Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Digital Cameras- which ones work with OS X?

Digital Cameras- which ones work with OS X?
MacFan
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2001, 08:17 AM

Not really concerned about price yet but I am looking for info on which digital cameras work with OSX?

Has anyone seen a list of any type and/or what are any of you using currently and what do you like or dislike about your choices?

Thanks!

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2001, 09:17 AM

I have a Kodak DC4800 which works relatively OK with OS X. I say that because for SOME reason, even with the camera firmware upgrade and OS X 10.0.4, Image Capture REFUSES to transfer images from the camera sometimes. This weekend it literally took 15 tries for it to work. Now, there have been many occasions where transferring pix from the camera were flawless so I don't know why this is happening.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 10:00 AM

I have the DC4800 too. The problem is that it has a file size limit of about 16MB per transfer, and it's a common issue with many supported cameras I tested.

Tip: If you do several transfers of about 10-20 pics each, you'll have no problem. Fire up Image Capture before plugging in the camera, then use the "Download Some" option instead of "Download All".

I specifically bought this cameral because of its OS X support, and I am satisfied with it tremendously. Also, it's a great camera, but unforgiving if you don't understand the fundamentals.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: GORDYmac ]

<II+ to DP800>
Aug 27, 2001, 10:23 AM

I've got a Nikon 995 with a 1GB microdrive and it syncs and downloads using the Image Capture application just fine. Absolutely no issues thus far.

murk
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2001, 10:38 AM

I've got a Sony DSC-P1 and it works great with X. I was a little mystified by the NY Keynote when Steve demoed the ability of X to automatically import photos. My Sony has always done this with X, but many news sites described this as a new feature of 10.1. The only thing new I saw was the part about throwing the camera on the floor. Do some models currently not import this way, or what? Was the camera throwing a suggested work-around to the problem? I assumed Steve was going to show us something new (iPicture/iPhoto?) and couldn't get it to work.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2001, 11:40 AM

My Olympus 3030c does NOT work with X, for your info.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

davidski
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2001, 12:01 PM

I've got the Canon Elph and the Fuji 6900, and neither works with OS X image capture as yet, but each works fine in classic.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2001, 12:31 PM

Ditto regarding the previous comments about the Kodak DC4800. It is a GREAT camera and it works with OS X right out of the box. However, transferring images can be a bit flaky sometimes. Even though I only have problems relatively infrequently, I've noticed that they tend to occur when I'm using my larger 32 MB card instead of the 16 MB card that came with the camera. So perhaps this is some additional support for the "Greater Than 16 MB File Transfer = Problem" theory mentioned above. However, someone over at the Apple Discussions board mentioned that he thought the problem was the amount of available power. As we all know, digital cameras suck batteries like there is no tomorrow. Well, this person seemed to think that he experienced these problems when his battery was relatively low ... and when he plugged the camera up with the AC adapter ... the problems went away. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't confirm if this is true. But it's worth a shot to test it for yourself the next time you experience a problem.

OAW

<ssegaric>
Aug 27, 2001, 12:52 PM

What about the Nikon Coolpix 880?

<Ben>
Aug 27, 2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ssegaric&gt;:
<STRONG>What about the Nikon Coolpix 880?</STRONG>
In my experience, the Coolpix 880 doesn't work with OS X.

Richard Clark
Senior User
Aug 27, 2001, 01:23 PM

I have a Fuji Finepix 2400 Zoom. It's 2.1 megapixels and works fine in both OS 9.2.1 and OS X. I like the size, weight and design for the interface. Works smoothly and the quality is good. I'm quite impressed with it for what I need. In fact one of the departments here was my workplace is purchasing one of them today.

With OS X is automatically recognizes the camera and gives a group of settings - If and where I want to download the pictures.

Pricewise it's pretty decent too. It just depends on what you need and what your budget allows. The Fuji for me was well worth it.

: )
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

<ymike>
Aug 27, 2001, 02:47 PM

I cannot get my Nikon Coolpix 880 to work with 10.0.4 on an iBook 2001. Hoping for 10.1 to work correctly.

Group51
Senior User
Aug 27, 2001, 04:12 PM

Nikon 775 does not work with OS X. I think Steve's 10.1 demo was meant to explain that it would have support for all those cameras that work in OS 9 without additional drivers.

TC
Senior User
Aug 27, 2001, 07:04 PM

The Sony DSC 505V is detected and uploads with no problems.

The problem comes when you try to disconnect it.
When you unmount it it automatically remounts giving you a spilt second to disconnect/turn it off.
If you don�t do it quickly enough you get a warning that you didn�t eject it first.
Not a big problem, just annoying.

Also, I would recommend iView Mediapro to anybody cataloging digital images on OS X.
Nothing to see, move along.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2001, 10:19 PM

Try http://www.dcresource.com/specials/macosx.shtml

My Olympus D510Z works perfectly every time, power on or off.

(maybe Steve should have used this in the keynote? )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2001, 12:53 AM

The Olympus E-10 works perfectly. Image Capture opens automatically when the camera is connected.

However, to process images in RAW format, you have to use the CAMEDIA software which is a Classic app but does the job. PIctures taken in JPEG or TIFF can be processed in any app that recognizes those formats.

Update: There is a PhotoShop plug-in that allows direct processing of RAW images. http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/ORFpluginE.sit

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: msuper69 ]

i6s1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 01:32 AM

As you might expect, the HP 315 works is X.
YVAN EHT NIOJ

<MacFan>
Aug 28, 2001, 06:54 AM

Thank you for all the posts and links! Just want to make sure that I pick one up that works from day 1.

Thanks again!

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2001, 09:51 AM

Does anyone know why some cameras work and others don't? It's my understanding that Image Capture supports some sort of dig camera pic transfer protocol that just isn't used by some manufacturers. Can someone elaborate on this? I'd just like to have someone in the know provide some technical details. Can a manufacturer just write a driver plugin for Image Capture or do the cameras have to support that protocol?

I have a Canon Elph and it pisses me off to no end to have to use Classic and Canon's worse than crap software to download my pictures. I tried the Elph with 5f24 and 5g24 in the hopes that this new camera compatability Steve mentioned was already present, but I didn't have any success. Canon's site says they are working on a solution (it's said that since Mar 24); I only hope it is a driver for Image Capture rather than a port of their own terrible software.

Also, any news on OfotoNow being ported? I emailed them a while back and the response indicated they were working on it, but with the Kodak buyout I am beginning to have my doubts.

kman

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
<STRONG>The Olympus E-10 works perfectly. Image Capture opens automatically when the camera is connected.
</STRONG>
Not on my computer...I have tried this a million times on my G4/400 with OSX 10.0.4 and it just doesn't work

Group51
Senior User
Aug 29, 2001, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Group51:
<STRONG>Nikon 775 does not work with OS X. I think Steve's 10.1 demo was meant to explain that it would have support for all those cameras that work in OS 9 without additional drivers.</STRONG>
I must apologise. I just rebooted, and plugged in the 775 again, and to my absolute delight, it mounts and launches Image Capture. Woohoo!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2001, 04:56 PM

If a digital camera conforms to the USB Storage Class specification, no drivers are needed and the camera should mount on the desktop as a disk drive. If your camera won't mount automatically then it either doesn't conform to that protocol or there is something wrong with your system configuration. Anyway, that's the theory. Based on these and other posts, experience has shown that it doesn't always work. If it's any consolation, many Windows users have the same problem.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2001, 11:59 PM

I have a Toshiba PDR-M61 and it does NOT work on OS X. But the software it came with works fine under Classic.

grease
Aug 30, 2001, 03:02 PM

What about SmartMedia Cards? What are people's success/failures here?

I would like to get a SM or SM/CF dual card reader, but I want it to be under $75 and work in OS X seamlessly. Any recommendations.

If you have a good card reader, and your camera uses cards, you can eliminate the camera as the go-between for transfers. I believe readers are aften faster, and they also allow you to do file management on the card.

TC
Senior User
Aug 30, 2001, 06:14 PM

I have a Sony Memory Stick to PCMCIA adaptor and it doesn�t work under X.
I was really disappointed with this as it works under 9 without any drivers and is much faster than USB.
Hopefully this will be fixed in 10.1 when they get the IOPCCardBridge drivers sorted out. I have found using IORegistryExplorer that it detects my Memory Stick being inserted, but it doesn�t show up as a disk anywhere.
Nothing to see, move along.

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2001, 06:34 PM

directly from apple's site: http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...58827&x=33&y=8

if it doesn't link right, it's knowledge base article # 58827

here is the list of Kodak Cameras supported in OS X. I've had good luck with Kodak cameras. http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/...87.shtml#SEC14

with regards to the USB card readers, my Sandisk SDDR-31 CF reader works fine without needing any drivers. I think any earlier models (SDDR-5 & 11) don't work.
good luck.

<dw>
Aug 31, 2001, 09:40 AM

I have a fuji finepix 1300 (which is now being replaced by the 2300). It works extremely well in X. I just turn it on and the image app grabs the pics then they show up in my pictures folder in my home dir.

very slick

Forum Links
Forum Rules