Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Picture of the new iMac G5

Picture of the new iMac G5 (Page 2)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by balls:
The third picture is obviously fake. Look at the reflections in the display. The angle doesn't match.
I guess we'll know in a couple days, but these pictures look convincing enough to me.
Plus, they match the rumors of the iMac being basically a monitor with the CPU mounted behind it (something we've seen PC manufacturers to in the past).

balls
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I guess we'll know in a couple days, but these pictures look convincing enough to me.
Plus, they match the rumors of the iMac being basically a monitor with the CPU mounted behind it (something we've seen PC manufacturers to in the past).
They indeed do look very convincing. But seriously, take a piece of glass (or your LCD, if it's clean enough to see a reflection) and place a pen (or a keyboard) in front of it. Then, look from the same angle as the picture was taken and you'll see that the reflection in the third picture is turned too much to be real.

Nacente
Aug 27, 2004, 04:00 PM

Seem real now.
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Evan_11  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 04:53 PM

Looks like a prototype to me. Too plain to be released as an actual Apple product. Heck my Samsung display is sexier. Though I could see them cutting back on manufacturing costs this way.

I still say that it will look like the new cinema displays. They look great and have similar appeal as the original Powerbook G4 did.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Nacente:
Too thin foor me
He likes them to have a li'l more beef on 'em.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Nacente:
Seem real now.
The images don't have to be manipulated to be fakes. All someone has to do is take any lcd screen, stick it in a cinema display or 17" pb box, and you've got something similar to what we have here.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 06:10 PM

The next few days should be really exciting. Sadly, I'm betting a lot of mac users will actually lose sleep... I mentioned this in another thread, but wasn't the iMac G4 leaked early by Time (Canada edition?) magazine last time... I'm betting we'll be seeing similar coverage this time around as well...

Its an exciting time to be a mac user, and it only gets better from here on out!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
There's a long thread over at Appleinsider dicussing these pictures, and there is now a third picture available. They don't appear to be fakes at this moment (especially the third photo) but who knows? I'm not saying it's the new iMac, but the third photo is exceedingly convincing compared to the first two.

(Hopefully mentioning an AI thread won't get me banished for life! )

*edit* The third picture.
Convincing of what? That some jerk is trying to convince us that a no name LCD is the new iMac? Nothing about this picture looks like an apple product, except for the Powerbook box they say this thing came in. FAKE!!!!!
20" iMac G5 2GB RAM, 933Mhz 14" iBook G4 640MB RAM.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by rixter55:
Convincing of what? That some jerk is trying to convince us that a no name LCD is the new iMac? Nothing about this picture looks like an apple product, except for the Powerbook box they say this thing came in. FAKE!!!!!
Not that it's an iMac G5 or anything, but check out this pic of the same thing. Looks like a tiny Apple logo on the base [edit: at the top]

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/imac...hot-020385.php

Yes, it could be fake, but at least they tried.

rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Not that it's an iMac G5 or anything, but check out this pic of the same thing. Looks like a tiny Apple logo on the base [edit: at the top]

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/imac...hot-020385.php

Yes, it could be fake, but at least they tried.
If this ends up being the new iMac, I will be very disappointed. This has none of the style that Apple has made their trademark. If they have abandoned style for utility, then this thing had better have some serious features to attract buyers.

I, for one, require more than a tiny Apple logo to convince me of the legitimacy of this photo as evidence of the G5 iMac. One possibility I have read is that this item is a standard plasma TV display such as is used in Apple Stores (behind the Genius Bar, here in Seattle). Perhaps the Apple booths at the Expo will be using displays of this sort. That might explain why this unit would be under less security as might be expected for the new iMac. The Apple logo could simply be something Apple added for their own use, so as not to endorse a competitor's product at a trade show.

I'm quite sure that Apple is enjoying this debate, and is rethinking the security of their items as they are shipped for trade shows. Airport staff should not be free to examine, and photograph items they are entrusted to handle. I do hope the photographer is prepared to find work elsewhere.

If these photos were, in fact, of the new iMac, Apple legal would have been all over these forums like stink on sh*t to have them removed post haste. That has not occurred.

It certainly has been fun reading all of the emotional reactions to these pics, however. The anticipation is KILLING me!!

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 11:57 AM

I am just wondering how this design is better for cooling a G5 chip than the current iMac. Perhaps the entire back of the case is meshed or grilled to allow ventilation of the G5.

Personally, I like the current design very much. Wrap it in aluminum, put the G5 in there, and I would be satisfied.

I am sure the new design (whatever it may be) will be breathtaking in typical Apple fashion. It must be fun being an Apple designer!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 05:11 PM

Awwww, to heck with it. If it has an upgradeable graphics card, it could be in a beige Apple ][ case for all I care.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by rixter55:
It doesn't even look like an LCD. Unless they put glass on the front of it. None of my LCDs reflect that much. It looks like a flat screen TV.

rixter55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 08:27 PM

The original poster of the "Elevator" pics of the supposed new iMac has come clean. It was a hoax. A 20" LaCie LCD monitor in a Powerbook box. Let us rest assured, the new iMac will be much more exciting than this sad attempt at fooling the faithful.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2004, 08:53 PM

More mock ups...

Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 09:10 PM

Personally, I assume it's a fake or it's not the new iMac.

The anticipation is killing me, too. I'm really bummed out about the AppleInsider story claiming this is going to be another AIO LCD thing. I just hope to God they're wrong, or that maybe this is being confused with some other Apple product (tablet?). I am dying for a simple, headless Mac like the old pizza boxes, with standard, replaceable/upgradeable parts and no built-in display. However, I'm fully prepared for another AIO, so I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

It's also killing me that this thing will be announced while I'm sleeping. I want to be watching the webcast as this thing is unveiled. (Will it be webcast?) I won't be able to sleep that night. It'll start at 4am EST, I believe. At least I'll know that when I do wake up, I'll have my answer.

No matter what happens, I'm ready to purchase. I'll either grab this new iMac or a PowerMac. I'm much prefer an iMac, but my guess is that it will not be what I want and will be forced (again) to pay for way more than I need. I'm got to think, though, that very few of Apple's potential new customers will be in the position to get a PowerMac if the iMac doesn't meet their needs - they'll just get a PC.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
It's also killing me that this thing will be announced while I'm sleeping. I want to be watching the webcast as this thing is unveiled. (Will it be webcast?) I won't be able to sleep that night. It'll start at 4am EST, I believe. At least I'll know that when I do wake up, I'll have my answer.
to be honest, I had difficutly sleeping the night before WWDC. The shitey thing about living in Australia, is you have to wait to the 1st here to see what happened on the 31st in America.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 03:30 PM

The guy who took it admitted it was a LaCie LCD in a powerbook box.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Nacente
Aug 29, 2004, 04:21 PM

Ah yes....as I said: it was too thin
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

jcadam
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
More mock ups...
That looks silly. But I kind of like it. Although I think I would prefer a cube to a hemisphere.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 05:15 PM

More mock ups...
Pffffff
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 06:42 PM

Isn't the Disney computer and the Apple Imac (concept) all designed by Frog?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 05:31 AM

More mock ups...
Danger Will Robinson!

That looks like the Jupiter V from the original Lost in Space (especially with the reflection).
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Aug 30, 2004, 05:37 PM

not long to go now !

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
not long to go now !

Lol .. hehe .. they shoulda just took a picture of a cinema display .. i mean .. then it'd look spot on!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules