Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: 500px for iPhone, Will.i.am device launch, Vimeo 3

Briefly: 500px for iPhone, Will.i.am device launch, Vimeo 3
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 28, 2012, 03:37 PM

Pro- and semipro-oriented photo sharing, selling and storage service 500px has finally brought out an iPhone app, more than a year after its iPad gallery viewer. The now-universal iOS app features a different navigation style, but retains the categories popular with the original iPad-only version and the site, including a newsfeed-type "flow" of pictures. Not yet available is the ability to upload pictures, but the company says it will add that in a future release. Basic membership in 500px is free; an unlimited pro account costs $50 per year.

Will.i.am launches i.am+ 'fashion camera accessory' As previously reported, musician Will.i.am has teamed up with former Fusion Garage head Chandra Rathakrishnan to introduce a line of "fashion camera accessories" initially for the iPhone 4 and 4S (with a model for the iPhone 5 coming out early next year). The device (seen below) promises to turn the iPhone into the back screen of a higher-quality point-and shoot 14MP camera. Initially available only from a London-based line of department stores, the foto.sosho offers four variations on the camera-infused casing, which adds additional lenses (wide-angle and fisheye as well as a standard lens), a camera-quality image sensor and flash, and even a QWERTY keyboard to some models. Will.i.am is said to be self-funding the venture, which includes a "i.am" web domain where users can get an account to host their photos with their own subdomain. Prices on the cases start at $315 (US) and $415 for a "vintage" style case. All models for the iPhone 4 and 4S will go on sale beginning December 6. The iPhone 5 versions will be available in various shades of leather, but pricing and a release date on those models has not yet been announced. [Photos via Engadget] Vimeo revamps iOS app, removes editing functions Video hosting and sharing service Vimeo has deployed version 3.0 of its iOS app, which offers an overhauled design, "feed" style view, Facebook and Twitter video sharing and management of a users' "watch later" queue, along with background video uploading. However, the company has -- without explanation -- removed all ability to edit videos on the app. Users also can no longer edit any of the information on the video apart from the description, which has caused a backlash of comments on the program's App Store page. The company says active editing projects can be exported as videos so that they can be finished in other programs. The program still functions as an uploader and viewer, letting users find videos from across the entire site as well as share their own uploaded videos. The iPad-only version has not yet been similarly updated, but is expected to gain (and lose) the same feature set. Both versions are free.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2012, 03:19 AM

I have never seen as much hype for a single iPhone accessory before. I don't know if the product is good or bad but it's clear that Wil.i.am is a master at manipulating the media.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Forum Links
Forum Rules