Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" fan improvement with 10.2.4?

15" fan improvement with 10.2.4?
barbro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 10:28 AM

Hi there,

Have any 1GHZ 15" ti-book owners noticed that their fan is on less with 10.2.4? Not only is the right fan now off when charging (it was always on before), but my back fan now seems to take considerably more encouragement to kick in. Might just be a cold day today!

-Barry

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 16, 2003, 10:33 AM

why would an osX upgrade effect the fans behaviour?? It'll more likely be a firmware update.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by hipHippy:
why would an osX upgrade effect the fans behaviour?? It'll more likely be a firmware update.
It could be a firmware update that would effect change on the fan behavior, or it could be that an OS X update changes power management, which in turn changes the behavior of the fans.

Both are possibilities.

So, any 15" owners notice a difference with the OS update?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:

So, any 15" owners notice a difference with the OS update?
I haven't. The right fan stays on most of the time.

ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 12:15 PM

Neither have I, but then my fan is not constantly on anyway.

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 16, 2003, 12:44 PM

face it guys in terms of fan's the latest tiBook is a dog.

idyll
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 01:07 PM

Why do you have to keep on bragging about how bad the TiBook is, hipHippy?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
Why do you have to keep on bragging about how bad the TiBook is, hipHippy?
Because he's a f*cking troll.
We better ignore him.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 01:25 PM

I can't agree with your hippy... once my machine was repaird the fans are dead quiet.

Just admit it, you wanted the 17" once it was announced and now you do everything to convince yourself it was because the fans on the new TiBook was loud.

Have you gotten your beloved 17" PowerBook yet?? Waiting is a bitch, isn't it?
/Petra

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 16, 2003, 01:35 PM

oh Thanks for explaining that to me Petra, and yes the waiting is bitch, but no way near as bad as keeping the tiBook, how's your paint Petra, better not put it down too heavily !

ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by CyberPet:
I can't agree with your hippy... once my machine was repaird the fans are dead quiet.

Just admit it, you wanted the 17" once it was announced and now you do everything to convince yourself it was because the fans on the new TiBook was loud.

Have you gotten your beloved 17" PowerBook yet?? Waiting is a bitch, isn't it?
How long did it take to fix the fans? Mine aren't constantly on, but if they are its loud.

Oh and hipHippy, I love my Ti for its looks perfomance and everything else. Swapping to Aluminium is not even an issue for me. If Paint worries you then it WAS fixed on 867/1000. The only major problem is fans noise, but according to CyberPet its fixable, we are yet to see problems with Alu books. Battery life is the first candidate.

mcm4mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 02:01 PM

Yes! And it is not cold here in Pensacola, FL.

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 02:06 PM

Back to topic: to me it also seems improved...

Just unplugged the TiBook to check how the fans behave while charging... I had it on AC since 10.2.4

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 16, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by ivi:
If Paint worries you then it WAS fixed on 867/1000.
you are joking right???? The latest tiBooks are painted, therefore any model has the potential to shed paint. Why the hell do you think the new models are made from anodised aluminium!

huxbnw
Feb 16, 2003, 02:33 PM

aluminum = cheap, cheap for apple. get a clue.

hipHippy
Banned
Feb 16, 2003, 02:35 PM

aluminium = no paint, no paint, no paint !

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 02:44 PM

<off topic>
hippy, you just fail to get it. Not only in terms of the PowerBook, but also in terms of participating with others in a forum. This thread was questioning about improved fan performance under 10.2.4 until you threw out your trolling net.

There has not yet been one report on this or any other forum I've been on of paint problems on the 867 MHz / 1 GHz generation (model) of the TiBook. The current generation of TiBook is as solid as a notebook computer gets. Mine looks as great as it runs after 3 months of use, and I don't baby it at all other than to use a good sleeve for carrying it around. You may be also be happy to note that Jason Snell, an editor at MacWorld magazine, already managed to scuff his aluminum 12" PowerBook.

hippy, get over your whining and trolling to be banned once again. I look forward to the day you actually contribute something positive to the forum, whether it's as hippy5 or hippy500.
</off topic>

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

right now i'm charging and just finished watching a movie using mplayer osx. the little fan on the right is on, but i feel the tibook is warm on the underside. the big fan came on a little after finishing the movie to get some heat out. when charging is done the side fan will also kick down is my experience.

i'm running 10.2.4 but the differerence for the fans compared to 10.2.3 is negligable would be my impression... need some more testing to give a definative answer
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

vmarks or another moderator: would you mind banning hipHippy again? I know he'll just create another alias, but he continues to hijack threads like crazy and it's pretty disruptive. It doesn't bother me, but to the extent that he is raining on other new PowerBook owners' parade, it's extremely uncool.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 02:50 PM

No paint or fan problems at all here on my custom BTO 1 GHz PowerBook G4 Titanium.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by John123:
vmarks or another moderator: would you mind banning hipHippy again? I know he'll just create another alias, but he continues to hijack threads like crazy and it's pretty disruptive. It doesn't bother me, but to the extent that he is raining on other new PowerBook owners' parade, it's extremely uncool.
I second the motion!!!

In the "real world," an annoying little twit like this learns to change because he gets the living crap beat out of him for such behavior ..... er, I guess that's why his "life" is here, instead.

iBorg

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 03:23 PM

hi all, well for me i really haven't noticed the fans to much. i mean yes they come on but the middle fan only come on when i push the Ti hard like when i use adobe photoshop, flash, dreamweaver, fireworks, and freehand; then after about 5 or so minutes later it turns off. as for the right side fan that comes on when im charging the unit.

this is my first Tibook(1ghz1gig ram)and i love it! i actually sold my quiksilver(dual gig) to get my Ti, the fans on the tower where way to annoying, and besides portability is a premium for me(i can show my clients the work im doing).
  • previous systems:
    powemac 7100(slow!)
    pismo 500(loved it but was getting slow for what i do).
    quicksilver dual gig(loved it but i really missed the portability)

i dont know if the update(10.2.4) did anything to the fans, but then again they never really botherd me.

oh well just my .02.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003, 03:34 PM

small update... the fans are okay. i'm on power now and the batt has just fully charged. the fans are all off running itunes, mail, safari and some other occasional stuff.

i have the feeling it has improved a little under 10.2.4 although i used 10.2.3 only for a few days...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

dave_carroll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 05:07 PM

Maybe just wishful thinking, but the fan on my DVI 800 seems to be on less than before, now that you mention it. Will have to wait and see if it's just a coincidence.

petek
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 05:16 PM

I haven't heard any difference with the fan in my 1 GHz TiBook SD with 10.2.4, but I never noticed it that much before. About the only time I hear it alot is if I'm doing alot of disk or CD access. It certainly isn't an annoyance for me.

And my paint is holding up just fine, thanks.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 05:40 PM

oh Thanks for explaining that to me Petra, and yes the waiting is bitch, but no way near as bad as keeping the tiBook, how's your paint Petra, better not put it down too heavily !
The paint is just fine since there's a diffrent painted rim on this model than it was on the earlier models (667MHz/800MHz). I doubt it'll peal off like it did on previous models.

The PowerBook is running perfectly and I can't complain about anything except the battery life is only 3 hrs when running it in full powered mode. But then again, we do have a lot of hydro plants here in the northern Sweden so I won't run out of AC at least.
/Petra

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by ivi:
How long did it take to fix the fans? Mine aren't constantly on, but if they are its loud.

Oh and hipHippy, I love my Ti for its looks perfomance and everything else. Swapping to Aluminium is not even an issue for me. If Paint worries you then it WAS fixed on 867/1000. The only major problem is fans noise, but according to CyberPet its fixable, we are yet to see problems with Alu books. Battery life is the first candidate.
Well, if Apple Support hadn't been misunderstanding my complaints it wouldn't have taken so long, or that the first logic board being replaced wasn't faulty it would have been back in my hands within a week. Now it took a bit too long. But Apple made it up to me, they offered me a free 3 year AppleCare Protection Plan.

Now the computer is very silent, the loud fan only comes on when the computer is doing some heavy work, and it's not as loud as it was before either (actually the primary fan on the loaner machine I had while it was being repaired is louder than the secondary fan on this machine).
/Petra

rowell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2003, 06:20 PM

<offtopic>A useful feature I've found on this board when it comes to trolls is to click on the offending party's profile in one of their posts, then add them to your ignore list. That way the content of their posts never show up unless you really want to read it. No harm, no foul.</offtopic>

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by mousehouse:
small update... the fans are okay. i'm on power now and the batt has just fully charged. the fans are all off running itunes, mail, safari and some other occasional stuff.

i have the feeling it has improved a little under 10.2.4 although i used 10.2.3 only for a few days...
Same for me..I've got my tibook for a month now and I have the feeling that the fans are on less frequently with the recent 2.4 update.. but I have nothing reliable to check if it's true though.. Anyway, the fan(s) don't bother me at all now because I got completely used to them.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 08:00 PM

But then again, we do have a lot of hydro plants here in the northern Sweden so I won't run out of AC at least.
i know off topic but hydro plants cool!
probably not the type i like though.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 01:09 AM

Aren't you banned yet? Again?

My TiBook is perfect. No issues at all. Sucks to be you.

Oh, and bye. You won't be here long.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 01:12 AM

you are joking right???? The latest tiBooks are painted, therefore any model has the potential to shed paint. Why the hell do you think the new models are made from anodised aluminium!
Ever consider the paint forumulation may have changed, Boy Idiot?

Of course you haven't. You're a troll. How easily we forget.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by John123:
I agree here 100%. I moderate a forum powered by phpBB, and we can IP ban. Can't you do that here? Is he coming in DHCP?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 05:35 AM

My fans are still louder than I'd like under 10.2.4. No change from 10.2.3 that I've noticed.

I think it's not that my primary fan (on the right) is on that bothers me, but that it's louder than it should be (from what I've read from someone who has experience with the things [read asetra!])

But back on topic, no, no change with 10.2.4.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 08:21 AM

now that i think about it and take a bit of notice the fans are on less since .4 was installed. No realy heat increase. I have actualy noticed a few times that the fans turn off about 10-15 mins after watching a divx.

But then again the fan noise never realy bothered me that much.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Forum Links
Forum Rules