Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard Drive: WD 80 GB Caviar or IBM 60GXP?

Hard Drive: WD 80 GB Caviar or IBM 60GXP?
tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2001, 06:01 PM

I'm trying to see what would be the best large capacity HD to get to pair with the OWC Oxford 911 Firewire enclosure. They have an already-built model using the Western Digital Caviar 80 GB drive, or but I am looking also at an IBM Deskstar 75GXP or 60GXP. Has anyone had much experience with either? Which brand is more reliable, i.e. less errors, better shock/stress absorption? Is there any significant difference in performance? Is one significantly quieter than the other? In terms of how much space you get for the dollar, the WD drive seems better. However, if it is super loud, that would be bad.

Also, can either of these drives spin down, i.e. go to sleep?

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 07:16 PM

i'd get the ibm deskstar 60 gxp, I have the 75gxp which are pretty similar and they are pretty quiet granted I have no experience with the WD cavier...you can get cheap drives at www.newegg.com

they seem to be cheap and the pretty good...

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 07:18 PM

nana2
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 06:31 AM

Go with the WD, the IBM 75GXP series has reliability problems.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 07:53 AM

Hello,

given the choice between IBM and Western Digital, I would go for the IBM hard drive clearly and without doubts.

Looking back at the last ten years and about fourty hard drives:

Bad experience with Western Digital Caviar drives - several times.

Bad experience with IBM drives (mostly UltraStar, i.e. SCSI drives) - none.

Best regards,

Walter.

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 07:58 AM

As for loudness, this property depends on the rotational speed of the drive more than on its brand.

You should expect a steep increase in noise between 7,200 and 10,000 rpm especially. A 5,400 rpm drive is surely still even more quiet, but this will be at the cost of read/write performance, of course.

Walter.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 10:47 AM

There are some speed tests here.

I got an IBM 75GXP and put it in an Oxford 911 chipset-enclosure, and I am a happy camper.

petek
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 01:11 PM

The older IBM 75GXP drives seem to have a reliability problem. See: http://www.arstechnica.com/ for info on a class action suit and other info on them. I have had a 45 GB 75GXP for awhile and it just started developing bad blocks.

I haven't used recent WD drives; my other recent experience was with a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 40 GB drive, which gave me problems when formatted with Drive Setup. I just reformatted it with HD SpeedTools and copied everything off the 75GXP...

tycheung  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 10:56 PM

Hmmm...any word if this has been corrected (or carried over) in any way with the IBM 60 GXP?

Forum Links
Forum Rules