Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > difficulty shutting down

difficulty shutting down
lightbulb
May 27, 2000, 05:22 PM

Since installing OS9 and then OS 9.04, I've had difficulty shutting down my G4/400 properly. I always have to simply unplug the machine to shut it down. When I select shutdown from the menu, it just sits there and doesn't go further, altho the mouse no longer works (I can move the curser, but it won't select anything now).

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 27, 2000, 05:24 PM

what have you tried to fix it?

maybe zap the PRAM

lightbulb
May 27, 2000, 05:26 PM

I have tried that and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2000, 05:27 PM

Try trashing finder prefs.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 27, 2000, 05:29 PM

and there's an invisible file or folder (i forget which) that is called Shutdown Check, delete it

lightbulb
May 27, 2000, 05:29 PM

If I trash finder preferences what ramifications does that cause? Do I lose anything or need to reinstall anything?

lightbulb
May 27, 2000, 05:32 PM

How does one find an "invisible" folder? I did a search with sherlock and nothing came up.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 27, 2000, 05:48 PM

trashing pref's only means that you have to reset the pref's after restart, no big dael whatever

use sherlock to find an invisible file by using the Edit button to create special search criteria, i.e., invisible file (it is an invisible file) and when found use command-delete to trash it while in sherlock

lycaon
Forum Regular
May 27, 2000, 06:03 PM

Hi lightbulb,

Regarding the Finder Preferences: to see what you'll need to reset, make the Finder the front application (go to the desktop) and in the Edit menu, open up Preferences. Those three tabs, "General", "Views", "Labels" are the Finder's preferences.

If trashing either this or the Shutdown Check doesn't solve your shut down difficulties, you could try replacing the Finder itself (it may have been damaged).

To do this, you'll need a backup copy of the Finder. If you don't already have one then use TomeViewer to grab a copy from your OS9 cd.

When you have the backup copy on your HD, boot from your OS9 cd. Then replace the old Finder with the backup copy. Make sure that your HD is selected as your startup disk and restart.

But try the other suggestions first. If you have any questions, just ask.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules