Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 97)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2014, 01:02 PM

Someone on reddit had a fanatastic idea: It'd be cool if there was a way to have backlighting behind your TV reflect the color of your PS controller LED. For games like GTA where it flashes red and blue when you're being chased by the cops, the effect would be intense.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2014, 03:08 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2014, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Someone on reddit had a fanatastic idea: It'd be cool if there was a way to have backlighting behind your TV reflect the color of your PS controller LED. For games like GTA where it flashes red and blue when you're being chased by the cops, the effect would be intense.
I'd much prefer this:
Lightpack — ambient backlight for your displays by Woodenshark

To be compatible with any HDMI source. Seems like it's an HDCP issue preventing it right now.

Above all, I want that IllumiRoom thing microsoft demoed a while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6SJnpBfdBs

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I'd much prefer this:
Lightpack — ambient backlight for your displays by Woodenshark

To be compatible with any HDMI source. Seems like it's an HDCP issue preventing it right now.
My only concern is anything that goes between the TV and PS4 likely introduces lag.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2014, 08:54 PM

Same thing that happened with Destiny, apparently, but The Crew is truly going to suck.

P
Nov 28, 2014, 05:51 AM

Ubisoft gives away free DLC and even free games to early buyers of AC:U and its season pass. Kuchera pretty much echoes my feelings on the matter.

Ubisoft shipped a broken game you can't return, free DLC doesn't make it right | Polygon
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2014, 06:50 PM

As long as people continue to preorder why should they change anything they do? They get the money upfront and can pretty much do what they like, with no urgency to fix anything in a timely manner.

P
Nov 29, 2014, 05:54 PM

Sure. The only winning move is not to preorder.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ubisoft gives away free DLC and even free games to early buyers of AC:U and its season pass. Kuchera pretty much echoes my feelings on the matter.

Ubisoft shipped a broken game you can't return, free DLC doesn't make it right | Polygon
I didn't read the article, so this may be covered, but everything I hear is that customers can refund the severely broken games we've been seeing. The BF4s, Driveclubs, AC: Unity's have been refunded by retail stores and the PSN store because their current state is literally broken. Further, any refusal on their part would be easily met by the BBB. People do have recourse with how ridiculous things have gotten.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
As long as people continue to preorder why should they change anything they do? They get the money upfront and can pretty much do what they like, with no urgency to fix anything in a timely manner.
Yeah, I've definitely pared back. I pre-ordered GTA V, but that was a known quantitity.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2014, 06:08 AM

PS4 20th Anniversary edition, in original PlayStation grey. A limited run of 12,300 consoles.Playstation celebrates its 20th birthday with a retro-themed, limited-edition PS4

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2014, 12:27 PM

Far Cry 4 patch on PS4 removed God Rays. Most likely a bug, but given the sensitivity to Ubi's parity on Unity, really an ill-timed one.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2014, 03:00 PM

Sure. The only winning move is not to preorder.
I've stopped pre-ordering stuff as I just don't have the time to play games on day 1.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
PS4 20th Anniversary edition, in original PlayStation grey. A limited run of 12,300 consoles.Playstation celebrates its 20th birthday with a retro-themed, limited-edition PS4

Oh wow! 20 years already? Man I feel old! I remember getting PS1 on launch day with Ridge Racer! I traded in 3 16bit systems with 9 games and got $300 credit at Software Etc. It remains the only Sony console I've ever owned to this day. My brother Stogie bought a Virtual Boy I believe on the same day. You still got that broski?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 12:41 AM

I gotta ask… is this in any way accurate?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 4, 2014, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
got $300 credit at Software Etc.
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I think the Software Etc in the mall where I grew up is what eventually became GameStop.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 12:21 PM

I feel like this is comment worthy: DICE posted an update for BF4 today. 3.1 GB. Included fixes:
- Fix for a commonly occurring crash
That's it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 01:11 PM

Thats a serious patch.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2014, 04:07 PM

I feel like this is comment worthy: DICE posted an update for BF4 today. 3.1 GB. Included fixes:

That's it.
I call shenanigans!!!!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I think the Software Etc in the mall where I grew up is what eventually became GameStop.
As with all the Software Etc stores and all Electronics Boutique stores.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2014, 06:28 PM

[IMG]snip[/IMG]
Over simplifies a lot but there are legitimate points, like how Colonel Autumn is at the end of Vault 87 to steal the GECK. You come in through a secret tunnel behind the day care and the main entrance sustained a direct nuke. You can actually visit the 87 entrance in the overworld, but at 6000-7000 rads/sec (10/sec is high) you die very fast. I assume he is alive due to Enclave science and medicine reviving him from the exposure at Project Purity, but how he shows up deep within Vault 87 is a mystery to me.

P
Dec 5, 2014, 06:23 AM

I honestly don't remember the details, but the ending is that the good guys want to turn on the water purifier to provide water to everyone for free, and the Enclave folks want to control the water supply to extend their control over the Capital wasteland. In the DLC, there are caravans distributing free, clean water as a result of your victory.

The FO3 story isn't very good, and the forced ending is just plain bad. What is good about it is running around in the ruins of DC and seeing what you might find. New Vegas' story is a massive improvement. It has the usual Obsidian issue of having bad guys that are easy to hate (in NV, they're slavers wanting to enslave everyone they see and crucify anyone who resists) but good guys that are conflicted and not entirely likable either, but it is still probably the best open world storyline I've seen. Even the DLC works to enhance the story.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2014, 11:15 AM

P
Dec 5, 2014, 11:55 AM

Because of the obvious superiority of the platforms it launches on, of course. Also because focusing on fewer platforms lets them make a better game. Totally not at all because Sony paid them to make it a console exclusive.

I have to say that this is slightly less shitty than the Tomb Raider thing, since this is at least doesn't make PC gamers collateral damage in the console war

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2014, 11:57 AM

What I'm saying is, why SF5? Its sales couldn't possibly justify moneyhatting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2014, 05:23 PM

YOou guys have been buzzing about this, so a link for you guys and when I get home.
Take A 30-Minute Behind-The-Scenes Tour Of No Man's Sky - Features - www.GameInformer.com

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2014, 03:24 PM

YOou guys have been buzzing about this, so a link for you guys and when I get home.
Take A 30-Minute Behind-The-Scenes Tour Of No Man's Sky - Features - www.GameInformer.com
This is the game that will make me buy a PS4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2014, 03:23 PM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2014, 03:47 PM

I've heard Sony had a hand in some of the development.

P
Dec 7, 2014, 07:39 PM

Capcom is now saying that there will be cross-platform play, PC against PS4, and since MS famously never allows this, they didn't mind dropping the Xbone. Not that I believe them for a second, but that would actually be a kinda sorta OK reason, if it were true.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2014, 12:06 AM

Oh wow! 20 years already? Man I feel old! I remember getting PS1 on launch day with Ridge Racer! I traded in 3 16bit systems with 9 games and got $300 credit at Software Etc. It remains the only Sony console I've ever owned to this day. My brother Stogie bought a Virtual Boy I believe on the same day. You still got that broski?
I stood in line for 16 hours for one, well worth it.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
This is the game that will make me buy a PS4.
I'm still unmoved. Mostly because I haven't seen actual gameplay.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I've heard Sony had a hand in some of the development.
Well, that makes sense then.

Capcom is now saying that there will be cross-platform play, PC against PS4, and since MS famously never allows this, they didn't mind dropping the Xbone. Not that I believe them for a second, but that would actually be a kinda sorta OK reason, if it were true.
Sounds plausible, as a controller (or joystick) is the preferred input method, meaning kb/m won't bestow any type of advantage.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I stood in line for 16 hours for one, well worth it.
I remember going to Babbage's and seeing how expensive they were. I still didn't know if they would be better than the SEGA Saturn. My brother and I eventually bought one, and it became my second-favorite system of all-time (PS2 is still king for me). Wonderful console.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2014, 12:38 PM

I bought one when it hit $129. Mostly to play NBA Live since sports games looked and played like ass on the N64.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 12:41 PM

In the year 2000...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2014, 12:44 PM

Seriously, aside from textures, that looks damn good to me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2014, 01:02 PM

I remember being blown away by it.

The only jarring oddity was the hands — a product of the limitations of the era, but still unsettling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 12:02 PM

Twitter says account wishing death and rape on Peter Moore's family isn't breaking rules | Polygon

Twitter says account wishing death and rape on Peter Moore's family isn't breaking rules
By Brian Crecente on Dec 10, 2014 at 8:42a @crecenteb

Electronic Arts chief operating officer Peter Moore took to Twitter last night to call out the social media site's system for banning abusive accounts after receiving threats against his family through the service.

"I get lots of these, but the threats to my wife and family spurred me to report this to Twitter," he wrote in one Tweet that included an image of Twitter's reply saying the account in question hadn't broken any of Twitter's rules.

We've reached out to Twitter for comment on the decision and will update this story when they respond.

Tweets from user @xbox_gamer87 included a flurry of vile threats and comments directed at Moore and his family, all seemingly spurred by the user's anger at EA's FIFA games:

"Hope your wife gets raped by Muslims. You've ruined FIFA your a disgrace."
"Hope ur wife dies in a ditch a ditch u scum. Hurry up and die u old prick."
"Hope your wife gets raped."
"u scum I hate you and everything related to u ... I hope u ur wife kids family all die then there's nothing left of u."

Moore noted that the user, who has been banned in the past, created a new account with the same real name.

"Here's the nonsense of twitter bans," he said in the tweet.
Someone's getting fired.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 12:34 PM

Driveclub weather effects
PS4 - Jiffier gifs through HTML5 Video Conversion.

I SURE WISH I COULD PLAY THIS GAME

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2014, 02:33 PM

Great piece. Jawbone will likely take notes. https://medium.com/message/playing-w...n-e5226ff0a7c3
I love games, and I genuinely wanted Eliot to love and appreciate them too. So, here was my experiment:

Start with the arcade classics and Atari 2600, from Asteroids to Zaxxon. After a year, move on to the 8-bit era with the NES and Sega classics. The next year, the SNES, Game Boy, and classic PC adventure games. Then the PlayStation and N64, Xbox and GBA, and so on until we’re caught up with the modern era of gaming.
This is also getting some of the dumbest comments I've ever read on NeoGAF.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2014, 09:45 AM

The new Uncharted has some graphical potential.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2014, 12:58 PM

Great piece. Jawbone will likely take notes. https://medium.com/message/playing-w...n-e5226ff0a7c3

This is also getting some of the dumbest comments I've ever read on NeoGAF.
I've already screwed up my 3-year-old. All he wants to play are iPad games.

Actually, I planned on introducing him to some of these classics. That was a pretty cool read.

It's the eyes.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2014, 12:59 PM

The eyes are a giant leap forward, but the musculature of the face shouldn't be short sold.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2014, 02:16 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2014, 03:46 PM

The eyes are a giant leap forward, but the musculature of the face shouldn't be short sold.
Does he have little lights inside his nostrils?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2014, 04:24 PM

"Your face is my case."

Sorry couldn't resist after seeing Jawbone's new sig picture.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
"Your face is my case."

Sorry couldn't resist after seeing Jawbone's new sig picture.
Attaboy!

"Look away, I'm hideous."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2014, 01:29 PM

Xbox One outsells PS4 in US for the first month since January | Ars Technica
Neither Microsoft, Sony, nor NPD shared specific units sales numbers for any of the systems, but GeekWire and The Verge both report sales of 1.2 million Xbox One systems for the month. NeoGAF user creamsugar, who has a history of leaking reliable NPD numbers, shared a cryptic, unlabeled pie chart that would suggest the PS4 (the second largest section of the chart) sold roughly two-thirds as well as the Xbox One for the month, representing about 800,000 units sold. These numbers are far from confirmed, but they are the best data we have at the moment.
The Dark Below DLC highlights the worst parts of Destiny | Ars Technica
What's frustrating is how that equipment is doled out. Even before the expansion launched, Bungie made sweeping changes to how Destiny’s loot is earned and upgraded. Legendary armor and weapons from The Dark Below have replaced vendors' inventory in the Tower and can now be purchased with combinations of the game's dozen or so currencies. They're not only better than anything in the Vault of Glass raid, but actually bring you past the original level cap of 30.

So, after those tens of hours bashing my head against The Vault of Glass and its myriad bugs, this week I was able to just buy a helmet with better stats than anything it could have given me at the time (even if I had been lucky enough to get it). In fact, the Vault of Glass loot hasn't been adjusted since the expansion's release. The only reasons to go back to that particular mission—previously the best part of Destiny—now are for nostalgia or completionism.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 12, 2014, 03:46 PM

The Ars reviewer is whining. What other expansion to a MMO makes sure that good gear you have pre-DLC is as good as it was post?

Did he have fun with the gear? Was he able to get through the next VoG run easier, thanks to the gear he had accumulated? So... where's the wasted time, exactly?

I guarantee VoG will get the new gear. I found a Legendary Engram yesterday, just wrecking crap in the Mothyards, and got a new piece of gear.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
The Ars reviewer is whining. What other expansion to a MMO makes sure that good gear you have pre-DLC is as good as it was post?
Well, I think the short of it is, if you don't like MMOs, this isn't for you. The long of it is a little more complicated. I feel the majority of gamers bought this because it was a bungie production. So they're in for a bit of a rough ride in that sense.

Destiny 2 should still outsell the shit out of this both on install base and brand familiarity. Destiny 3 is where the sales numbers might actually communicate if this has been more of a gaming success versus a business one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2014, 03:51 PM

Posting mostly because the quality is mind-boggling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules