 years of warranty coverage (essentially free Applecare) if you bought from the Higher Education store. I had never heard this, even though I had bought from the HE store in the past. Is this true? Is it only for certain schools?

yticolev
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 01:10 PM

I bought my PowerBook at the Apple store in NH. 10% off, no sales tax, $100 off on an iPod (at the time). They did ask for proof, my university hospital staff ID did it. Anyone working at an educational associated facility is eligible directly from Apple (different EDUs may have other policies when buying at the campus store). Might be worth the drive if you live near to OR/DE/NH. Was for me.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by money69
You can get all the same configurations on the low end MacBook through the education store that you can through the regular store. What sort of "custom HD" do you need?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2006, 04:28 PM

He's talking about buying through Amazon or Macmall. You can only get stock machines through them.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by happy2000hk
Did anyone purchase through Edu? On the website it's $1049 for a macbook so I thought it's cheaper to use my corporate discount, which would make it 1033. I then go into the Garden State retail store in NJ and they said education discount is $100 off, making it $999. I was like, I'm in for it now! I picked up the free printer after rebates and I took off with a 6 % tax. The tax rate was the reason I didn't want to pick it up at the new NY 24 x 7 apple store. So $1064 with a printer. not bad at all. better than amazon's deal if u consider i don't have to wait for 8 weeks for my MB and also can make returns to apple store within 30 days.
Where are you in Jersey? I'm about an hour and a half away from DE, so I thought about driving over to that state, where there is no sales tax, and picking up my next Mac. I decided last week to place the order this week, and have it shipped to a location in DE where I know someone, and then have them bring it to me. Between no sales tax, and a corporate discount that I didn't know was available to me, I should make out pretty well.
Dennis R. Metzcher

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2006, 05:45 PM

applecare is definitely not free for education customers...
and i am certainly a student, but FYI, my card was charged and my computer was shipped with no questions or verification whatsoever...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 06:03 PM

Re-reading the post on TUAW, I see that the extended warranty is for EU countries only.

eeeaa
Forum Regular
May 30, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
applecare is definitely not free for education customers...
It is cheaper, however, isn't it? I noticed that it was cheaper than my corporate discount. $99 as opposed to something like $150.
Dennis R. Metzcher

Forum Links
Forum Rules