Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 57)
P
Jun 10, 2013, 02:10 PM

Kickstarter. All the cool kids are doing it.

Also, I think Sony and MS would fight for an exclusive if the half-finished game looked good enough and had a solid team behind it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2013, 04:16 PM

No mention of the announced $499 price point on the xbox 1!!!!1!1!one

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
No mention of the announced $499 price point on the xbox 1!!!!1!1!one
I was waiting for Dakar, but I guess he's on holiday or something.

Titanfall looks like Halo + CoD, BF4 looks like B3 + new maps.

Yawn.

P
Jun 10, 2013, 04:49 PM

Too many liveblogs today, and the Sony one will happen far too late for me.

Xbox $499 price does not surprise me much, but it will be very interesting to see if Sony can undercut them. I'm guessing no, but they have been appropriately humble recently - might happen.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2013, 06:01 PM

With a $399 sticker I could have been persuaded to go with Xbox, but at this point I have to say this is a final nail in that coffin. If the PS4 is similarly priced I'd rather spend several hundred dollars more and build a gaming PC...

Also, it would be nice to offer a cheaper non-kinect model, for people who...you know, hate motion controls.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 07:39 PM

I'm with you sek. The $499 price tag will prevent me from buying a new xbox. If Sony doesn't offer a PS4 with a cheaper pricetag, I may go with building my own gaming PC or see what Valve does with the Steam Box.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2013, 09:49 PM

$500 is just too much to ask for. Hello! You'd think they'd be smart enough to avoid the curse of the $500 system. It never works! Seriously, why can't they offer a model without having to shove motion gaming down our throats? I'll wait for a price drop before even thinking about getting one.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2013, 10:00 PM

Free games coming to X-Box 360 Gold subscribers + New design for the 360

New design but no price change

As a gesture of thanks to the millions of Xbox fans around the world for their passion and loyalty, Xbox announced that every Xbox Live Gold subscriber will receive two free Xbox 360 games per month until the release of Xbox One, starting with a pair of popular titles: “Halo 3” and “Assassin’s Creed II.” And to celebrate E3 in the month of June, Xbox Live Gold members will receive a free download of “Fable III.”
I'm down for some free games.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2013, 10:58 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 11:08 PM

It's official. PS4 will be priced $100 lower than the Xbox One. No restrictions on used games and no "always online" requirement.

Well played Sony. Well played.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 11:12 PM

Will the PS4 play PS3 games? $60 annual fee to play online multiplayer?
45/47

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 12:15 AM

So sek, does this mean you will be jumping ship over to the PS4 this next gen? If so, I'll be right behind ya.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 12:34 AM

Let's just look at the lineup here.

Cheaper, not-always connected, used/trading games friendly, and no motion device shoved down my throat. Not to mention the hardware quality gap between the PS3 and 360 was embarrassing for this gen.

Microsoft just lost a loyal Xbox customer, more importantly, a 10-year Xbox Live subscriber as well. A media center is not my primary reason for buying a gaming system....playing f**king games is. In a recent Yahtzee vid he said the only reason to buy a console is when it not just has something you want, but is holding it hostage unil you cave in. Kinect, Cable DVR, social media, etc.... will not sell me a console, exclusive games that I am dying to play will. Destiny is cross platform, as is every other conceivable game I will want to play. Get me to the gaming-out stage without dicking me around and you've got a sale.

I hope FattyMcBlobicus isn't taken on PSN

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 01:08 AM

PS4 looking like a winner at this point. Still a lot of things to consider, but I'm definitely leaning to PS4 at this point.

The streaming of PS2/PS3 games looks like an awesome feature to me. Looking forward to replaying all of the Ratchet and Clank series

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 01:13 AM

CrosbiePSN here we come. Us gamers are fickle bunch, it's amazing how fast the tide change changed. One of my buddies who was an xbox 360 fanboy already pre-ordered his PS4 on Amazon.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 01:14 AM

Welcome, brothers.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 AM

Clam down, Sony still has months to change my mind.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 01:30 AM

Clam down, Sony still has months to change my mind.

Nope. Come, now...give us a hug.

Bring it in, bring it in...

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2013, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Let's just look at the lineup here.

Microsoft just lost a loyal Xbox customer, more importantly, a 10-year Xbox Live subscriber as well. A media center is not my primary reason for buying a gaming system....playing f**king games is. In a recent Yahtzee vid he said the only reason to buy a console is when it not just has something you want, but is holding it hostage unil you cave in. Kinect, Cable DVR, social media, etc.... will not sell me a console, exclusive games that I am dying to play will. Destiny is cross platform, as is every other conceivable game I will want to play. Get me to the gaming-out stage without dicking me around and you've got a sale.
Seriously well said Fatty! I feel the exact same way and I'm seriously disappointed because I love the 360! I'm almost ready to jump ship. Microsoft is making some huge mistakes with the pricing and shoving all this unnecessary extra crap down our throats!. I haven't owned a Playstation console since the first one. Never thought M$ would be this stupid.

At least they're committed to supporting the 360 for at least another year after One's launch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 02:24 AM

In all seriousness, Microsoft's missteps have centered around one alarming principle: valuing the publishers' concerns far greater than respecting their customers.

Yes, I get that used games "steal" a ton of profit from the publishers.
Yes, I get that piracy is an issue (though not as great as they'd have you think).
Yes, I get that "most" North American gamers have broadband access.

But the moves Microsoft made imply an intrinsic distrust of the customer, and completely disregarded those without consistent Internet service. Even if Microsoft came out and said, "Just kidding! $399," or, "Just kidding! Used games are okay, and no online check-ins!" there would still be this bitter taste in the mouths of consumers.

P
Jun 11, 2013, 04:27 AM

I think that publishers will still try to block sales of used games on the PS4 somehow, but if Sony won't block first-party games, then at least that's something.

Still, it looks like Sony has a plan. Remember that the Xbox was only ever in a good position in North America - it had nothing in Japan and was struggling in Europe. With the Wii U having problems and MS focusing its TV efforts in the US (which I don't know, but that's the way they usually do it), Sony might very well sweep the rest of the world by default. Main issue there is that €399 translates into $530 at the moment.

P
Jun 11, 2013, 05:15 AM

Checking through a few comment threads. The Internet is truly in love with Sony right now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 06:01 AM

That price is low enough for me to get the PS4 and do gaming on my yet-to-be-delivered-PC. It won't be a day one purchase, but apart from Forza, I won't miss the Xbox.

Bravo Sony, really bravo.

Prediction : Loads of sales in Europe and Asia. I still see the US as primarily Xbox.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 07:50 AM

Sony won E3!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 09:44 AM

I already preordered on Amazon. Also the PS4 is region free like the PS3 so imports are a go once again too.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Still, it looks like Sony has a plan. Remember that the Xbox was only ever in a good position in North America - it had nothing in Japan and was struggling in Europe. With the Wii U having problems and MS focusing its TV efforts in the US (which I don't know, but that's the way they usually do it), Sony might very well sweep the rest of the world by default. Main issue there is that €399 translates into $530 at the moment.
Agreed. From the 'business' perspective Sony seems to be positioning itself well.

I'm still kinda shocked with disbelief at how Microsoft, within the span of a month has managed to so badly tarnish their XBox brand. The 'artificial' audience feedback at the XBO reveal and the enthusiastic audience response at Sony's E3 conference says it all.

Sony's unexpected advantage seems to have come from the missteps of its competitors.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 11:40 AM

Bets on MS lowering the price?

P
Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sure. Put me down for the Jan-Feb timeframe when they see the holiday sales.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2013, 02:50 PM

I'm pretty sure they're going to lower they're price.

Even if they don't I haven't seen anything yet that would cause me not to buy an Xbox One. $499. Hell that's cheaper than my iPad, and I'm going to be buying a new iPad (my iPad 1 is starting to show it's age). I mean you should only have to purchase the system once (or twice if you want/need 2 systems).
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 11, 2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I hope FattyMcBlobicus isn't taken on PSN

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 06:58 PM

How easily you all forget Sony's update debacles and hacked infrastructure. There's still a lot of questions to be answered before I'm ready to give either one of these corps my money.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 PM

Bets on if M$ lowers the price quicker than Nintendo lowering the price on the 3DS?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2013, 12:21 AM

How easily you all forget Sony's update debacles and hacked infrastructure. There's still a lot of questions to be answered before I'm ready to give either one of these corps my money.
We forget indeed...

Microsoft execs' Xbox Live accounts hacked, investigation still underway

Xbox Live hacked, accounts stolen | ZDNet

Xbox Live Hacked by Anonymous, Microsoft Working on Fix

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Even if they don't I haven't seen anything yet that would cause me not to buy an Xbox One. $499. Hell that's cheaper than my iPad, and I'm going to be buying a new iPad (my iPad 1 is starting to show it's age). I mean you should only have to purchase the system once (or twice if you want/need 2 systems).
Kinect watching you scratching your balls, telling you what adverts to watch, need to connect once every 24 hours - all that is OK with you? Besides Titanfall and Forza there is nothing that would cause me to buy an Xbox ONE. Add in the XBL Gold price, the console price, MS telling me how they are going to control my viewing, and the intrusiveness = a new Sony customer.

Xbox 360 reliability at launch?

EDIT : just learned that you'll have to pay for on-line with Sony :

Gamers are also going to have to pay to play online. You already have to with Microsoft, and at launch Sony will require online players to pay for a PlayStation Plus membership for $50, which will also work on a PS3 and PlayStation Vita.
From here : Sony sucker-punches Xbox on price, specs, DRM-free gaming • The Register
( Last edited by mattyb; Jun 12, 2013 at 03:48 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2013, 08:11 AM

As much of a PlayStation advocate as I've been, I don't really have a personal investment in the company. I've simply enjoyed their products more based on my own personal tastes. I enjoy Uncharted a lot more than Halo, for instance.

But unless Microsoft backpedals on stuff like daily DRM check-ins (which they can't at this point), I almost feel that there's an ethical obligation to refuse support for the product. I'm not going to join any viral crusade, but I'll vote with my dollars. Even a few weeks ago, I was still committed to eventually buying both systems — now I'm not so sure.

A side note: the strange connect between Mojang and Microsoft doesn't feel very Mojang-ish. It seems weird that the ultra-nerd, open-minded Notch and his crew are such bedfellows with the big M.

P
Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 AM

Today's Penny Arcade is very appropriate. I love these fourth wall strips.

But unless Microsoft backpedals on stuff like daily DRM check-ins (which they can't at this point), I almost feel that there's an ethical obligation to refuse support for the product.
Why can't they backpedal on that? Should be easy enough to do - just make it so the console can be offline mode for everything except registering new games, with a forced check-in once a month or so to make sure that games you sold are actually unregistered from your machine. I don't think that that's the big deal it is being portrayed as, though - the big deal is the price tag.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2013, 10:53 AM

Away from the MS/Sony stuff, the organisers don't like OUYA having their stand in the car park

E3 organizers set the fuzz on OUYA over parking lot cheekiness

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 12:33 PM

Check this out... Xbox One won't hit Asia until late 2014

Apparently Microsoft will be going for a staggered release, and that Asia won't be getting the XBO until late 2014.

What are they thinking? I wonder if they realize that they are conceding one of the main growth areas for tech to Sony.

Crazy decisions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2013, 02:53 PM

My knee-jerk guess is they can't make enough in time for a worldwide release.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 PM

Kinect watching you scratching your balls, telling you what adverts to watch, need to connect once every 24 hours - all that is OK with you?
I can always unplug the Kinect (has Microsoft said anything about not having it connected?) or cover it up. Besides, I'm always dressed when I'm on my couch. They wanna watch me scratch my balls, go ahead.

Need to conect once every 24 hours. That should be ok. I'm in a big city. The internet isn't going to go out for days and if it does, it's time to complain.

Besides Titanfall and Forza there is nothing that would cause me to buy an Xbox ONE.
One of the reason I came to Xbox was for HALO. the other was because everyone I knew was on it, but I really don't play with anyone I know. They're into sports games or don't play as much as I do.

Add in the XBL Gold price, the console price, MS telling me how they are going to control my viewing, and the intrusiveness = a new Sony customer.
XBL has been more reliable than Sony's network. Do we not remember Sony's network problems? As for the price, I've always found a deal. $39.99 on sale usually, instead of $59.99. Best Buy or Futureshop have usually been good at putting it on sale.

Heck, now I finally get Blu-ray.

As for all the multimedia, the only thing I use on the Xbox is Youtube. I go to my cable box for everything else.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Check this out... Xbox One won't hit Asia until late 2014

Apparently Microsoft will be going for a staggered release, and that Asia won't be getting the XBO until late 2014.

What are they thinking? I wonder if they realize that they are conceding one of the main growth areas for tech to Sony.

Crazy decisions.
I guess they can't make enough.

And if you can't make enough, you might as well please your best market which is the US, Canada, and Europe.

Why release at the same time in Asia, when Asia is mostly PS fans.

But it is going to hurt them.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2013, 04:20 PM

Just checked the launch dates of the Xbox 360, and except for Japan, the Xbox 360 was launched 3-4 months later in the Asian markets.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 04:25 PM

I can always unplug the Kinect (has Microsoft said anything about not having it connected?) or cover it up. Besides, I'm always dressed when I'm on my couch. They wanna watch me scratch my balls, go ahead.
IIUC Xbox ONE won't work if the Kinect is disconnected. I hope that covering it up will be enough, but I bet they've thought of that one.

One of the reason I came to Xbox was for HALO. the other was because everyone I knew was on it, but I really don't play with anyone I know. They're into sports games or don't play as much as I do.
Titanfall is also PC (just found out), so that's only Forza that I'd miss.

XBL has been more reliable than Sony's network. Do we not remember Sony's network problems? As for the price, I've always found a deal. $39.99 on sale usually, instead of $59.99. Best Buy or Futureshop have usually been good at putting it on sale.

Heck, now I finally get Blu-ray.

As for all the multimedia, the only thing I use on the Xbox is Youtube. I go to my cable box for everything else.
Has XBL been more reliable? Or are us XBL users just remembering the hack - yes I realise that it was a BIG hack, but have there been other major issues?

So now that Sony are charging to play online, I guess this is moot. Hopefully there will be the same discounts from the ebays and whatnot.

MS wants you to use the Xbox ONE for everything, and I have a feeling that behind these stupid decisions there is some sort of master plan that some twat in MS has shat out to compete against Google. I have a feeling that the Kinect logging everything you do is a big part of that master plan.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2013, 05:00 PM

XBL has definitely been way more reliable than PSN to date.

P
Jun 12, 2013, 05:02 PM

I guess they can't make enough.
What can't they make enough of? Everything is commodity except the SOC, and that one is two standard CPU blocks, a standard GPU and that enormous eSRAM. Big chip yes, but both memory and the GPU is easy to overprovision and the CPU segment is tiny. If that chip is the limiting factor on a two year old process, they have done something very wrong in the design.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2013, 06:16 PM

Plus at $499 I don't expect the machine to be flying off the shelves.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2013, 09:22 AM

Why can't they backpedal on that? Should be easy enough to do - just make it so the console can be offline mode for everything except registering new games, with a forced check-in once a month or so to make sure that games you sold are actually unregistered from your machine. I don't think that that's the big deal it is being portrayed as, though - the big deal is the price tag.
"Can't" was probably the wrong word. Maybe I should have used "won't."

And they won't because their hubris is off-the-charts. There's no way their pride will allow them to crawfish out of this.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2013, 09:45 AM

If I was them and this used game thing was still affecting sales after a year I release the XBoxOneUnleashed without the limits.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2013, 09:52 AM

What can't they make enough of?
I was just assuming they are limited by the number that can be assembled. Ie. I assume they're using the same assembler that assembles their current Xbox 360, and although they aren't producing anymore Xbox 360s, that they are limited to maybe double (triple) what they currently assemble.

Every store is going to want enough stock of these and with them releasing before the holiday season they won't keep up.

The question is what do they mean by late 2014, is that spring, summer,... fall? By February or March, they should be able to keep up to demand.

But then, maybe P and Stogie may be right. These machines won't be flying off the shelves, and the Xbox 360 was limited in quantity due to the CPU... didn't they have CPU yield problems with the Xbox 360? So they'll have lots of Xbox One's sitting on the shelf.
MacBook Pro

P
Jun 13, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
"Can't" was probably the wrong word. Maybe I should have used "won't."

And they won't because their hubris is off-the-charts. There's no way their pride will allow them to crawfish out of this.
If they can blink on the Start button in Windows 8, they can blink on this. If it turns out that they lose the Holiday season 2013 badly to Sony, something will have to change. This is one easy thing. The price is another - MS is no stranger to taking a bath on the console. The basic setup about Steam-like licenses is much harder to change, I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules