Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Need Help with Quake 4 Please???

Need Help with Quake 4 Please???
hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 09:31 PM

Hi I am trying to play Quake 4 online with my dual G5. When I choose a server some of the multiplayer games allow me to play and some others come with a message saying "Punkbuster needs to be enabled" and when I click OK I get aborted. What is Punkbuster and how do I enable it?
Another concern is some of the servers say I am missing files to play the game but the server doesn't offer them for download. Does anyone know where I can get these needed files?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2007, 02:39 PM

I didn't play Quake 4 multiplayer too much, didn't find too many servers and the map I played was a little hard to figure out, but I may be able to help.

Punkbuster is a tool for FPS games to detect players using cheats or hacks and boot them from the server. Therefore servers using punkbuster have less cheaters. I believe there is a check box in the server browser window or in the game preferences to enable punkbuster.

As for the missing files, those may be mods or user-made maps. I didn't know Quake 4 had user-made maps or mods. Unlike the Unreal Tournament series, the Quake series has never allowed in-game downloading of maps and mods. Another reason UT is so popular.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

hldan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I didn't play Quake 4 multiplayer too much, didn't find too many servers and the map I played was a little hard to figure out, but I may be able to help.

Punkbuster is a tool for FPS games to detect players using cheats or hacks and boot them from the server. Therefore servers using punkbuster have less cheaters. I believe there is a check box in the server browser window or in the game preferences to enable punkbuster.

As for the missing files, those may be mods or user-made maps. I didn't know Quake 4 had user-made maps or mods. Unlike the Unreal Tournament series, the Quake series has never allowed in-game downloading of maps and mods. Another reason UT is so popular.
Thanks Leonard. I will try your suggestion. I don't know about map downloads but many times I have played mutliplayer in Quake 4 (Mac version) and it required me to download missing files and I did once I pressed OK. I would see the files downloading from the server to me and the game would begin after several minutes of downloading.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 07:02 PM

Hmmm... there is apparently a version 1.4.2 of Quake 4 on the PC side and only a version 1.3 of Quake on the Mac side. That may be the problem, with the missing files.

You may want to contact Aspyr and see what their answer is.
MacBook Pro

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2007, 10:34 PM

quake 3 and 4 allow in game downloading.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 04:53 PM

Yes, I noticed that. But it's an option that is set by the server. The server decides whether to allow it or not and a good many don't allow it. Plus, do you want to allow the download? What is it downloading?
MacBook Pro

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 05:39 PM

usually it's maps but sometimes it's mods. there is a difference between Q3 and ut4 and ut. most Q3 servers don't have skins for d/l and other files. it's usually maps like i said. the ut's can have you d/ling all sorts of stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules