Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Help Installing Quake 3 Arena

Help Installing Quake 3 Arena
midwinter
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 01:26 AM

So I've plowed through the forums here and elsewhere, and I can't seem to make it work. I have Q3A installed in classic. It plays in classic (with some lag and other weirdness). I'd like to have it installed in OS X.

Here's what I've done:

1) installed Q3A in classic.
2) Moved the Q3 folder to /Applications
3) Downloaded the latest patch (1.3.2?)
4) Moved the Quake3.app file to the Q3 folder
5) Double-clicked it and watched as it asks me again and again to "select retail installation"
6) Roamed around on the web and learned that I needed to move the pak0.pk3 file from the CD to the Quake folder
7) Double-clicked the Quake3.app file and watched as it asks me again and again to "select retail installation"
8) Roamed around on the web and learned that I needed to delete the quake preferences file. Did that.
9) Double-clicked the Quake3.app file and watched as it asks me again and again to "select retail installation"

So I'm stumped. Can someone walk me through how to get the OSX install of Q3A working?

Laurie
May 24, 2006, 09:29 PM

I have had the same problem and have tried all those things as well. I have combed the net up and down and am going crazy trying to update to 1.32. I am using 1.30 from Q3 Gold...WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!? Please can someone shed some light on this mystery?

Laurie
May 24, 2006, 09:31 PM

oh yeah, and is there any way to get a two-button mouse to work in q3 under classic? That (along with multiplayer) is a big reason that i need to update to X. I have tried quite a few things as well trying to get both buttons to work including installing logitech drivers, etc.

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 09:41 PM

you're gonna have to do a clean install of Q3A for your OS X version. i had the same problem. i followed the instructions at Quake3World.com mac section and everything worked great. the problem is now you can't get on ftp://idsoftware.com/ to get the OS X Quake3 1.32 installer

read this lots of mac Q3 info:
http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum...L/004500.html?

i googled for the Quake3-132.pkg.sit, that's the file you need
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

good luck!
( Last edited by Wulfi; Jun 3, 2006 at 09:53 PM. )

midwinter  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 04:08 AM

Managed to get it working. Here's what I did:

1) Install Q3A in classic. Make sure it plays.
2) Move the quake3 folder from the root of the drive over to the apps folder
3) Copy the *entire* contents of the baseq3 folder from the CD to the same folder on the quake3 folder on the hard drive
4) Maske sure it all still plays.
5) Go here and download the patch.
6) install the patch.
7) It will have installed a 10.1 directory inside your /applications/quake3 folder
8) Inside that folder, there should be Quake3 and Quake3 G4
9) Launch the appropriate icon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules