Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Google Chrome (the browser)

Google Chrome (the browser)
macbear85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 08:14 PM

Love it! I want it on my Mac!!!!!!

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 08:17 PM

Why?

Is this spam?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

macbear85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 08:18 PM

not spam, it's a cool, fast browser

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 08:20 PM

Noticeably faster than Safari? What's cool about it?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

macbear85  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2009, 08:30 PM

Don't use Safari on my mac, I prefer Firefox. Chrome isn't out for macs yet :/ I use it at work; it's faster than Firefox and IE, has an appealing interface, history search is cool, the tab dragging feature is pretty dope...still playing around and figuring it out.

Google Chrome

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by macbear85 View Post
Don't use Safari on my mac, I prefer Firefox. Chrome isn't out for macs yet :/ I use it at work; it's faster than Firefox and IE, has an appealing interface, history search is cool, the tab dragging feature is pretty dope...still playing around and figuring it out.

Google Chrome
The alpha (think it hasn't reached beta yet) for Chrome on the Mac is available. It's quite, um, unpolished, but it is available for those who want to take it for a spin.

I don't use any third-party browsers anymore. Not sure why, but I've been using Safari as my #1 choice for several months now.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 09:46 PM

I altered the title of this thread to reflect that it's about the browser, not the OS Google is working on-with the same name, apparently...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 08:44 AM

I'm looking forward to trying Chrome, especially since it separates each tab into its own process. That would have come in handy in Safari 4.0.1, which consistently crashed because of one site. Had Safari been using tab/process isolation, only that tab would have crashed, leaving the rest of the tabs and my browser running. If you want to try out what Chrome might be like on the Mac, you can try Stainless.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2009, 03:24 PM

I like the Chrome UI and a couple usability items, but yet another webkit browser with weak/non-existent plugin support? Uhh yea not so useful, I'll stick with Firesucks.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 03:32 PM

Chrome will support plugins, but I don't expect it to be ready day one.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 10, 2009, 03:37 PM

the tab dragging feature is pretty dope
What can Chrome do that Firefox or Safari can't? In Firefox, you can drag tabs between open windows. In Safari, you can drag a tab down an make it open itself in a new window. Google's site didn't make it sound like it could do anything else.

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by IronPen View Post
I'm looking forward to trying Chrome, especially since it separates each tab into its own process. That would have come in handy in Safari 4.0.1, which consistently crashed because of one site. Had Safari been using tab/process isolation, only that tab would have crashed, leaving the rest of the tabs and my browser running. If you want to try out what Chrome might be like on the Mac, you can try Stainless.
I can't say I'm impressed by that feature; Firefox has it and if I'm doing heavy research with 15+ tabs open FF crashes like a fiend. At least Safari doesn't utilise all my system resources by launching each tab as a process.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 10, 2009, 04:07 PM

Google Chrome
Have you tried the new Firefox 3.5? It's also fast. I believe the tab dragging feature was on Firefox before Chrome so Chrome shouldn't take credit for it. Anyway I have several browsers installed so I welcome new innovative browsers but Chrome doesn't seem to have anything dramatically different than other browsers.

It's also not available for Mac so right now it's almost a pointless discussion. I have used it on Windows a few times and from those uses it just felt like most other browsers. There wasn't anything dramatically compelling for me to switch.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2009, 04:20 PM

FF doesn't isolate each tab into its own process. That is a feature planned for a future release. It isn't a feature I have to have, but there are times I wish Safari had it, and in time I am sure Webkit/Safari will see this feature since other browsers are doing it. But for me, Safari is great, especially with SafariStand.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2009, 07:54 PM

Java does not run on 4.0.249.30 beta
45/47

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 08:04 PM

I like Chrome's version of tabs-in-the-titlebar. It looks a lot nicer than that Safari beta did when they tried it.

What I don't like is Chrome's having the whole location be the Google search field instead of having a separate field for that like Safari and Firefox do. I do like its support of search keywords, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2009, 11:45 PM

I've been using Chrome in XP for a while now, it's a very visually appealing and efficient browser. More advanced web users might want the flexibility of Firefox, but I like two things in a browser: speed and a clean interface.

I'll have the check out the Mac version.

mkerr64
Senior User
Dec 10, 2009, 12:23 PM

R.I.P Steve Jobs

j.donald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2009, 12:36 PM

total fan of chrome , i love the fact that we cannot have any tools below the task bar , that simplifies the browsing,
and my personal experience is youtube and other sites load faster in chrome.

see it to believe it !!!!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 02:28 PM

command+shift+b gets rid of the bookmarks bar and only displays when you open a new tab. I think I like that idea, but to each their own on that.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2009, 02:46 PM

I would love it some more if it could import Safari cookies.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2009, 12:02 AM

Until Chrome is 1Passwd and SpeedDownload compatible I'm not interested.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 09:36 AM

Chrome is a good browser. It's very fast and uncluttered. This is a decent beta.

Omniweb's my main browser though.
i look in your general direction

Rumor
Jan 25, 2010, 10:53 PM

Is it possible to transfer my saved passwords from Safari to Chrome? I suppose I could use xmarks, but I am not quite comfortable having them all stored on their server.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2010, 09:39 AM

Chrome uses the Mac OS Keychain. You should see a pop-up from the OS when Chrome wants to access your Keychain. If you allow Chrome to access it, you shouldn't have to enter passwords on sites that already have your password saved in the Keychain. I have had some cases where I had to enter my userID before it would populate the password on some sites, and in a few rare cases I have had to enter ID and password even though I was fairly certain that I had saved them in my Keychain already. I don't use Chrome enough at the moment to know all of the intricacies, so maybe someone else can offer more of an explanation. But this is what I remember from my experiences thus far. It is a good browser and I like it a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing the first official non-beta release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules