Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther lockup!

Panther lockup!
Lakercj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 03:57 AM

I am having a big problem with Panther. I have performed a clean install. I am having a situation where if the disk is in high use, or i am listening to music with iTunes the system just locks up completely and I am unable to do anything exept restart. Has anyone else had this problem?
Chris

freddyr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 05:34 AM

I've also had two lockups in a week (I'm a Select developer), also after a clean install. The machine just freezes, it's not a kernel panic.
This seemed to happen each time not long after the machine was awaken from sleep, and while Fast User Switching was heavily used.
My machine is an iMac G4 17" 800Mhz. The only third party driver I have installed is version 1.5.1 of the Griffin PowerMate driver. I'll try disabling it to see if it helps.
Frederic

Lakercj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 08:20 AM

The only 3rd party driver I have is the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB.. hope thats not doing it or ill have to pay for a new modem

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Lakercj:
The only 3rd party driver I have is the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB.. hope thats not doing it or ill have to pay for a new modem
Well the Alcatel drivers have always been the crappiest. With earlier versions, a KP after a few hours use was fairly inevitable.

Really, do yourself a favour and get yourself a Connexant ADSL Modem from Dabs for about �40 - there is also a version with a 4 port 100BaseT switcher built in (so you can easily share your connection) for just a few $'s more . . .

Anyway, this modem doesn't require drivers, connecting as it does via Ethernet. Performance is a little better than the Frog, plus there is no cpu load, again unlike the frog.

Just do it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules